Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,423 times

Advertisements

Okay, I don't know if I have this in the right place, but here's my dillema anyways...
Currently I reside in Iowa and I absolutely love the ocean and the hospitatlity of the South. Unfortunately I don't have much money saved up, am young and inexperienced and haven't finished college yet. All the same I seem to be stuck in the same rut here and the jobs that are open to me are terrible. Now maybe I'm just a simple minded dreamer, but are there areas out there where you don't have to have at least an associate's degree or 2 years ft experience to qualify for a decent paying job ($18000-24000/yr)?
Then I wonder as well should I be looking towards SC, GA, and the Florida Panhandle, or should I check out some of the smaller cities in CA? Any input will be much appreciated and I apologize if this is in the wrong area. Oh, and to all the Midwesterners out there, I don't mean for this post to be misinterpreted as me disliking Iowa. I guess you could say I dislike Cedar Rapids, but I really do love my homestate, and will miss it; but I still feel this unrelenting drive for adventure.

Thanks again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
In my opinion, if you're in a rut and living in a community with a bleak economic outlook, you really have nothing to lose in picking up and moving someplace new. If the jobs and the pay sucks wherever you choose to move as well, at least you can be distanced from other factors that may have contributed to being in your rut, and also be closer to the ocean.

You can find jobs that pay those wages for high school graduates in many metro areas, but of course you'd have to take into account the cost of living situation as well considering Iowa is a pretty cheap state. It's best to have something, whether it be an Associates degree or some sort of technical degree to open the door wider, but you can get your foot in the door with entry level positions in many companies that pay poorly and work your way up, or start out with a temp agency perhaps. It's doable. There's also waiting tables. It's not the most glamorous job but if doing it full time, you can put away a decent amount of cash. It can "support" you. Hotel front desk clerks, security guards, shuttle drivers, and UPS are just some of the places that hire high school grads and pay the salary you're looking for.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 PM

Thanks! It really helps to know that I'm not just crazy for wanting to do this, and that's kinda what I was thinking of as far as jobs...
Do you think staying and getting an associates in like business admin and then moving would be a better idea or would I be just as well off doing it in say SC?
Anyways thanks for the input and I'll check into cost of living and stuff around the metro areas...at least I can get on my feet and then decide what to do with life...plus like ya said at least I can be by the ocean

Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
The salary you consider decent ($18k - $24k) is peanuts in most coastal areas. IMO you should consider transferring to a university in the geographic area you would like to live in someday. While you are in school, you can get to know the area better, and often the school you graduate from will be able to help you get a job. The west coast is very expensive and unless you plan on going into the type of work that pays very well, I would instead go to the east coast.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,289 times
Check out Verizon. We know a kid working for them making $11/hr. in the Seattle area and going to college full-time at night. Rents are in the $600-plus area where she is and it's livable. Verizon might offer training in your area which is transferable to another location.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
Would you consider going to college in a Southern state? You could live there, work on a degree, and keep a job on the side. Some ideas:

Gulfport-Biloxi, MS: My home, right on the Gulf, hosts William Carey University, Blue Cliff College, and a Tulane branch. An hour north is University of Southern MS at Hattiesburg.

Mobile, AL: Also on the Gulf Coast, hosts University of South Alabama, Spring Hill College, and University of Mobile.

There are also several community colleges in both areas. I know Perkinston campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College has dorms.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM

268 posts, read 1,199,794 times
As a former Californian, I would personally recommend against considering anything in that state, well at least from say Los Angeles on south. Yes, the weather is great but it doesn't offset the high cost of living. Stick to the other areas that you are looking at and I'm sure that you will find what you want and be able to live in any of them fairly comfortably.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 PM

19 posts, read 53,678 times
You couldtry transferring to a 4 yr school in one of the states you listed and living in a dorm. That would be a tempory fix until you found a place and a good job. Good luck

Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have much money saved up, am young and inexperienced and haven't finished college yet. All the same I seem to be stuck in the same rut here and the jobs that are open to me are terrible
OH MY LORD, YOU'RE ME WHEN I WAS 18! I was stupid, young, foolish, innocent (well maybe not innocent), inexperienced, adventurous, and was going to grab the world by it's ropes and hang on for the ride. I actually came from Remsen, IA (thought about going to UNI too). You sound exactly like me (except I went to ASU instead of a college in Iowa). I always felt a yearning to go out and explore. I was adventurous and nieve at the same.

My best advice is to follow your dreams, it worked for me. You're young and you'll have plenty of opportunities to start over if it doesn't work for you. Move where your heart is, don't let the negative comments of others affect where your heart is set on. Trust me, you'll never be happy if you live in a place you don't want to be. I disliked Iowa; I loved the cities. Remember, it's much easier to start over when you're young than when you're old!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. I guess school is probably my best bet, but I'm not sure I want to be an out of stater going to a state school because of the difference in tuition. Although I was kind of leaning toward a community college or some sort of business school with dorms, maybe even one of the 'private' schools if I could find the loans for it. I'll be researching the schools you suggested Mississippienne...both locations interest me immensley.
Also thank you to SpeedyAZ and all for letting me know I'm not as crazy as others in IA would have me think. The support on here is phenom. The only things left holding me back now are deciding where to go and a maybe, could be job opprotunity ....but if it doesn't pan out I know sorta where I'm heading....got my tax $ all put away just for this adventure.
Hopefully I'll be narrowing down schools, cities, states, etc. Any input on this sort of thing is much appreciated as well...oh and thanks to Goodbye California, cuz I definately needed someone like you to tell me not to go there. Though my brain was rationalizing why not to, still, I was debating the other coast. I think I would be much happier with the south east though.
Oh, a couple of quick questions before I end my rant:
1. Are there any key points I should know about certain states/areas
i.e. laws, crime rates, high costs of living, gas prices, etc
2. Does anyone on here ride off road motorcycles or observed trials?
3. How long must you live in a state to become a resident?

I'm sure by next time I'll have more questions....thanks again for all your advice and experience. It's absolutely amazing to have people to talk these ideas over with. Can't wait to get out on the road to adventure!!! Woohoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.