Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I know definitions aren't subjective. There are definitions and subjective opinions. It isn't that hard to understand what I mean. And yes, I really am a teacher...lol. I don't know why I would lie about that.

I don't know why you would either...but you JUST stated that the definition of rural is subjective, depending on where you're from. Did you not? And now, you agree that definitions are not subjective. WHICH IS IT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Incorrect...a town of 15,000 isn't rural - it's small. Rural areas are large and isolated places that are sparsely populated. It doesn't mean whatever you want it to mean.

Someone who grew up in Manhattan, where they were surrounded by millions of people everyday will probably think that a town of 15,000 where there's probably an acre of land for each house, will think that's "the country."

Kind of like the people I know from outside of NYS. When we go to Long Island, they still think it's the "city." But to us, it's suburbs. People will have different opinions about what's urban, suburb, and rural.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,332 times
Let's go back to suburbs. In the growing Charleston area, the east side is contained by the Atlantic Ocean, with Folly Beach being the farthest suburb, but that is only about an 11 or so mile drive from downtown.

To the south, they go about 19 miles, to the turnoff in Ravenel, SC (of US 17 and SC 165). To the north of Charleston, the suburbs probably go the farthest, as Summerville is about 25 miles from most of the immediate Charleston area, and Moncks Corner is about 32 miles from downtown.

To the northeast, you have Mt. Pleasant, but the Francis Marion National Forest contains everything.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Someone who grew up in Manhattan, where they were surrounded by millions of people everyday will probably think that a town of 15,000 where there's probably an acre of land for each house, will think that's "the country."

Kind of like the people I know from outside of NYS. When we go to Long Island, they still think it's the "city." But to us, it's suburbs. People will have different opinions about what's urban, suburb, and rural.
Again...you are incorrect. And now you're back to claiming that definitions are based on "people's opinions" - in other words, subjective. You already agreed that they aren't subjective...it can't be both.

The problem is that you come across as if people in NYC are different than people everywhere else - ESPECIALLY any location in the South. Reality is that people, the South included, are individuals...some are smart, some aren't; some are educated some aren't; some are wealthy and successful some aren't; some live in the city some don't. It doesn't matter where they live, not even if it's NEW YORK CITY.

Someone residing in a city like Richmond would have the same ideas of what is urban/suburban/rural as someone residing in Toronto because there is a defined image of each. People don't just decide what words mean on their own - well, people of at least average intelligence anyway.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
For Richmond about a 20 mi radius. Ashland to the North, New Kent County to the east, Goochland and Powhatan to the West, and Chesterfield on our South.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Again...you are incorrect. And now you're back to claiming that definitions are based on "people's opinions" - in other words, subjective. You already agreed that they aren't subjective...it can't be both.

The problem is that you come across as if people in NYC are different than people everywhere else - ESPECIALLY any location in the South. Reality is that people, the South included, are individuals...some are smart, some aren't; some are educated some aren't; some are wealthy and successful some aren't; some live in the city some don't. It doesn't matter where they live, not even if it's NEW YORK CITY.

Someone residing in a city like Richmond would have the same ideas of what is urban/suburban/rural as someone residing in Toronto because there is a defined image of each. People don't just decide what words mean on their own - well, people of at least average intelligence anyway.
What's the definition of definition?

Be careful not to cause a rip in the space-time comtinuum when attempting to answer that question.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Let's go back to suburbs. In the growing Charleston area, the east side is contained by the Atlantic Ocean, with Folly Beach being the farthest suburb, but that is only about an 11 or so mile drive from downtown.

To the south, they go about 19 miles, to the turnoff in Ravenel, SC (of US 17 and SC 165). To the north of Charleston, the suburbs probably go the farthest, as Summerville is about 25 miles from most of the immediate Charleston area, and Moncks Corner is about 32 miles from downtown.

To the northeast, you have Mt. Pleasant, but the Francis Marion National Forest contains everything.
The best I can tell...

The farthest area of suburban Berkeley County would be St. Stephen...49 miles from Charleston.

The town farthest south in Charleston County is Edisto...43 miles from Charleston.

The farthest burb to the northwest looks like St. George, in corner of Dorchester County...53 miles from Charleston.

You were right on with Folly Beach...11.5 miles.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
For Richmond about a 20 mi radius. Ashland to the North, New Kent County to the east, Goochland and Powhatan to the West, and Chesterfield on our South.
Greater Richmond:

Richmond-Petersburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nuh-uh. It's a bit further than 20 miles...

South: Jarratt, VA in Sussex County...58 miles.
North: Port Royal, VA in Caroline County...52 miles.
East: Farmville, VA in Cumberland County...64 miles.
West: New Kent, VA in New Kent County...31 miles.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering how far the suburbs in your city/metro area go from the downtown area of the central city?
I'd say about 10 miles from the city center, give or take.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I remember I ran into some people who even said Cortland (where I went to school) was a suburb of Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.