Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,787 times

Advertisements

Gotta go with Virginia and Maryland areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:43 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
North Carolina has 4 very distinct seasons with very long Autumns and Springs. The Winter is noticeable but mild and short by East Coast standards with a slightly longer Summer that is warm to hot but not nearly as bad as areas in the extreme South and along the Gulf Coast.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Well... the western half can all get some lake effect in theory, but in reality it isn't too bad. This winter in the area I am in was in the top 5 snowiest on record, but we never had more than 24" on the ground at any one time, even with 160+ inches total snowfall. A few miles to the west of me Ludington, which is right on Lake Michigan, got less snow than we did. I am only 6 or 7 miles from the Lake, but it blows over Ludington and hits us. After living in the Northeast for decades as well as here, I can tell you that this winter, while snowy was quite easy. Warm spells in between the cold snaps kept the ground cover low, and didn't just drive the cold into you. We only were below 0 at most 3 or 4 times the entire winter and then only overnight, never once did we stay below 0 an entire day.

Short answer: Anyplace can get Lake effect, but it isn't like upstate NY where you get dumped on and it doesn't go away until Spring.
I used to live on the East Side of Milwaukee, about 6 blocks from Lake Michigan. Sometimes, our neighborhood would get pounded with lake effect snow, then you'd go a mile west (away from the lake) and there'd be but a dusting. I'm not a meteorologist, but I think it might've had something to do with the prevailing winds being N and NW in the winter. That's why the eastern side of the lake (Michigan) got wider bands of lake effect snow.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 AM

296 posts, read 644,592 times
Id say KY

Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Somewhere in the lower Midwest, Upper South. Somebody said Maine. Really? The title says "All Four Seasons" Maine barely has a summer

Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Just come back to Upstate NY. Maybe you can move to a bigger city like Syracuse, Rochester, Albany or even Ithaca.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Somewhere in the lower Midwest, Upper South. Somebody said Maine. Really? The title says "All Four Seasons" Maine barely has a summer
Actually Maine usually has a hot Summer and you can bank on 90+ every single year. It gets warn early to mid June and stays nice until early October. Lived there for 20 years, never seen a year it did not top 90.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster73 View Post
My family and I are looking to escape the crazy weather here in Kentucky. The summers are way too hot and the winters are just plain crazy,but we'd still like to be somewhere with all four seasons.

The beauty and open space in Oregon appeals to us, but the weather seems to still be too much like Ky...or am I wrong? Anyone who could clarify this...or let us know about weather in states other than Ky and the North East(We've lived there too.) We'd greatly appreciate any input.
California has all four seasons pretty much 12 months out of the year, depending on what area you visit. That is hard to match in any other state.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:04 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
If you hate lake effect snow, that's kind of a weaker reason to discount Upstate NY... since the heavy lake effect can be easily avoided by staying away from the eastern shore of Lake Ontario.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:17 PM

38 posts, read 116,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually Maine usually has a hot Summer and you can bank on 90+ every single year. It gets warn early to mid June and stays nice until early October. Lived there for 20 years, never seen a year it did not top 90.
I have heard such vast opinions about the summers in Maine. Some people are saying they barely exist and others, like yourself, are saying they are brutal and in the 90's.

Can anyone else weigh-in? Does it depend on the part of Maine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.