Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,376 times

Advertisements

First off, "Hi!" to you who's reading this - I'm new here, as this is my first thread. I have sort of an unusual request...

Ideally I'm looking to move to a place that has:

- A low pollen count, and few mosquitoes? (I am very allergic to both pollen and mosquitoes. Whenever the weather starts getting warm my allergies go haywire. My mosquito bites grow to 10x normal size and itch like crazy to the point where they are unbearable.)

- Ideally, no bugs, or as few as possible. I really don't like bees, cockroaches, flies (horseflies and deerflies!) and ticks, but harmless bugs like dragonflies, ants, ladybugs, and some spiders I can deal with.

- Weather that is cool or cold, year-round? Over 80 degrees is extremely uncomfortable for me. I can't tolerate above 95 degrees. I get fatigued easily from the heat and sweat excessively .

* Does somewhere like Maine fit the bill, or are there too many bugs in Maine? (I've heard it has a bad bug problem).

* Also, I might be staying in Georgia for the summer. Could anyone who lives in Georgia give me an idea of what I'm in for with the pollen and the number of bugs?

Anything else I could live without, but it would be nice to live somewhere near a body of water. Also, this might be a stretch, but somewhere with a good job market would be perfect.

Does anywhere in the U.S. fit this criteria?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imawanderer View Post
First off, "Hi!" to you who's reading this - I'm new here, as this is my first thread. I have sort of an unusual request...

Ideally I'm looking to move to a place that has:

- A low pollen count, and few mosquitoes? (I am very allergic to both pollen and mosquitoes. Whenever the weather starts getting warm my allergies go haywire. My mosquito bites grow to 10x normal size and itch like crazy to the point where they are unbearable.)

- Ideally, no bugs, or as few as possible. I really don't like bees, cockroaches, flies (horseflies and deerflies!) and ticks, but harmless bugs like dragonflies, ants, ladybugs, and some spiders I can deal with.

- Weather that is cool or cold, year-round? Over 80 degrees is extremely uncomfortable for me. I can't tolerate above 95 degrees. I get fatigued easily from the heat and sweat excessively .

* Does somewhere like Maine fit the bill, or are there too many bugs in Maine? (I've heard it has a bad bug problem).

* Also, I might be staying in Georgia for the summer. Could anyone who lives in Georgia give me an idea of what I'm in for with the pollen and the number of bugs?

Anything else I could live without, but it would be nice to live somewhere near a body of water. Also, this might be a stretch, but somewhere with a good job market would be perfect.

Does anywhere in the U.S. fit this criteria?

Thank you so much!
if your in the lower 48 id suggest you move to Seattle, very few bugs, and rarely gets hot in the summer.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Sounds like you want some place in the high plains -- Wyoming, Montana, maybe Idaho. Highs reach the low 80s but it's dry so sweating isn't much of an issue.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Vermont or New Hampshire, with New Hampshire being the preferable choice b/w the two.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 PM

202 posts, read 1,008,007 times
New York City/New Jersey!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
^I don't think he'll make it through a week. Truth be told, I don't want people moving here. In fact, I wouldn't mind if half the people in the state left. Maybe, just maybe then I'll be able to be able to afford to buy a damn house after I graduate from uni.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,430 times
Low pollen, no bugs, cold year round? Alaska.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
Low pollen, no bugs, cold year round? Alaska.
Yeah, as long as you don't mind swarms of no-see-ums so thick they block out the sun and mosquitos so fierce they carry you off into the woods to chew on you.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,359 times
I heard that the middle of the states was the worst for pollen.. OH Valley, St. Louis is all bad for pollen issues. I also heard Grand Rapids, MI was the best place to live with allergies since the winds from Lake Michigan keeps clean air coming into the city.. But I live an hr from there and my allergies are horrible may thru june... So...????
As far as low mosquitos.. you'll have to go to a low humidity area... They breed and are born in water so you have to get to a dry area... I've been to CO before.. there wasnt any there but they do have other bugs though... Maybe northern ID... I've been checking out that area myself too

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
Seems like you need to be away from water and 4 seasons... that's a hard one.
Someone said NJ which is out of the question.. The tree pollen now is crazy as we speak; mosquitoes aren't a problem in a lot of NJ though.
NY, probably South NY State if anything is the best place, (Binghamton Area) Good luck

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 04-28-2009 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.