Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times

Advertisements

I've been to many fast food joints and you'll find young goof offs in every one of them. Don't **** them off or they may spit in your food, I've seen it done. By the way KFC was never very good but in the last few years they have really gotten bad. You couldn't pay me to eat that greasy garbage, and I like fried chicken ! Here where I live in Montana you can't go into any fast food joint without seeing the kids goofing off when they should be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,268 times
[quote=TomDot;6267508]nyc2va76, the question you should be asking these people is: If this were your business how would you feel if your staff were this inattentive and/or treated customers this way?

I can pretty much guarantee that where I am in MA, the franchisee would want to have this type of information. You should drop a dime.[/quote

I called the corporate office about an hour after the incident. I will do a follow up on Monday to see what happened.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:41 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
With that attitude, I am surprised they didn't jump over the counter and beat you down. First of all, KFC is very unhealthy and you shouldn't eat there. Secondly, fast food establishments are not known for good customer service. Chic-fil-a may be an exception, but it's from Atlanta and only found in the South. Finally, the customer service in the northeast is not only slow, lethargic and downright rude, but those of us from the South have enough human decency to realize that if you rush through life, you reach your death more rapidly.
Correction: Chick-Fil-A is an exception...the service there is consistently good, even at peak times. I suspect it's because they pay better than the avg FF establishment and employee morale is higher. You can also see that the employees have received better training and aren't just thrown on the line.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 AM

22 posts, read 49,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I was in a Dunkin Donuts in Massachusetts and it took forever for my Latte. Everyone else in line ask if I got anything special in my order, I think the only thing special were the workers.
Were they really "special" or are you denigrating these hardworking individuals? If it is the latter I think you should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
I'm at KFC last night around 9 PM when I noticed there was not anyone working the register. I waited 5 minutes before saying "Is there anyone working the register". I didn't get a response. The next time I raised my voice to say the same thing and their response was " We heard you the first time and I don't have to get loud. Well I told the workers there, If I don't get any F*&@!n service I will have to call the corporate headquarters and put in a complaint. They had the nerve to say that they have a right to refuse anyone they feel.
I'm tired of low class uneducated people in the south working at such establishments where they don't give 2 cents about their job. All I wanted was an acknowledgement that I was there and that someone will be there to take my order in a moment. I'm just used to the ways of the Northeast where you get in get what you need and leave. I feel that I should not have to compromise my expectations of Customer Service for anyone. Why are people in the South so slow when it comes to prompt service.
You keep saying "in the South" as if things up "North" are fine and dandy. Get real buddy, it's life. Oh yeah, the South just loves Yankees.....

Old 11-22-2008, 11:07 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Sorry to break rank with most of you here, but as a retail warrior myself (Lowe's Home Improvement) I find the behavior of those KFC workers to be nothing but boorish, unprofessional, and callous, at best. You get out of your job what you put into it. I may not make a "killing" working in my position as a customer service associate for a big-box store, but given this terrible recession we're headed into I'm just grateful to have a source of income that gets me by. No matter what mood I'm in at the time when I head into my shift, I always attempt to let bygones be bygones and put on a friendly, professional demeanor for my customers. 95% of them appreciate a smile, a pleasant "How are you today?", and a "Can I help you with anything today?" We're actually instructed to ask people "What project are you working on today," but I'm not going to approach someone looking at an artificial Christmas tree or bird seed and ask them something so impersonal.

My only gripe with YOU, the customers, is that you don't like to "wait your turn." Often times I'm alone in our very busy department. If I'm already assisting a customer with a pressure washer or grill, I'm not going to excuse myself to help you just because you're rolling your eyes at me, sighing, and doing the "pee pee dance." If the person just ahead of you happens to be an elderly woman who goes "heh?" every two seconds and requires special assistance from me, then just grin and bear it. Walk around a bit to cool your jets and then return to a time when hopefully I will have finished assisting her OR (here's a thought) go hunt down another employee if you're in such a mad rush! Even better yet, do your Internet research yourselves, as I and many of my friends do, so that you can more finely-tune your inquiries to specifics and take less of my time away from other customers. I dread busy days when someone tells me "I don't know a thing about grills!" To be quite frank I do NOT have time to be spending 20-25-minutes with each of you customers when I'm alone and have others queuing up behind you. Put yourselves in their shoes. Wouldn't you feel annoyed if someone was distracting the only employee in the department for such a long time? Put yourselves in my shoes. Do you think you'd enjoy having to help someone who did ZERO preliminary research into their purchase decision while having to smile and grin like an idiot at a semi-circle of others huffing and puffing behind that customer?

The best was one evening when a cat fight actually erupted at our store when a middle-aged woman tried to grab my attention away from an older woman whom I was already assisting. The middle-aged woman complained that I was taking too long with her when she needed help, and then the original older woman took it upon herself to defend me as being very helpful to her. They exchanged a HEATED discussion back and forth as I (and others) just looked on with mild amusement. The middle-aged woman left with a huff while the older woman returned to me as if nothing had just happened.

Ahhh...the joys of living in the New York City exurbs where everyone is in a damn hurry to get NOWHERE! If you're in such a damn hurry, then do me a favor---DON'T SHOP AT OUR STORE!!! I NEVER shop when I'm in a rush. Why do others?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:18 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Correction: Chick-Fil-A is an exception...the service there is consistently good, even at peak times. I suspect it's because they pay better than the avg FF establishment and employee morale is higher. You can also see that the employees have received better training and aren't just thrown on the line.
Plus, Chick-fil-a offers generous college scholarships for its employees and is closed on Sundays. I'm not trying to wax religious here, but back when I worked retail I was always in a sour mood if I had to work on Sundays. If I were to work for a fast food joint where I knew I would never again have to work on a Sunday, I would be a much happier employee the other 6 days of the week.

And besides, Chick-fil-a is really, really good!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:31 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
We noticed problems with service in New Orleans. Sometimes it was just slowness, a few times plain rudeness, and once we realized that it was intentional (they wanted a few bucks slipped under the table to do their job. . . but I don't play that game, and I let my mouth force them to get on it).

Service here where I live is very poor, too. Lack of competency, under-staff, and this covers many kinds of service. My husband and I have both notice an over-all improvement of service in California over the Portland-Metro area. (I can't speak for the rest of Oregon.)

Old 11-22-2008, 01:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
I'm at KFC last night around 9 PM when I noticed there was not anyone working the register. I waited 5 minutes before saying "Is there anyone working the register". I didn't get a response. The next time I raised my voice to say the same thing and their response was " We heard you the first time and I don't have to get loud. Well I told the workers there, If I don't get any F*&@!n service I will have to call the corporate headquarters and put in a complaint. They had the nerve to say that they have a right to refuse anyone they feel.
I'm tired of low class uneducated people in the south working at such establishments where they don't give 2 cents about their job. All I wanted was an acknowledgement that I was there and that someone will be there to take my order in a moment. I'm just used to the ways of the Northeast where you get in get what you need and leave. I feel that I should not have to compromise my expectations of Customer Service for anyone. Why are people in the South so slow when it comes to prompt service.

no matter where you are in the u.s did you actually think a high class worker would do minimum wage work?

Sometimes it simple as this

You are in a grocery store and the person in front of you hands the cashier her credit card. The cashier looks at the card and says, "Are you related to the Smiths in Such-and-such county?"
Customer: "Why yes, my grandfather is George Smith."
Cashier: "I go to church with your grandparents."
Customer: "Then you must know my cousin Gracie."
Cashier: "Yes, she just married that boy from Such-and-such, didn't she?"
Customer: "Yes, she did. It was a beautiful wedding."

And so on, and so on, and so on until your head feels like it's about to crack open and spill your brains all over the floor. This is torture to a Yankee, who is used to getting things done as quickly as possible.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
no matter where you are in the u.s did you actually think a high class worker would do minimum wage work?

Sometimes it simple as this

You are in a grocery store and the person in front of you hands the cashier her credit card. The cashier looks at the card and says, "Are you related to the Smiths in Such-and-such county?"
Customer: "Why yes, my grandfather is George Smith."
Cashier: "I go to church with your grandparents."
Customer: "Then you must know my cousin Gracie."
Cashier: "Yes, she just married that boy from Such-and-such, didn't she?"
Customer: "Yes, she did. It was a beautiful wedding."

And so on, and so on, and so on until your head feels like it's about to crack open and spill your brains all over the floor. This is torture to a Yankee, who is used to getting things done as quickly as possible.
That would be torture to anyone...which area of the country one is from wouldn't make a difference. I personally have lived in the South all of my life and have never experienced anything like the above scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.