Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Where I'm from, if you say some random place and than the state , people will be like what? Than you'll come back and just say the main city name and people will most likely ask "well why didn't you say that in the first place?" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Well I go to college in Philly, but it just makes life easier. I dont know why it's so hard to understand, but a major city is something everyone knows. I dont know how I can explain it any better than that. It makes perfect sense.
It makes sense if you don't take pride in where you're from but this is just my opinion. If claiming Philly works for you then more power to you.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
It's not even worth discussing anymore. The fact that saying Philadelphia as opposed to Wynnewood means I have no pride in my town is absolutely ludicrous.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
It's not even worth discussing anymore. The fact that saying Philadelphia as opposed to Wynnewood means I have no pride in my town is absolutely ludicrous.
Then what's your problem with saying Wynnewood? After all that is where you're from, right?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM

I'm from East Orange, North Jersey, which is all considered part of the NYC Metro area. I could simply tell people I'm from the Metro area and be done with it but that's not entirely accurate. So when people ask I say East Orange. I can care less whether they've heard of it or not, that's where I'm from and that's what I claim.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times
I usually say "Philadelphia area" to anyone not from the area. I say I was born in the "Chicago area".

Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There are going to be a lot of people who disagree.
It's pretty hard to confuse Manhasset for Manhattan. Hoboken is a far cry from Manhattan too, but it's a heck of a lot closer (both in distance and appearance) than anything in Nassau.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because it's a different state. Nassau County on Long Island is a lot more like Queens than NJ is like the Bronx or Brooklyn. NJ is its own state. People who came to visit me on LI thought it was NYC.
Nassau County maybe "like" Queens but it is definitely not Queens. Just because someone thought your section of LI reminded them of the city doesn't not make you a NYC resident, it makes you a NY State resident.

NJ being it's own state doesn't mean anything. There are still similarities there (which judging by many of your post you refuse to acknowledge), yet no one in Jersey is waving the NYC flag.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It's pretty hard to confuse Manhasset for Manhattan. Hoboken is a far cry from Manhattan too, but it's a heck of a lot closer (both in distance and appearance) than anything in Nassau.
She's in Long Island trying to tell NJ people that they cities have no similarities with the city. LONG ISLAND of all places LOL

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Then what's your problem with saying Wynnewood? After all that is where you're from, right?
I can tell that you're an incredibly intelligent individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.