Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,544 times

Advertisements

Seattle is a great city. One which I plan to visit in the near future. Though as a school project ( 17 years old) when I found more information out about Seattle... and glimse of other USA and Canadian cities I came to question.
It appears ( or at least from my observance) that Seattle is similar more to Vancouver than Chicago ( speaking of geographics, or some word). Though San Fransico, and other cities off west coast seems more related to Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver etc.... To push out further boarders, I also seem more similarities with Seattle and Toronto than Seattle and Chicago, San Fransico etc....

Do anyone know why these similarities seem to exist more, even with a city of Toronto... further from Seattle than San Fransico, Chicago, Denver etc....

( Not sure if I left out anything I should have typed).

I wouldn't think because Seattle is far north, since Minneapolis is as well, and Toronto is not ( though it is more northern than any other city listed besides Twin Cities).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Let me get this right. You are 17 years old? You live in Canada? Are you in Vancouver? Please give us a little to work with here.

If so, yes, Seattle is a great first US visit. You will find both cities very similar, perhaps Vancouver with more inner-city residential, but Seattle with more inner-city business, and Bellevue, one of the top suburbs in the US right now. Seattle has a lot in common with Vancouver, (climate, scenery, similar attitudes politically, and somewhat reserved atleast with the natives.)

Seattle is not like Chicago, or Toronto. It is more like Minneapolis or Pittsburgh, believe it or not. The San Francisco comparisons are intriguing, but SF is more cosmopolitan, and has a deeper history.

I'm not sure this is any help to your question.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Neither, I'm a resident of Michigan

From what I notice, Seattle seems to be more related to Toronto.... Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, I just don't see. Yes, San Fransico relation to Chicago etc.... while I it seems Seattle is common with Toronto, Vancouver more than distant cities such as Chicago, San Fransico, Denver etc.....

Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
OK, sorry, I didn't understand all the Canadian references.

I don't get the Toronto comparison. Toronto and Chicago, yes.

The only reason I mention Minneapolis and Pittsburgh as good comparisons to Seattle is that these three cities are all similar in metro area population, all share a northern location, and Pittsburgh, especially was built on heavy manufacturing, as was Seattle with timber and Boeing. Also, these cities are similar from an ethnic standpoint, being mostly caucasian, more so in Minneapolis. Pittsburgh also is a very hilly city (as is Seattle), and has also been compared to Portland, OR.

If you are 17, you probably have not had a chance to visit a lot of these cities. I would definitely try to do that in the next few years and then you can make up your own mind.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Neither, I'm a resident of Michigan

From what I notice, Seattle seems to be more related to Toronto.... Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, I just don't see. Yes, San Fransico relation to Chicago etc.... while I it seems Seattle is common with Toronto, Vancouver more than distant cities such as Chicago, San Fransico, Denver etc.....
I don't know. I think Vancouver has more in common with Toronto than it does with Seattle. Both are relatively dense and one of the most diverse cities in the world.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Well I guess I was mainly looking at the cities skyline. Then so it's natural landscape/ nature, buildings, and geographics. I wasn't really looking at terms of history etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.