Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times

Advertisements

None here in MN, with the exception of the HOV lanes on 394 between downtown Mpls and the western suburbs. Many people here have an entitlement mentality and firmly believe they should not have to pay to drive on any road in this state. They get quite vocal about this whenever toll roads are proposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times
We've got the famous Pennsylvania Turnpike (which connects to the Ohio Turnpike on the west and an extension of the NJ Turnpike on the east), the Northeast Extension from Philly to Scranton, tons of toll bridges into N.J. (and a few free ones too!), and I believe there are a few other toll roads in the western part of the state.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,454 times
There are no toll roads in CT.

I only know of one in CO (but there may be more), and that's east of Denver. There are no toll roads through the city though.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
We've got the famous Pennsylvania Turnpike (which connects to the Ohio Turnpike on the west and an extension of the NJ Turnpike on the east), the Northeast Extension from Philly to Scranton, tons of toll bridges into N.J. (and a few free ones too!), and I believe there are a few other toll roads in the western part of the state.
a small section of route 66 near delmont/greensburg in western pa is a toll road.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:17 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
They are all over the place in Florida not to mention numerous bridges have tolls on them as well.

Texas only has toll roads around the major cities.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 083190 View Post
Which cities don't pay tolls on their highways. St. Louis and California don't seem to have any. Dallas/Ft. Worth had a couple. Many eastern cities have them. Chicago has too many in my opinon and the ipass system must be confusing for tourists. Do you pay a higher tax instead?
The only highway in Chicago that is tolled is the Chicago Skyway, all of 7 miles long. The rest of numerous miles of expressway in Chicago are toll-free; that includes I-57, the Kingery Expressway, the Bishop Ford Freeway, the Dan Ryan Expressway, the Stevenson Expressway, the Eisenhower Expressway, the Kennedy Expressway and the Edens Expressway.

There are, however, tolls out in the suburbs. It will cost you all of about three bucks to drive around Chicago if you have a compatible electronic toll pass such as I-Pass or EZ-Pass. I'm not sure what's confusing about it either. If you have a compatible electronic toll pass, you use the electronic tolling lanes. If you don't, you use the cash booths. How is that different from any other state with an electronic toll pass system?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
^ I was going to say, there's a network of toll roads that ring around and radiate from the Chicago suburbs, but I've never noticed how it would be confusing. Two "belways" around the metro, a toll road to the northwest, and a toll road to the west.

There are toll booths every once in awhile that say things like "Pay toll ahead - $0.80 for cars". You have Ipass and you just drive through the open lanes on the left and don't even think about it. You don't have Ipass and you pull over to the right and pay a bit of cash. How is that confusing?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM

146 posts, read 388,443 times
We have 0 toll roads in WI but I think we should put some at the IL/WI border because if we travel to Chicago we have to pay at least 3 or 4 tolls.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
There are no toll roads here in San Antonio.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Most of I-80 thru Ohio is a toll road, not too sure about any others. I think it may be the only one.
Actually, portions of I-76, I-80 & I-90 are toll roads as they combine to be the OH Turnpike. That's it though for Ohio.

Here in SC, there are just 2 small toll roads that were built in the past decade or so. US-278/Cross Island Parkway on Hilton Head Island, basically just shortens the trip across the island by 5 minutes or so, think it costs $1. Also, there is I-185 near Greenville which connects I-385 to I-85, it also I believe is $1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.