Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:17 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times

Advertisements

A word on the more deluxe grocery chains like Wegmans or Trader Joes or Whole Foods... Wegmans isn't particularly low-priced. But they also don't pull the usual bait-and-switch tricks that other chains pull in order for them to seem like they have low prices. Most grocery chains will deeply discount an item, get customers hooked on it, and then slowly jack up the price while cutting other items. It's simply a sleight of hand pricing trick. The total amount you pay at the store tends to be the same, despite all this trickery.

I would rather pay "honest higher prices" than have to deal with this now-you-save, now-you-don't crap at the run of the mill chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,641 times
Sorry, I never heard of that Company! It is just a local market? I have heard of Krogers, as its National, and a few others, but, mostly small Companies are just local, like in the South or in the North, or even Regional. I guess I will have to wait for them to get really 'huge' and have stores all over the Country, including my City, before I can comment on them.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
Wegmans just got ranked #1 grocery chain by Consumer Reports. Beating Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Wegmans rocks.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:57 PM

33 posts, read 136,623 times
uh whats "wegmans" ...sounds weird

Old 04-04-2009, 04:08 PM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_baby View Post
uh whats "wegmans" ...sounds weird
Check it out here:Wegmans

Old 04-04-2009, 04:25 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,330 times
Texas has a chain of grocery stores called H-E-B that is very good. Their older stores are very nice basic grocery stores (a step above Kroger in selection), but their newer stores are amazing. I used to live in a town of about 15,000 people that had an H-E-B - the store had a sushi chef, a tortilleria, etc. etc. etc. These sorts of features seem to be standard at newer H-E-Bs.

They also have some newer concept stores:

H-E-B Plus! is a large grocery store with other departments (think Wal-Mart Supercenter but with more of a focus on groceries).

Central Market (the only presence H-E-B has in the DFW metroplex) is like Whole Foods, but a whole lot better. An interesting note: they designed the stores in a logical manner, and you go through this maze that they have created, with cold items such as milk coming last (so they spend less time outside the refrigeration).

EDIT: Another perk of H-E-B: no annoying club cards to keep up with. When they offer a discount, they offer it for everyone.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
I've been to tons of grocery stores in each section of the country, but nothing has compared to this store. Unfortunately there's only 2 of them on Long Island. There's no cleaner, fancier grocery store anywhere else with this high of a selection of the freshest food, not to mention amazing italian groceries (hence the name )

Long Island Supermarket and Deli- Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace

Old 04-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Texas has a chain of grocery stores called H-E-B that is very good. Their older stores are very nice basic grocery stores (a step above Kroger in selection), but their newer stores are amazing. I used to live in a town of about 15,000 people that had an H-E-B - the store had a sushi chef, a tortilleria, etc. etc. etc. These sorts of features seem to be standard at newer H-E-Bs.

They also have some newer concept stores:

H-E-B Plus! is a large grocery store with other departments (think Wal-Mart Supercenter but with more of a focus on groceries).

Central Market (the only presence H-E-B has in the DFW metroplex) is like Whole Foods, but a whole lot better. An interesting note: they designed the stores in a logical manner, and you go through this maze that they have created, with cold items such as milk coming last (so they spend less time outside the refrigeration).

EDIT: Another perk of H-E-B: no annoying club cards to keep up with. When they offer a discount, they offer it for everyone.
Very similar to Wegmans in terms of the difference between the older and newer stores. They do have the Shoppers Club Card, which is free.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've been to tons of grocery stores in each section of the country, but nothing has compared to this store. Unfortunately there's only 2 of them on Long Island. There's no cleaner, fancier grocery store anywhere else with this high of a selection of the freshest food, not to mention amazing italian groceries (hence the name )

Long Island Supermarket and Deli- Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace
That would be a good supermarket to have in Syracuse's Little Italy section on the North side of town.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That would be a good supermarket to have in Syracuse's Little Italy section on the North side of town.

It's too bad there aren't more of them. They would do well in italian neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.