Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times

Advertisements

..might be in fact, Anglo-Saxon, protestant, and white, he probably doesn't match the classic description of "WASP". It usually has something to do with money, the type of Protestant church he belongs to, and what part of the country he lives in. Many of our Presidents were WASPy, although not all.

By the way, would you consider FDR to be WASPy? I don't know his exact lineage, but "Roosevelt" is a Dutch name, so perhaps he wouldn't. But he might have some English blood on his mother's side, and he attended Harvard, and the Dutch in NYS go WAY back, so he might qualify there. Just a thought..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 AM

142 posts, read 501,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..might be in fact, Anglo-Saxon, protestant, and white, he probably doesn't match the classic description of "WASP". It usually has something to do with money, the type of Protestant church he belongs to, and what part of the country he lives in. Many of our Presidents were WASPy, although not all.

By the way, would you consider FDR to be WASPy? I don't know his exact lineage, but "Roosevelt" is a Dutch name, so perhaps he wouldn't. But he might have some English blood on his mother's side, and he attended Harvard, and the Dutch in NYS go WAY back, so he might qualify there. Just a thought..
I think of FDR as a WASP. Religiously, he was Episcopalian but of course that alone does not a WASP make. Even if he weren't a 'Pisky, the Dutch Reformed Church (now the Reformed Church in America) is a mainline church in that it is old, established, ordains women, is mostly liturgical (rather than freeform), has money and although it is more conservative than many of the other liberal/mainline churches, it is still more theologically liberal than most non-denominational and evangelical churches. FDR once said to a Catholic advisor that America is a Protestant country and that Catholics and Jews are here on sufferance.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
I always thought WASP meant whites of Anglo Saxon/British ancestry: English, Welsch, and Scottish. Maybe I just getting it confuse with just being Anglo Saxon

Old 05-21-2009, 01:28 PM

142 posts, read 501,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I always thought WASP meant whites of Anglo Saxon/British ancestry: English, Welsch, and Scottish. Maybe I just getting it confuse with just being Anglo Saxon
Yeah I guess the Dutch heritage of FDR kind of mixes things up a little bit. But I think that the WASP acronym is more of a handy short hand than a way to specify true Anglo Saxon ethnicity. Some other posters have said that JFK had a pretty WASPy background and the only letter that he had under his belt was the W!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:55 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
The Welsh and Scots are not Anglo-Saxon. Only the English are Anglo-Saxon.

I think the term 'WASP' was not really intended to be ethnically specific, though. It was a clever acronym for the old, moneyed "Establishment" class of the USA, who were, by and large, of English descent. In some areas, the Establishment included Dutch, Scottish, and maybe even some Welsh people.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
[...]the Establishment included Dutch, Scottish, and maybe even some Welsh people.
And those Welsh must have been doing rather well for the WASPs to feel the need to "Keep up with the Joneses".

ABQConvict

Old 05-22-2009, 03:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Same with my Dad's family

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
My family is Irish Catholic but half English blood. They are pretty rich. I wouldn't call them WASPS exactly, being they're fairly liberal and not too religious.
Grandpa was a Protestant Englishman and Grandma was a Catholic Irish. Perhaps this is why these people aren't very religous? I have seen the same with mixed Jewish/Christian marriages.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Where I grew up, Catholic families were WAY more religious and conservative than WASPy protestant families who almost entirely belonged to mainstream denominations. I take it this is not the case in much of the rest of America (everything outside of the Northeast) based on comments here.

That said, I agree that families with a mix of religions tend to not make a big deal about it. Then again, it may be self-fulfilling. Many protestant families in my area were OK with mixed marriages whereas I almost got killed by a girl's father for coming around his daughter. She was forbidden to date non-Catholics and this was made explicit to me.

ABQConvict

Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 PM

467 posts, read 874,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
They are those who are:
1. White.
2. Of Anglo-Saxon heritage.
3. Belong to any of various Protestant denominations.

Glad I could be of help...

The best post in this thread. To put it in historical perspective the term was coinced to differentiate loyal British subjects from the Catholic Irish, Germans, Italians and Dutch who were considered a second category. Yes, the term is associated with one of the oldest cases of discrimination in America, well before other nationalities and races became targets. It's very precise and unambiguous as John so elequently explained in his post.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:56 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
They are those who are:
1. White.
2. Of Anglo-Saxon heritage.
3. Belong to any of various Protestant denominations.

Glad I could be of help...
That's it!

Catholic=not WASP. Jewish=Middle Eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.