Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissblessed1 View Post
oh yeas, Big Sur, lovely, just lovely.
Hope to get to those Hawiian Islands one day....
Try Kailua near Kaneohe. The Northshore. Makaha (you're practically alone in this area.) This is on the island of O'ahu.

Waieli is on the island of Kuai, very remote. You could camp there and have bonfires. Stars as far as the eyes can see. During the summer at night, you can see our outer edge of the milky way. It's a faint white wispy stars across the night sky. There were many time that we could see space satelites slowly move across the horizon.

On the Island of Maui, Honokohua area is remote as well, but you do have to hike 14 miles to get to it (very hilly( not for the faint-hearted).

I lived in Hawai'i for a number of years before moving to LA.

I've been to other beaches across the US, but nothing compares to Hawai'i. Thats why it's chosen # 1 all the time for US beaches but popular travel mags. But, it's also a matter of opinion.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 11:55 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
I love Virginia Beach. Its fun and exciting and they have the cutest girls.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
well, Isle of Palm SC and Sullivans Island beaches are nice not crowded and so so waves, but it is my home beach so I have to brag. Folly beach is awesome when not too crowded with a fishing pier, great surfing and lots of sand. all very near to Charleston minutes away
NJ Island Beach state park is just lovely, an hour from Philly. Cape May beaches are nice ok waves.
Thanks carolinajack! I'm going to check out Folly Beach and also Isle of Palm and Sullivan's Island.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:41 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
Another proud vote for Lake Michigan beaches! Especially the beaches near Saugatuck. The sunsets are unbelievable.
Also Barefoot Beach in Collier County Florida (near Bonita Springs and Naples).

Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 PM

134 posts, read 438,726 times
Destin/Ft. Walton/Panama City Beach...basically the panhandle of Florida. I vacationed there as a youth and still enjoy it. I hate to see the old hotels being torn down for condos though. But the panhandle beaches are prettier and more laid back than the rest of Florida's coastal areas.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 PM

246 posts, read 649,383 times
Lightbulb Florida has the treasures

I love several of the Florida beaches (hopefully, I'll get to experience more of them and be able to venture to other states as well.)

Sand Key, Dunedin's State park (forgot the name, but it's the state park there and then the island accessible only by boats from the park, Caladesi - beach in the raw!), Egmont Key, Pass-a-grille (in St pete), and the Destin area beaches to name a few.

Didn't like Daytona at all.

South Padre Island is the best TX has to offer and because it's in TX, it's still on my list of fond memories.

Only been to Florida and TX beaches, so far, but from what I hear, there's not much that can beat Florida beaches.

Anyone recommend a fantastic beach in another state that's econimically a great choice for families with kids?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:21 PM

54 posts, read 216,618 times
Surfside Beach, SC

Old 03-17-2007, 11:27 PM

246 posts, read 649,383 times
Arrow I beg to differ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdalton View Post
But the panhandle beaches are prettier and more laid back than the rest of Florida's coastal areas.
That's not entirely true - I'd like to know where you've been. Florida does have many over-commercialized spots, but there a still a few awesome beaches in the raw, so to speak. We lived in the St Pete area and found some very incredible beaches with the simple-life feel (within 30-45 minutes). I'm very turned off with the commercialized areas, so I'd have to say that I am a very fair judge of the laid back atmosphere. But, yes, we did enjoy the Destin area, too. I actually would have to say that I enjoyed my other favorites more, though. Perhaps it was because my daughter was older and didn't need diaper changes and naps (as was the case when we were in Destin)! Either way, give the other beaches a shot - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:51 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Any beach in Maine. Also Topsail Island, NC and the beach on Caladesi Island, FL.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:18 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
I moved to my favorite beach area.... Daytona Beach! It's beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.