Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 AM

31 posts, read 138,878 times

Advertisements

I know there is a thread already on the forum concerning the most libertarian city in America, and I've looked at it, but it was somewhat convoluted and seemed to be a lot of bickering over what exactly libertarianism is. So let me say this, I am not a "diehard" libertarian nor am I completely anti-government, trust me I enjoy a police force as much as the next person, but I do not like the government getting up in my personal business. My dad says I just have a libertarian streak running though me, and it's true that I do prefer places where people tend to live and let live. I'm very much of the school of government is a necessary evil; not my favorite thing, but in some cases it has to exist and operate-so where are some places where that necessary evil actually agrees with me and keeps their involvement to a minimum?

I have heard of the Free state project up in New Hampshire and I have read other posts talking about places like Las Vegas, Denver, Reno, etc. But where else? I know there must be other places, whether they be more out west or down south or wherever. I'm hoping to be able to hear from some people who have actually lived in these areas and know firsthand how things work. So thanks and have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:30 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Not Denver.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Bellflower, California once had Art Olivier as mayor. Art Olivier was the Libertarian VP candidate in 2000. Bellflower is a suburb of Los Angeles.

Alaska, Wyoming, and Montana are traditionally seen as having a fairly strong libertarian element. Parts of Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Idaho, and interestingly Indiana seem to be somewhat libertarian.

Jeff Flake is a fairly libertarianish Congressman. His district includes Chandler, Gilbert, and Mesa, Arizona. Galveston, Texas is in Ron Paul's district. Don't know how libertarian it is from that, but maybe.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Yes, New Hampshire is a good state for independent thinkers. New England as a rule, is generally live and let live. I'm a native of Connecticut but my political leanings are also Libertarian and Conservative (not neo con) yet many of my friends in New England do not share my beliefs yet we get along well and they respect my differing views and values. In contrast, I have found much of the Midwest to be pretty stifling and unaccepting of my free spirit and non conformist behavior. Avoid the Midwest.

Aridzona is another good state for non conformists. My older sister lives near Prescott and she said that part of the state welcomes free spirited people. I think most of Colorado and South Dakota would also be good places along with Alaska. I recently read a report that listed the states which offer an individual the most personal freedom and each of these that I've just mentioned are in the Top 5. New Hampshire was the best and then the others rounded out the Top 5.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I live in Ron Paul's congressional district, so it must be fairly Libertarian. But I can't see where it makes any difference. People don't walk around the streets with their politics showing.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:12 PM

44 posts, read 108,221 times
I would think Nevada has been historically libertarian, but I think recent demographic changes have made it much more liberal than in the past. McCain got slaughtered there when he should have made it competitive.

Montana, Alaska, New Hampshire for sure when it comes to libertarianism.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 PM

44 posts, read 108,221 times
Actually I change my mind on Alaska. It is basically a welfare state that relies on federal tax funds to exist, and gives each resident oil revenue hand-outs (I believe its $1200 a year).

Old 07-28-2009, 03:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolshundle View Post
Actually I change my mind on Alaska. It is basically a welfare state that relies on federal tax funds to exist, and gives each resident oil revenue hand-outs (I believe its $1200 a year).
Considering the last presidential election, that's ironic, huh?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
I really thinks it's time to crank up the Free State Project.

We need it now more than ever.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Well in taxes Montana gets more than it gives too. I think things like that are sort-of misleading though. In many cases I think states with large areas are going to need more roads than smaller states. If they have less people they might not be able to pay for them on their own.

In taxes Colorado, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Texas pay out more than they get.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxing and Spending Benefit Some States, Leave Others Paying Bill

Lakewood, Colorado has a libertarian councilmen named Doug Anderson.

Jefferson County Libertarian Party

Deerfield, New Hampshire used to have a libertarian in the State House and he still seems active in the town's politics. Deerfield's state representation seems to be majority Republican.

revolution: no roadblocks
NH House of Representatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.