Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Update... Red= Drove through/visit Blue= Live(d)
How do you like St. Paul overall compared to New Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Wow, you've already seen a lot of Minnesota! I still haven't been north of St. Cloud. I really need to get up there to northern MN one day.

You should really try to get over to the west side of the state -- the prairies are absolutely beautiful.
It looks as so, doesn't it? Those .counties are just rather large in the NE region of the state. I basically just checked out Duluth, and another time was when I was invited to a camping trip in Crosby state park (it has a longer name, it just escapes me). It's gorgeous up there
I definitely want to check out the rest of the state, I've been to Eden Prairie if that counts

Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
How do you like St. Paul overall compared to New Jersey?
I prefer the COL and I find that the people in general are a lot less self centered- The cities are much cleaner and safer too, my commute to and from work is a hell of a lot less stressful than what I was going through in Jersey... Being away from family is basically the only major issue. I do miss the well established communities, town centers, and public transportation options in NJ though. MN is a bit generic compared to NJ in that regard... Oh and the food options, I REALLY MISS NJ when it comes to food.

However, I haven't put up with a MN winter yet. I'm looking forward to it though.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Very, very cool topic. Thanks for finding this.

I've been to 45 states...but some of them barely count.

Of the 3,141 counties, I've been to 691 (22%).
Red Counties are where I've traveled (interstate corridors are pretty evident). The two blue counties (Davidson and Knox in Tennessee) are the only two that I've lived in. I've been to 79 of 95 counties in my home state (83.2%)

Oh well, I'm 26 years old...only 2,450 counties left to visit!

Judging by the map, I really need to see more of the Great Lakes region, Texas, the middle and northern Appalachian region, and of course, Alaska.

**Oops, I forgot a few counties I walked through along the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina...

Last edited by nashvols; 08-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: added counties

Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I prefer the COL and I find that the people in general are a lot less self centered- The cities are much cleaner and safer too, my commute to and from work is a hell of a lot less stressful than what I was going through in Jersey... Being away from family is basically the only major issue. I do miss the well established communities, town centers, and public transportation options in NJ though. MN is a bit generic compared to NJ in that regard... Oh and the food options, I REALLY MISS NJ when it comes to food.

However, I haven't put up with a MN winter yet. I'm looking forward to it though.
Winter isn't that bad if you just ignore the wind

Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Major update to reflect recent travel:
Click image for larger version

Name:	michael0421.gif
Views:	2350
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	92656

Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
The link in the OP is now apparently dead, it does not raise any interactive county maps.

But this site is still active, where you can color in all your counties. It requires an email to the administrator to set up an account and password, and now has over 1,000 travelers logging in their counties:

Why do you think they call them counties?

By the way, Google Maps does NOT show county lines. You need to go to MapQuest in order to verify whether a road goes through a county or not.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
thanks for the link Jtur, couldn't get this to load, but I am at work where a lot of stuff is blocked. I need to update mine, will try from home.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 PM

302 posts, read 769,580 times
I thought I'd cheer up all you guys who keep saying you haven't visited many places by posting my own map. As you can see, I've barely left my home State. I try to take advantage of any travel opportunity that comes up, believe it or not. There just hasn't been very many! (Or I've been too broke to take advantage of them.)

Red are places I've lived. Green are places that I've been to. I'm not counting places that I didn't even get out of the car/bus/train to walk around in.

I'm pretty jealous of most of you. I'm hoping I'll have a similar map five to ten years from now. Any advice for traveling on the cheap would be appreciated!

Last edited by ManoftheNorth; 03-20-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
I thought I'd cheer up all you guys who keep saying you haven't visited many places by posting my own map. As you can see, I've barely left my home State. I try to take advantage of any travel opportunity that comes up, believe it or not. There just hasn't been very many! (Or I've been too broke to take advantage of them.)

Red are places I've lived. Green are places that I've been to. I'm not counting places that I didn't even get out of the car/bus/train to walk around in.

I'm pretty jealous of most of you. I'm hoping I'll have a similar map five to ten years from now. Any advice for traveling on the cheap would be appreciated!
I am jealous of you! Michigan is one state that begs further exploration from me. I can't wait especially to explore the UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.