Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Trimac20,

You should really compose a list of CITIES you're interested in and go from there. You really can't assume a whole state is this way or that regarding immigrants. The U.S. is extremely large and attitudes can vary from city to city within the same State.

Example: Be from the Middle East and walk through Atlanta and few people will pay much attention. Go 30 miles West of the City and half the town will watch every move you make - yet they're both in the same State. Likewise, I'm sure there are numerous cities in New England who are welcoming to immigrants, but a few miles in any direction outside of those cities in the same States, maybe the attitudes may be different.
Some cities I've considered:

Boston
Portsmouth, NH
Syracuse, NY
New York City
Asheville, NC
Charleston, SC
Chicago
Seattle
Portland
San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm planning on moving to the US in 2-3 years: my first pick is New England, I've heard they're comparatively unfriendly, but I'm not the type to judge on hearsay, so I'll expect common courtesy etc anywhere I go. Still, I'm curious if some states are friendlier to immigrants from other countries. Do you think they'd give preferential treatment to Australians rather than say, a Pakistani (to give an example)? Of course I don't expect that, I want to be treated like anyone else, and hopefully that is in a friendly, respectful way. Are residents of some states more wary of outsiders and immigrants who are non-Americans?
Who doesn't love Australians in the US? I don't think I have ever heard an unkind word about Australia or Australians ever probably because they don't cluster in one neighborhood, they have the same language (which may be why they don't cluster in one neighborhood), are non-threatening as a country and aren't coming for the freebies. I honestly don't know anything about Pakistani immigrants to the US as a group of people.

My town has an assortment of international types who are scientists and engineers and their families. I suppose because they are educated, they find it easier to assimilate among others like themselves, professionally speaking. My town (about 27,500) has a lot of scientists and engineers and retired scientists and engineers. They all speak English and they all earn a decent salary so there is no class conflict, either. There are no Chinese neighborhoods or Australian neighborhoods or Indian neighboorhoods or Eastern Europe neighborhoods, for example. The ones I have met are all interesting people. I hear an assortment of accents here.

Unfortunately, none of them open restaurants when they retire.

Is it easy for you to move here? I know someone from Italy who has been waiting years to come here.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who doesn't love Australians in the US? I don't think I have ever heard an unkind word about Australia or Australians ever probably because they don't cluster in one neighborhood, they have the same language (which may be why they don't cluster in one neighborhood), are non-threatening as a country and aren't coming for the freebies. I honestly don't know anything about Pakistani immigrants to the US as a group of people.

My town has an assortment of international types who are scientists and engineers and their families. I suppose because they are educated, they find it easier to assimilate among others like themselves, professionally speaking. My town (about 27,500) has a lot of scientists and engineers and retired scientists and engineers. They all speak English and they all earn a decent salary so there is no class conflict, either. There are no Chinese neighborhoods or Australian neighborhoods or Indian neighboorhoods or Eastern Europe neighborhoods, for example. The ones I have met are all interesting people. I hear an assortment of accents here.

Unfortunately, none of them open restaurants when they retire.

Is it easy for you to move here? I know someone from Italy who has been waiting years to come here.
I hear it's getting harder. I haven't looked into it closely, but I hope my skill of town planning will be enough. I don't think a 6 month or 1 year work visa is a problem, but no idea about 3-5 years. My ideal length of stay is at least 3 years, but I'll take a year. Are you single? Maybe you can marry me so I can get a free pass in.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,645 times
you'd be welcome in boston for sure.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:39 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,943 times
Texans love Aussies. Some kind of kindred rebel spirit. Although they do grow tired of boomerangs breaking through windows.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Anywhere in New England.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Texans love Aussies. Some kind of kindred rebel spirit. Although they do grow tired of boomerangs breaking through windows.
Is it true Aussies hate cops? I saw that in a documentary the other day.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Is it true Aussies hate cops? I saw that in a documentary the other day.
umm who doesn't?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
umm who doesn't?
Brits for instance Thinking about it, it's odd when people hate those who enforce law and order, without which society would collapse.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 PM

105 posts, read 236,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Brits for instance
What??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.