Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
I think Philly has always had an inferiority complex to NYC. In terms of culture it's probably the only major city in the Northeast that can stand toe to toe with NYC.
You might be right - I have no idea but someone in Boston might disagree with you lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Dallas has an inferiority complex to Houston
ICK, no... I would say we strive to compare ourselves to LA or Chicago.
I see Dallas more on par with Houston, but I guess I could've just proved your point.
But I disagree.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:

Houston has an inferiority complex to NYC

Huh??? Thats a new one! I would say Houston has one to Chicago and vice versa, just like Houston and Dallas have one towards each other. Houstonians know they can never compare to NYC! Chicago cant either, but sure does its darnest to.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Chicago has an inferiority complex to LA and NYC

Milwaukee has a big time inferiority complex to Chicago

Houston has an inferiority complex to NYC

NYC has an inferiority complex to London or Hong Kong

Philly has a slight inferiority complex to NYC

SF has an inferiority complex to LA

LA has an inferiority complex to NYC.....

Every city seems to feel a little inferior to some other city it seems by reading these forums
I spend a lot of time in Milwaukee and in Chicago, and maybe there would be a few people who might feel an inferiority complex to Chicago, but really you can't compare a metro of 1,600,000 to one of almost 10,000,000. Milwaukee and Chicago are close enough that they share the good that each city has to offer. More and more Milwaukee residents commute to Chicago for work, and a number of Chicago residents come up to Milwaukee for their great festivals (Summerfest in particular). My brother lives in Pleasant Prairie (within 20 minutes of Milwaukee), and he is in the Chicago metro, not the Milwaukee metro. You don't even try to compete with a city the size of Chicago - that's just silly.

Also, why Houston and New York - that doesn't make any sense. What is the common factor there?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
I agree, Houston and Dallas are basically twins, just in different geographic settings. San Antonio probably has an inferiority complex to both of them, and both of them want to be on par with the biggies like NYC, Chicago, L.A....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Huh??? Thats a new one! I would say Houston has one to Chicago and vice versa, just like Houston and Dallas have one towards each other. Houstonians know they can never compare to NYC! Chicago cant either, but sure does its darnest to.
Quote:

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,977 times
I think San Antonio probably doesn't really have a inferiority complex to any just because San Antonio doesn't really care about the limelight. Most of us San Antonians are in love with San Antonio because it's just not like any of the other cities. The only possible competative nature San Antonians have had that I have seen would be with New Orleans because of the culture, and entertainment \ tourism \ convention factor. I also don't see the connection between Houston and NYC. I know the Houston Metro has always been at the neck of the DFW Metro, and vice versa, but I don't think the City of Houston has any beef with the City of Dallas because there isn't too much comparison there either. As for Chicago and Houston, I've seen alot of that just on this site. Houston's metro is so far behind the Chicago Metro, but the city of Houston will close in ong Chicago in the near future and steal some of their thunder. I think those factors keep those 2 at each other.....just my observation. As for NYC, and London....hmm....that one baffles me as well. NYC is far more of a player than the London metro, but I can see the point of NYC being more competative on an International level. Maybe NYC, and Hong Kong. I also think LA and the likes of Rio, or Sydney.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Where is the forum moderator?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,333 times
LA has an inferiority complex to NYC

Chicago has an inferiority complex to NYC

Houston & Dallas have an inferiority complex to LA

Philly has a slight inferiority complex to NYC

Detroit, Minneapolis & Saint Louis have an inferiority complex to Chicago

Boston has an inferiority complex to NYC

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Different parts of various, sprawling regions have own amusing inferiority-superiority cxs, even intra-region, let alone inter-regional or cross-coastal rivalries or just inferiority cxs...

Manhattan vs outer boroughs/NJ/LI vs Fairfield/Westchester

BevHills/Brentwood/Palisades vs Encino/Calabasas vs NewportCoast/Irvine

Chic GoldCoast/LP vs LF/Winnetka vs Hinsdale/Naperville

etc etc....socio-economic diffces are always amusing as one dissects the supposed "rivalries"....
I agree. The bolded are IMO the winners.

However, I think Chicago wins the poll. I voted NYC just because of Futcha.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post

Once again which city do you generally see on C-D or even in person that the residents seem to be all uptight and defensive when you talk about some of the negative of their city. (For example: "There sure is a lot of crime here", Response: "No there isn't, if you don't like it, get outta here!", etc.)
How is that an inferiority complex? If that is what you wanted to ask then the question should read "In which major city do you most notice residents to seem uptight and defensive?"

Defensive != "inferiority complex."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.