Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 06:07 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
WORST: The whole North. People really love to overhype the NORTH. Like its some heaven.
Lol.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You had to in STL.
I live here. You visited. I'm right. You're wrong.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Well then I was told different while I was down there. I also don't know why people's arms went up in a hailing way when standing looking at a bus when no cars were around lol. I believe you.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 74,195 times
worst- Reno, NV
best- New York City

Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I don't know. I do a lot of research before I go places, so usually I learn what to expect.

So for the worst, I'd say San Juan PR. It really felt like an uncomfortable place. I've been to what many people would consider "ghettos" and been perfectly comfortable, but San Juan was just down right uncomfortable even in Old San Juan. Some beautiful areas though.

Best: Baltimore. I know it's got many problems, but it gets such a bad rap, I expected no redeeming qualities. The inner harbor was beautiful as were some of the neighborhoods. Best baseball stadium I've ever seen (I spend many summer nights at Fenway Park too, btw) and I enjoyed the people. Baltimore has a lot more than people give it credit for.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
best: Pittsburgh and Philly. People made these places out to be crime ridden warzones. They had lots of offer in the terms of culture and uniqueness

worst: Charlotte and Virginia Beach. These places were glorified suburbs that were very boring and bland. I spent a month in each place and couldn't tell you one thing that makes each unique.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,607 times
Best: Washington DC. Before I moved here, I thought DC was just monuments, the White House, bad neighborhoods and little else. I didn't imagine the variety of neighborhoods, the huge downtown area, and the overall grand majesty of it, and the ease of getting around.

San Antonio. Who would have thought a city in Texas would be America's Venice? The Riverwalk is awesome.

Worst: Atlanta. I was bored to tears. It looked like any other generic, non-descript US city like Indianopolis. Downtown is dead.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM

44 posts, read 144,379 times
Cities that surprise me:
Seattle - great neighborhoods, beautiful terrain
Raleigh - the city, not suburbia around it
Pittsburgh - better than its national reputation, although still a ways to go
Mobile, AL - was probably 5 years ago I was there. Tons of friendly people gives it a great feel
Nashville - live music culture was great
NYC - mind-blowing level of everything, although I would never consider living in NYC because of the COL.

In the middle:
Philadelphia, Cleveland - Two extremes; superb neighboorhoods intermingled with horrendous wastelands

Cities that underwhelm:
San Francisco - not as great as its reputation IMO. Overpriced and crowded, although the hills are wonderful.
Miami - amazing that Miami is an American city - feels like a third world country in some places.
Va Beach - boring suburb. Little culture.
El Paso - Run down and boring. Although when you spend time in nearby Cuidad Juarez, MX, you'll be happy to cross the border back into El Paso. Feels like paradise.
Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse - blah

Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Default More impressive than I thought

Marble Falls, Texas just might be one of the most beautiful small towns in the entire country, but until my first real visit a few weeks ago, I had never given the place a second thought.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjhMachine View Post
Cities that surprise me:
Seattle - great neighborhoods, beautiful terrain
Raleigh - the city, not suburbia around it
Pittsburgh - better than its national reputation, although still a ways to go
Mobile, AL - was probably 5 years ago I was there. Tons of friendly people gives it a great feel
Nashville - live music culture was great
NYC - mind-blowing level of everything, although I would never consider living in NYC because of the COL.

In the middle:
Philadelphia, Cleveland - Two extremes; superb neighboorhoods intermingled with horrendous wastelands

Cities that underwhelm:
San Francisco - not as great as its reputation IMO. Overpriced and crowded, although the hills are wonderful.
Miami - amazing that Miami is an American city - feels like a third world country in some places.
Va Beach - boring suburb. Little culture.
El Paso - Run down and boring. Although when you spend time in nearby Cuidad Juarez, MX, you'll be happy to cross the border back into El Paso. Feels like paradise.
Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse - blah
Come on, how can all of those Upstate NY cities be blah? You to explore a bit to find some good stuff in each of them. Man, you are making me think twice about harrisburg too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.