Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
I would've picked out this one instead: http://www.redledge.com/blog/wp-cont...2008/09/j4.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:13 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I dislike NJ because it's overcrowded and over developed, in addition to a nanny government that makes it one of the least free states in the U.S. I'm not a Southerner either.
Not the last time I looked

new jersey pine barrens - Google Images

new jersey delaware water gap - Google Images

Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
exactly. anyone who paints a broad brush about the entire state being overcrowded and overdeveloped have not stepped outside Hudson or Essex Counties.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The least crowded parts of NJ are still more crowded than Northern New England or states like Alaska. I've seen what passes for "rural" in NJ and it simply isn't close to rural to someone from VT who's also spent time in Northern Maine. It's simply light suburban. There isn't a lot of private property within the protected portion of the Pine Barrens to live on. The others parts are facing development and sprawl. Come up to NNE for real rural, and Northern Maine for some true wilderness.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,920 times
I found it to be the strangest, back-arsewards place I've EVER been. I dread everytime I have to cross the bridge into it. I swear the people seems to live in another plane of existence... some people love it. You'd have to see for yourself. :P

Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Well, I have a solution to your problem....... don't ever visit or live in New Jersey
It's on my list of places to avoid. The problem is all the people fleeing NJ coming up here to VT and also NH and ME bringing all the garbage with them (especially their dislike of the Second Amendment, big nanny government ideas, etc.) and trying to make VT and other states into what they left behind.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
NJ would probably be mostly like Delaware. Delaware is also sandwiched between two major metros (Philly and Baltimore/DC), has a faster-paced urban area in the north, and a slower-paced coastal area in the south.

NJ is overall nothing like NY or PA, since NY state is completely different from NYC, and PA is completely different from Philadelphia. Both Philly and NYC have more in common with NJ than the rest of their actual states. PA and NY state are actually very similar. I wouldn't mind giving both Philadelphia and NYC to NJ and then merging the rest of PA and upstate NY into one state.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
Quote:
The least crowded parts of NJ are still more crowded than Northern New England or states like Alaska. I've seen what passes for "rural" in NJ and it simply isn't close to rural to someone from VT who's also spent time in Northern Maine. It's simply light suburban. There isn't a lot of private property within the protected portion of the Pine Barrens to live on. The others parts are facing development and sprawl. Come up to NNE for real rural, and Northern Maine for some true wilderness.

i agree. we took a trip to vermont. now THAT is wilderness. we attempted hiking once, i didn't think that we'd make it back to civilization.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,874 times
Quote:
Um, OK ... but you VT people consider Burlington or Montpelier cities, while we don't (because we have NYC). It's all relative. But the rural areas of NJ, by definition of the word "rural", are in fact, rural. Just like Burlington, by definition, is in fact a city. It may be LESS city-ish than what we are used to in NJ, just like NJ's rural areas are LESS rural than what you're used to in VT, but it is a city nevertheless, and NJ's rural areas are rural nonetheless.

Also, have you been to Warren County, NJ , or way down south in Cumberland County, NJ? Or the Pine Barrens? Those areas are pretty goshdarned rural, and yeah, I've been all over Vermont.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Um, OK ... but you VT people consider Burlington or Montpelier cities, while we don't (because we have NYC). It's all relative. But the rural areas of NJ, by definition of the word "rural", are in fact, rural. Just like Burlington, by definition, is in fact a city. It may be LESS city-ish than what we are used to in NJ, just like NJ's rural areas are LESS rural than what you're used to in VT, but it is a city nevertheless, and NJ's rural areas are rural nonetheless.

Also, have you been to Warren County, NJ , or way down south in Cumberland County, NJ? Or the Pine Barrens? Those areas are pretty goshdarned rural, and yeah, I've been all over Vermont.
Most of us don't want cities. You don't go to VT for a big city lifestyle. Most real VT'ers (who can trace their family back several generations in VT, in my case, to the earliest White settlers) don't even consider Burlington part of Vermont.

I've been to the Pine Barrens. They're interesting but I like Northern VT or Northern Maine better. The Pine Barrens are like an island in some ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.