Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,014 times

Advertisements

I live in Portland, OR, now, which is a wonderful place but unfortunately not cheap. Since I could live anywhere (I make most of my (modest) living investing) I've been thinking about moving to a smallish town, somewhere that might have a small (even tiny) house on a double lot for $50k.

The deep south isn't attractive to me, and much of the west, though I love it, is too harsh for my ideal garden--a big point for me. I've heard Independence, Kansas, mentioned, and some towns in Iowa and Pennsylvania...

An ideal town would have older architecture (w/o a lot of ugly new development), a decent library, maybe a college in town or not too far away.

Ideas?

Is anywhere in northern California even remotely affordable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,094 times
Maybe La Crosse wisconsin. MIGHT be able to find a "Fixer-Upper" in the 50K-60K range. It is a most beautiful city. Winters cold however!!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM

126 posts, read 549,433 times
There is no way Northern Cali is going to be more affordable than Portland, OR. You may look into Redding CA, but that is not a really desirable area of CA, IMO.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 PM

222 posts, read 811,126 times
Smile Southern Indiana, Anyone?

I used to live in Indiana and I know property can be expensive in the larger cities, but I think in the smaller towns you might be able to get some deals. You may want to consider near Bloomington, which is home to Indiana University. You are also not far away from the state's largest city, Indianapolis. I can't recall their names, but I know there are a number of smaller towns in and around that area that might provide you with what you are looking for. No ocean nearby, but plenty of rivers and a good four season climate without a nasty cold winter.
Can't really talk about jobs, but then that wasn't your question. In my experience, areas in the Midwest that have cheap land usually are not boom towns and a limited number of jobs. BUT, if you could make a decent profit on your place in Portland, you might be able to buy someplace here outright and if you don't have a lot of other dept, how much would you really need to make to play in your big garden?

Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
You might also want to check out some small towns in ohio.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Pittsburgh and its environs would meet most of your criteria. Several colleges in the area, good city library system, cheap housing, most of it old.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:41 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Send a PM to that ScrantonWilkesBarre poster-- I'm sure he can point you to a whole list of beautiful towns in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
You know what, I know you said that the south is out but as a person from your neck of the woods, I think I should mention Fayettville Arkansas. Its a college town, awesome buildings, very hip and cool. Lot of trees, infact it looks alot like southern Oregon. a little muggy in summer, but it wont last. you can find a house for 80K. Not a mansion, but nice. Lakes everywhere. Nice people. Just check it out. As far as the rest of the South, Im with you buddy....EEEEK.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Spring, that's a wonderful site. It's definitely worth checking out. I hope to remember to email the person on the site tomorrow with a bit of info that I have for her. How wonderful that we Boomers are looking out for each other.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Tulsa-Oklahoma.html
This is one of my favorites. If you want to check out housing there, just go to realtor.com. OK seems to be a very affordable place to live and eastern OK is beautiful with the Quachitas and the Ozarks. Their real estate taxes are also extremely low. Of course it depends on the county, but it seems like they're only between 4-5 per thousand. If you like lakes and fishing, check out Grove, OK. I'd love to live there, BUT I still need employment.

If you don't mind colder weather, the Dakotas have smaller towns where housing is extremely affordable. I was just looking in amazement at an ad yesterday for a nearby small town. It is a house built in 2002 that is a 5/2 and a half that is on the market for 135,000. Of course, you aren't looking for that big of a house, but there's an example.

Good luck to you and let us know what you decide on. That's funny~I believe we were posting at the same time and we both suggested nearly the same area of the country.

Last edited by Jammie; 08-05-2007 at 01:44 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 AM

8 posts, read 29,999 times
Canton, NY and Potsdam, NY together have St. Lawrence U, Clarkson U., Potsdam State U., SUNY Canton. Housing is super cheap, high property taxes, cold winters, Food Co-op in Potsdam, excellent schools, active alternative energy and local organic farming. Ottawa, Burlington, Syracuse are all within 3 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.