Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: as americans do you think you are superior than people from europe/UK?
Yes 14 17.95%
No 64 82.05%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
This is completely non sequitur. I was just pointing out the irony that gaflsc called you a bad teacher, and you said that you do not represent all of America's education system (admitting you were a bad teacher/ignorant).

lol I wasn't admitting i'm a bad teacher. I don't think there are too many bad teachers in NY, considering all the tests we need to pass with a certain score for our certification. I was making a point to that person, saying I don't represent the entire US education. What a very naive statement to make. Anyway, I teach what the curriculum tells me to do--it's not like I choose what to teach and it makes my students unintelligent

Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Some thoughts on this troll thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heskey View Post
Great Britain and Russia fought in WWII to you know. the US wouldn't have done without their help. Typical yank attidude thinkin they completley alone saved europe in WWII.

makes me wonder why the Americans landed in europe att all considering they are all just a bunch of anglo-phobic euro-haters. Nowadays it seems that Americans hate europe just as much as the nazis hated the jews.
Now this is over the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
People in Europe are generally much smarter than those in the US. I read a book written by a teacher. He said he went somewhere in Europe, I forgot where, but the kids asked him if he was from Raleigh or Charlotte in NC. He said the kids in this regular public school knew most of the smaller cities in the US...but yet, many people in the US don't know them. It's a given that Europeans come from better educational systems.
Much smarter, or more educated? There is a difference! Not that I believe the latter, either. The European educational systems for years have tracked students so that only a select few, chosen at a fairly young age, can go to college. Here, anyone can go to a community college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, they are obviously smarter than SOME in the U.S.
All Europeans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Barely touched upon, and this is coming from someone who grew up in an area that has some of the top schools in the country.
Oh, gimme a break! Almost every state in the country thinks they have the best schools! Actually, the state with the highest graduation rate is Nebraska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Lol. *****

I don't think Americans think they're superior to Europeans. There's a number of people in America who hold Europeans in very high regard, as if they are superior, and attempt to emulate everything they do, though. Don't know what that says about either group.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
No offense Rachael, but you keep mentioning that these are top schools over there in NY, but they don't seem to be matching up very well against CA or OH in this argument. I don't think that just b/c NY schools aren't covering the subject thoroughly that that means the rest of the US isn't. I know that's not true from my experience.
Add Pennsylvania and Colorado to that list. I, back in the dark ages in a little mill town, had world history in junior high. That was in PA. My kids in Colorado had it then, too. It is a requirement take a geography course to graduate from high school in my present district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
That is interesting. I guess that is why Europeans are considered more cultured. Not only in terms of history, geography, but also in terms of language. Many speak more than just their native language.
Let me tell you something about that. It is widely stated that "many" or "most" Europeans speak English, that they are taught English from the cradle, along with their native language. HOwever, when I was IN Europe two years ago, the only place where that seemed to be true out of Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany was Belgium. It's a good thing I know a little German, and that it's similar to Dutch.

Quote:
Yes while it was good for the russians to get you help in material. You still werent the ones actually fighting. You can't honestly say that the US defeated the germans in the eastern front now can you?
The Americans liberated a number of concentration camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I agree with you. Sometimes I envy the Europeans() They preserve their downtowns, are much more "greener" and from the Europeans I have met they are much friendlier.
"Greener"? Most in the countries where I was lived in mid-rise buildings built right up to the sidewalk, with very little landscaping such as trees noticed anywhere.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Greener"? Most in the countries where I was lived in mid-rise buildings built right up to the sidewalk, with very little landscaping such as trees noticed anywhere.
I think he means greener as in more environmentally friendly. Due to the fact that there is little land to work with to fit their populations in, they have stricter zoning and make much smarter use of the land they do have for development. Very few suburban environments like one would find in most of the US, most people live in the cities and the remainder live in rural areas and towns.

So, being denser and having fewer suburbs, they use much more public transit. And also it seems that environmentalism there isn't as stigmatized as it is in the US, for whatever reason.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
I made this thread because I beleived that the majority of americans felt they where superior than us europeans and I wanted to know why.

a question who did the greater part of the fighting before 1944 in europe and specificly the easter front? who sacrificed more? who had the greater part in defeating the germans at that front?
Look, I know that we Americans can be a bit ethnocentric, but we're not oblivious to the fact that many others in the world view us with contempt. The extent to which some Americans may feel superior to Europeans is balanced out by the Europeans who view themselves as superior to Americans culturally and intellectually. When you approach us with the question you did, you have to expect Americans to act one of three ways -- defensive, sarcastic or derisive.

As for your critique of the U.S. role in the European Theater, no, we didn't do it alone. Still, the significance of our involvement cannot be disputed. Let's not forget that the U.S. had to simultaneously fight a war in Asia against an enemy who directly attacked us. The Brits and Aussies helped us (thanks to them). I don't believe Sweden was there.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Sweden was neutral.

Sweden during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Sweden owed this maintenance of neutrality to its location in the Scandinavian Peninsula, its long-held neutral stance in international relations, a dedicated military build-up and the unpredictable course of events which went in its favour. Other important factors were the concessions the Swedish government made to the Nazis, for example allowing the Wehrmacht to use Swedish railways to transport an infantry division, along with war material freight, i.e., howitzers, tanks and anti-aircraft weapons and associated ammunition, from Norway to Finland; to transport soldiers on leave between Norway and Germany, and to produce weapons for both the Axis and the Allied powers."

Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM

403 posts, read 1,324,907 times
Quote:
Great Britain and Russia fought in WWII to you know. the US wouldn't have done without their help. Typical yank attidude thinkin they completley alone saved europe in WWII.

makes me wonder why the Americans landed in europe att all considering they are all just a bunch of anglo-phobic euro-haters. Nowadays it seems that Americans hate europe just as much as the nazis hated the jews.
Way to generalize from one comment.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
I voted no as well, and that was an honest vote. Now seeing that this IS NOT AN HONEST THREAD, but some silly euro with an inferiority complex coming to TROLL, I too would like to change my vote.

In fact, I vote a moderator remove this thread entirely as it is irrelevant to these forums.

Anybody got a can of troll-b-gone?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
As someone who has visited almost two dozen European countries and spent months there....I would absolutely say no. The more I go to Europe the more I am jealous. I think Americans are quite mislead with the constant repeating that we're the best country on earth. I love America and we have a lot to offer, but certainly no more than many other countries.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:

Ahh, so the REAL motivation behind the thread didn't take long at all to come out did it now?

Trollish all the way. If there ever needs to be an example for those who do not know what an Internet Troll is or the way the behave, this thread should be right at the top of the examples list.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Why do I have a feeling the next thread or so that will be started by this clown will be another metric-vs-US measurement systems? This guy has Mattias/NorthNJ/suryoyo written all over his posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.