Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,800 times

Advertisements

Do these lists ever change?

America's top 5 most dangerous cities - MSN Real Estate

1. Detroit
2. Memphis, Tenn.
3. Miami
4. Las Vegas
5. Stockton, Calif.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM

61 posts, read 179,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
Have you guys seen the show on A&E "The First 48", most of the homicides shown in the show occur in Miami (murder capital) and Memphis, Tenn.

I would say that if you stay away from Drugs and don't get sucked into the "lifestyle" in Miami you should be OK, but everything in Miami (culture, people, attitudes) almost proverbially "wants to drag you" to South Beach and immerse you.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,942 times
Default oh noes, not again!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcstyle View Post
Have you guys seen the show on A&E "The First 48", most of the homicides shown in the show occur in Miami (murder capital) and Memphis, Tenn.

I would say that if you stay away from Drugs and don't get sucked into the "lifestyle" in Miami you should be OK, but everything in Miami (culture, people, attitudes) almost proverbially "wants to drag you" to South Beach and immerse you.

really?

well I have a few questions and perhaps you will help me overcome my confusion since you come off as such an expert on the topic.

I was born in the late 1950's. I have lived in miami every day of my life except for my years of military service and the annual vacation time.

I have am alive still so by definition I must have a lifestyle. what lifestyle should I be avoiding?

what should I do to not get dragged to teh ebel and dedly souff beach?

honestly. clueless posts such as these annoy me a bit. they are entertaining to a degree but your opinion is so far off of the mark that it does warrant a response from those of us who know this community initimately and completely, those of us who's daily work takes us into all areas of this town. take it from one who works in security and access controls, dade and broward counties are tame by any comparisson. if you are involved in illegal activity your chances of meeting an untimely and possibly violent end are increased but if you are an average law abiding citizen irrespective of where you live or where you travel to work you will statistically never be involved in a violent crime.

what makes anyone think miami/ft lauderdale are greatly different from any other cities of the same size?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcstyle View Post
...everything in Miami (culture, people, attitudes) almost proverbially "wants to drag you" to South Beach and immerse you.
I go to South Beach at best two times a year, as do probably most other normal people who work and live in this area.

Do you actually live here? There is more to Miami/South Florida than South Beach.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
I don't live in Miami or currently live in Ft Lauderdale and since 1984 I have gone to Ft Lauderdale at least twice per year and traveled to Miami each time. Lifestyles are a bit different than what Northerners were use to and my wife and I found it very exciting. Never a problem with anyone from either city and we also found that they people were very friendly.....

Also, Las Vegas may be a location where crime is high but my Vietnam buddy worked as a Police Officer there since 1972 for 25 years and he believes that the stats are biased. His son also works there now for the past 8 years as Police Officer soon to become Sargeant.

My former hometown was Philadelphia and the Police Chief was formerly from Miami and they have a big problem since Chief Timini transferred to Miami years ago.... Police shootings are common in Philly.... I would be more afraid of the criminals who shoot Police Officers over anything else because it means the criminals are brazen enough and those in charge of providing peace mean absolutely nothing. High drug activity usually combines with higher than normal criminal activity.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:16 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,230 times
I go to Las Vegas at least twice a year and can tell you the only place I have ever been where there were about equal on the drunk drivers was Miami. Las Vegas Blvd up until they finally fixed most of the crossings was one if not the most dangerous streets in America right up there with US1 in Miami. I remember one night (and it happens all the time) the police were set up down by where the Star Dust used to be (this was two years ago) and they were loading busses with people Jay Walking. It is a $200 fine and a night in jail. People are still hit on that road virtually every day.

Miami is no different. All you have to do is turn on Channel 7 to see what is really going on. Wait that is the station that had the child molester weatherman and the Anchor who now works at CNN who hit and almost killed someone (the person eventually died in a coma) and left the scene of the crime. Yeah Miami is safe alright now that those two are gone.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM

31 posts, read 34,377 times
if i wrote this list i would put miami as Most dangerous.... Moderator cut: Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-01-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 02:25 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizforum View Post
if i wrote this list i would put miami as Most dangerous.... Moderator cut: Flaming
Yes, Bizforum, you have successfully enlightened us all of how unlucky we are to live in the world's most dangerous city. What other pearls of wisdom might you impart today?

Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
The city of Miami is pretty bad , but these lists are all over the place ... I have seen other lists that have Orlando , Baltimore , Philadelphia , St.Louis and Newark New Jersey all more violent than Miami .. in fact I have seen recent reports that the city of West Palm Beach had higher crime than Miami ... I don't know what to believe anymore other lists have Atlanta and Houston with higher crime rates than Miami

Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times
http://images.forbes.com/media/2009/04/23/03_Miami.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.