Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

23 year old marketing graduate seeking American city similar to Toronto, Montreal, Sunderland, liberal views, enjoy clubs, deep discussions other than reality television

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

The spell checker blanked out *** laude for the OP - LMBO!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
This is an understatement. The people are messed up, especially the women. Fortunately, later this year I'll be saying "fair thee well, get thy lost" to these people and this place. Somebody else can deal with these jerks...

To the OP. If you move to Bawston, be prepared to have room mates. You won't be able to afford an apartment on your own initially unless you have a job lined up prior to arriving. Bostonians are not know for being warm or friendly. I have family and friends there and when visiting the area, to be honest, I've found that aside from my family and friends, they are not always the most pleasant of people. New Yorkers seem friendlier than people in the Boston region.
Honestly, it must be your issue. I've never met anyone who had a hard time getting along with people in Omaha or KC as a whole.

I realize you're a radio girl/guy, and you're supposed to be somewhat confrontational and objective, but you haven't a clue what you're talking about. You just sound like a whiney baby, if you ask me.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Honestly, it must be your issue. I've never met anyone who had a hard time getting along with people in Omaha or KC as a whole.

I realize you're a radio girl/guy, and you're supposed to be somewhat confrontational and objective, but you haven't a clue what you're talking about. You just sound like a whiney baby, if you ask me.
Well booger flipper, I hate to bring you the bad news but I am not the only person that has had a tremendous amount of negative experiences in this part of the country. A friend from Ohio and another from Alabama have had similar experiences. And I've met people from Texas, Ohio and Minnesota that also dislike this area and want to move. This region seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator and independent thinkers and people that possess free will don't seem to be welcome in this ultra conformist society.

You people think you are so tough out here? I had people calling me a little girl from back east, pick fights during road rage incidents and then also death threats. Well, the people that picked fights with me ran away when they soon learned I could fight. That never happened back east...

And I'm the whiney baby? I've noticed a trend on this board that whenever someone either posts a negative experience about Comaha or has something that might be considered less than positive about the place, the people from NE get bent out of shape over it. This proves my point... You can't handle ANYONE that displays an independent thought or act.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 01-05-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Taking all things in your first and subsequent posts into consideration, NYC or Chicago. The job market for your degree and the type of people/social atmosphere are the areas where they break the tie over some of the other cities recommended, IMO.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
Northerners are very blunt! You'll find that in Boston too. I always say- if a northerner dislikes you, they'll say it to your face. If a southerner dislikes you, they'll wait till you walk away.

This was hard for me to adjust to when I briefly lived in Texas for college- I always felt like people were fake. It will be something I need to adjust to when choosing to relocate to the south. Spend a bit of time up north and see if you can handle the northern brashness. I like it! It's real to me, and I find northerners very nice, but I know a lot of people don't get used to it, and I understand why! We're very intense sometimes!
You sure will have to adjust again. I'm making the opposite move partly because I prefer bluntness and brashness to the fake pleasantries Texans are famous for. Sure, it makes day-to-day life pleasant, but it also makes for a lot of fake fairweather friends, gossiping, superficiality, and just plain weirdness... topics deemed taboo because they shouldn't be spoken of in polite company, backing out of plans with little or no notice because something better came along, and that sort of thing.

Last edited by houstoner; 01-05-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM

193 posts, read 482,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You sure will have to adjust again. I'm making the opposite move partly because I prefer bluntness and brashness to the fake pleasantries Texans are famous for. Sure, it makes day-to-day life pleasant, but it also makes for a lot of fake fairweather friends, gossiping, superficiality, and just plain weirdness... topics deemed taboo because they shouldn't be spoken of in polite company, backing out of plans with little or no notice because something better came along, and that sort of thing.
I prefer bluntness as well, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make. I lived in Texas before (Baylor U.) and if I could handle Baylor, which is mostly a bunch of half-intelligent rich kids, I think I'll be fine again. Of course, at Baylor, I had to pick and choose who I go to know. Some people were wretchedly fake backstabbers. Some were very normal, down to earth, and dare I say, New England-esque.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I prefer bluntness as well, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make. I lived in Texas before (Baylor U.) and if I could handle Baylor, which is mostly a bunch of half-intelligent rich kids, I think I'll be fine again. Of course, at Baylor, I had to pick and choose who I go to know. Some people were wretchedly fake backstabbers. Some were very normal, down to earth, and dare I say, New England-esque.
Oh, Waco, eh? In some ways, it may be better there because people aren't so busy and in such a hurry, plus they're kind of isolated and have fewer choices... in everything... people, stuff to do, etc.... do I sound bitter?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Oh, Waco, eh? In some ways, it may be better there because people aren't so busy and in such a hurry, plus they're kind of isolated and have fewer choices... in everything... people, stuff to do, etc.... do I sound bitter?
Well I never actually interacted with anyone in Waco... we never really left campus. It was really just Baylor kids which were mostly from Sugarland, Katy, The Woodlands, and Highland Park- if I remember the names right. those tended to be the most popular areas people were from- so I was more aware of Houston and Dallas culture- which I can't say I loved. I'll be checking out Austin hoping it's a little bit more of a melting pot. Not expecting a completely liberal oasis like many do, but hoping to like it a bit more than the Houston and Dallas cultures.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Well I never actually interacted with anyone in Waco... we never really left campus. It was really just Baylor kids which were mostly from Sugarland, Katy, The Woodlands, and Highland Park- if I remember the names right. those tended to be the most popular areas people were from- so I was more aware of Houston and Dallas culture- which I can't say I loved. I'll be checking out Austin hoping it's a little bit more of a melting pot. Not expecting a completely liberal oasis like many do, but hoping to like it a bit more than the Houston and Dallas cultures.
Haha... Those are suburbs with suburban culture, which is the same in all Texas cities. Except HP, which is its own rich little privileged oasis in the middle of Dallas. Neither Houston or Dallas is like its suburbs. The neighborliness and fake friendliness I'm talking about is no different anywhere in Texas, is the thing. But you will see for yourself. Austin is mostly made up of former Houstonians and Dallasites, and the UT students are mostly from all around Texas, including the small towns, so I wouldn't expect a huge cultural shift as far as that goes. You will get the same kind of polite niceties and "friendliness" there because it's a Texas/South thing that has been taught and passed on from generation to generation and is now ingrained, just like the northern "bluntness," I'm sure. But then again, any city would be a huge cultural shift from a private Baptist university bubble (Baylor) in a small city in the middle of Texas (Waco) because that's an artificial environment without much diversity. I'd hate for anyone to judge a state, city, area based on a very small sampling of its college kids.

Last edited by houstoner; 01-05-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Haha... Those are suburbs with suburban culture, which is the same in all Texas cities. Except HP, which is its own rich little privileged oasis in the middle of Dallas. Neither Houston or Dallas is like its suburbs. The neighborliness and fake friendliness I'm talking about is no different anywhere in Texas, is the thing. But you will see for yourself. Austin is mostly made up of former Houstonians and Dallasites, and the UT students are mostly from all around Texas, including the small towns, so I wouldn't expect a huge cultural shift as far as that goes. You will get the same kind of "friendliness" there. But then again, any city would be a huge cultural shift from a private Baptist university bubble (Baylor) in a small city in the middle of Texas (Waco). I'd hate for anyone to judge a state, city, area based on a very small sampling of its college kids.
Oh I'm definitely not, which is why although I wasn't in love with Texas after my visit, I am coming back and giving it another shot as part of my relocation research. It's been 4 years and so it will be interesting to see the state again with a new eye We're going to be visiting 12 cities (leaving in 10 days), 4 of them being Texas cities, so looking forward to it! I'll definitely be back on CD updating about my experiences.

Sorry OP for taking over! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.