Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think Houston could turn out like it's California cousins instead of turning into a Northern city. Much more of a connection between the Cali cities and Houston just like there is one between Atlanta and the Northeast.
agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Trimac you obviously are unaware of Miami. There is a reason why we are called the 6th Borough. We are not "Southerners" in anyway shape or form.

Your saying we as if you speak for everyone in Miami, there are just as many southerners in Miami as northerners. Matter of fact IMO the black community in Miami is the MOST southern of any of the major south cities. Miami has just as many people living in trailer parks as there are people living the good life.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
I think the new Mason-Dixon line starts at Fredericksburg, VA. But there are pockets of "Southern" in NOVA in places such as Loudoun/Fauquier county and the "Hunt Country" area.

The immediate DC area is very Yankee in some spots. Then just really non-descript in others.

Hampton Roads is military and , like NOVA, has no distinct Southern cultural feeling anymore.

DC has already gone pretty much Northern. I think in years time, Charlotte will probably be next.

Richmonders are too stubborn to give up our Southern heritage.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Trimac you obviously are unaware of Miami. There is a reason why we are called the 6th Borough. We are not "Southerners" in anyway shape or form.
Precisely what I was suggesting. The 'second' M-D line could form a line from Pensacola to Ocala to Daytona Beach. It would also take in Houston, Galveston, New Orleans and possibly Mobile/Biloxi.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 PM

28 posts, read 125,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Precisely what I was suggesting. The 'second' M-D line could form a line from Pensacola to Ocala to Daytona Beach. It would also take in Houston, Galveston, New Orleans and possibly Mobile/Biloxi.
If you've never been to the US, then how would you know what any of these places are like. You're just going by hearsay and have no first hand account.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Your saying we as if you speak for everyone in Miami, there are just as many southerners in Miami as northerners. Matter of fact IMO the black community in Miami is the MOST southern of any of the major south cities. Miami has just as many people living in trailer parks as there are people living the good life.
No, Miami's black community is very diverse compared to other southern cities.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No, Miami's black community is very diverse compared to other southern cities.
Im sorry but Miami is simply NOT a Southern city. Its too far South, lol. Its just not Southern. It never really was. It was always influenced heavily by Cubans and other people.

Not the Deep South. Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and even Orlando are all more Southern than Miami.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sorry another Southern thread, what can I say, it's interesting to talk about! No agenda here, I've not even been to the South or the US, so I can talk lol (or not talk).

IF the South does become rapidly northern, which city do you think will be the first to be so Northern to be no longer called Southern? I actually think Houston then Charlotte. Richmond and Atlanta still have too much southern resilience and pride to become fully Northern. Even New Orleans has that heritage.
Not trying to be a SA, but how do you know that?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
All of them?
Except you, Missy.

The other ones are Southern only by geographical location.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Except you, Missy.

The other ones are Southern only by geographical location.
LOL I was born there but not raised (I was born in Inverness and lived in Ocala and Gainsville til I was 5 or so)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.