Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
One thought ran through my head when I saw all those pictures of mega churches....

Wouldn't the money spent on those churches be better used helping the poor? Helping those congregation members in need? Instead of building a multi million dollar (and tax exempt, of course) for people to "Get Their Jesus On', maybe they could have used that money and that land to build a sanctuary, a school, a shelter etc.
Actually the vast majority of mega-churches do all of that and much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
This is interesting you seem to know exactly how they spend all of their money. So one moment... what are you proposing? It would have been best if the mega churches built a 5,000 worship tent instead of a huge building to serve their 30,000 congregations- and donated the rest off? Do you think their congregations would have continued to stay that large if that were the case? And if their congregations didn't stay that large- then how would the money for future charity keep coming in?

Sure I think a cafe inside a church is a little much, but who am I to judge? There are less than ideal things about every single church in America, from the large mega churches to tiny one room baptist churches. That's what's wonderful about being able to choose where you want to worship, if you even want to go to church at all, etc. Those people make you sick? Of all of the people in this world that I hear about everyday, a couple of Christians who want to put a skate park outside of their church for kids to use hardly get me going.

I assure you, every single mega church on that list has a charity program- if not more than one. Now whether it's enough or not, that is between them and God.

Well, I don't know exactly what they spend, but I spent a lot of time involved in the construction industry and I know those buildings aren't cheap. Plus, do you really need a smoothie bar? Video games? a skate park? I always though the point of belonging to a church was to find others who believe in what you believe in, to share common goals and to 'walk with christ', if you will. Not to go to a giant air conditioned building, sip on a smoothie and play the latest ps3 game...

Of course, instead of building that giant mega church, they could have used that valuable land to build a homeless shelter,animal shelter etc... but instead built an ostentation temple to house 'worshipers'. The churches in my area are medium sized, plenty big enough for people to worship at any time during the day or night and are kept sparse and clean, which means that instead of focusing on 'god bling', they can serve their community and those around them, just like the bible/torah/etc told them to do.

I'm an atheist and I've probably put in more charity hours than all of those people involved with the mega churches.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know exactly what they spend, but I spent a lot of time involved in the construction industry and I know those buildings aren't cheap. Plus, do you really need a smoothie bar? Video games? a skate park? I always though the point of belonging to a church was to find others who believe in what you believe in, to share common goals and to 'walk with christ', if you will. Not to go to a giant air conditioned building, sip on a smoothie and play the latest ps3 game...

Of course, instead of building that giant mega church, they could have used that valuable land to build a homeless shelter,animal shelter etc... but instead built an ostentation temple to house 'worshipers'. The churches in my area are medium sized, plenty big enough for people to worship at any time during the day or night and are kept sparse and clean, which means that instead of focusing on 'god bling', they can serve their community and those around them, just like the bible/torah/etc told them to do.

I'm an atheist and I've probably put in more charity hours than all of those people involved with the mega churches.
Doubt it, the tides are considered charity since it not only goes to the church, but to help fund charity events and special events for the community. The other things like video games and skate parks is where members can get together and get to know eachother and possible form relationships. People who attend churches donate up to 200 dollars every sunday to the churches.

Don't criticize something just because your agianst it; I know some churches are only for the money, but many churches aren't. You'll really should learn more about what a church is, instead of claiming it as a place where all we do is worship all day.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Doubt it, the tides are considered charity since it not only goes to the church, but to help fund charity events and special events for the community. The other things like video games and skate parks is where members can get together and get to know eachother and possible form relationships. People who attend churches donate up to 200 dollars every sunday to the churches.

Don't criticize something just because your agianst; I know some churches are only for the money, but many churches aren't.
Yeah, but we are talking about mega-churches that look like the one in California someone posted earlier in the thread. I mean, come on. You have to admit that's a bit much. That's not a church, that's a church theme park!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yeah, but we are talking about mega-churches that look like the one in California someone posted earlier in the thread. I mean, come on. You have to admit that's a bit much. That's not a church, that's a church theme park!
and your point is?? No one is forcing anyone to attend these types of places, it's a great and friendly environment for familes and friends to get together who are just alike and share ideas and not have to worry about being judge for being themselves (which happens more than many people think).

Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
The whole purpose of the smoothy bars and such is to get teens interested and in church. If that works, why not?

Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
The whole purpose of the smoothy bars and such is to get teens interested and in church. If that works, why not?
You're advocating bribery?

Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Exactly. I'll admit teens usually aren't as involved with church as more mature adults, but things like this keep them interested and more involved. Off the streets, away from drugs, committing crime,etc

You guys have to admit that churches have kept this country from becoming even more of a bigger hellhole. It keeps many people in line and out of trouble; I've seen many people change their whole lives just by attending church ONE time.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You're advocating bribery?
Your an atheist, and as an atheist I'd expect you not to even judge these people especially considering all the whining most atheist do when someone simply ask them "what church do you attend?".

Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. I'll admit teens usually aren't as involved with church as more mature adults, but things like this keep them interested and more involved. Off the streets, away from drugs, committing crime,etc

You guys have to admit that churches have kept this country from becoming even more of a bigger hellhole. It keeps many people in line and out of trouble; I've seen many people change their whole lives just by attending church ONE time.
divorce rates are lower in states with lower church attendance, for instance. i'd have to do a little research on other stats (crime, etc). however, it all correlates to education and income, not church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.