Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite "Boring" State
Ohio 9 8.11%
Indiana 5 4.50%
Illinois 25 22.52%
Michigan 8 7.21%
Wisconsin 15 13.51%
Iowa 17 15.32%
Nebraska 9 8.11%
Kansas 4 3.60%
North Dakota 9 8.11%
South Dakota 10 9.01%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
GraniteStater, Northern Wisconsin has the highest concentration of inland lakes in the world. More than Minnesota, lol. I think their is over 1,000 registered lakes in Vilas county alone. Shoot I live in the southern portion of the state where lakes aren't so prevalent and I'm within ten miles of seven lakes. The transition into Boreal forest in Wisconsin is cool as well.
The 45N latitude line is generally the dividing line between farmland and woodland in Wisconsin. Jim Johnson of WLS radio in Chicago generally says the transition line is north of Wausau.
I also fine the pine line in MN to be quite fascinating. This is generally along and north of 47N latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Illinois.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yes it's an opinion but based on what I've seen of Illinois sans Chicago, it's at the very bottom of my list with Oklahoma and Texas.
Well what have you seen of Illinois? And we're called Illinoisans, I don't know if you meant to type what you did.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
I voted for North Dakota. I love driving in that state and mostly like the flat open praries and big sky. It will be my future home. There's nothing boring about North Dakota. I'll take it anyday to heavily populated states like New York, California or Florida. Driving in large parts of North Dakota seems like stepping back in time 50 years or more. Some of the scenery and views probably haven't changed since the days of the pioneers - I love it.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:07 AM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times
Illinois....I don't believe I'd ever move back, but it's where I was born and raised.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
I don't find any of these states "boring". Having been to every state, I can honestly say that there are many fun things and nice people to be found in every state. Of course, maybe it is just me

Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I voted for North Dakota. I love driving in that state and mostly like the flat open praries and big sky. It will be my future home. There's nothing boring about North Dakota. I'll take it anyday to heavily populated states like New York, California or Florida. Driving in large parts of North Dakota seems like stepping back in time 50 years or more. Some of the scenery and views probably haven't changed since the days of the pioneers - I love it.
I've been to Peoria, Springfield, Nashville, and East St. Louis. I honestly think SD, Wis., Michigan (scenic wise) are so much nicer than Illinios.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Michigan and Wisconsin are boring??

I thought Louisiana, Wyoming, Mississippi and Arizona were pretty boring when I traveled around....

Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Well what have you seen of Illinois? And we're called Illinoisans, I don't know if you meant to type what you did.

"Sans" is the French word for "without". I meant Illinois sans Chicago is not attractive.

I've seen the stretch of Illinois from the Quad Cities to Chicago about a million times. By the time I leave Chicago I look forward to driving across Iowa and ending back up in Nebraska. I've stopped at many of the little towns in between Iowa and Chicago and they're all just spooky little towns.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
"Sans" is the French word for "without". I meant Illinois sans Chicago is not attractive.

I've seen the stretch of Illinois from the Quad Cities to Chicago about a million times. By the time I leave Chicago I look forward to driving across Iowa and ending back up in Nebraska. I've stopped at many of the little towns in between Iowa and Chicago and they're all just spooky little towns.

DTO: I know what you mean about the stretch between Quad Cities & Chicago. Yes, it's plenty boring if you take I-80 or I-88. The cure I found for that is to take US 30 and IL 2. It's actually a little shorter in distance, and much more interesting than the interstates. The time it takes is not much longer. Pick up IL 2 off of I-80 eastbound as soon as you cross the Mississippi, follow it to US 30 (around Rock Falls, IL). 30 will take you to the outskirts of Aurora where you can pick up the Tollway into the city. Another alternative I've tried is to follow the arrow-straight "blue roads" that parallel all 3 routes thropugh the cornfields--virtually no towns that way at all. We drove 90 mph, and there was no one around to even notice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.