Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is D.C. northeast?
No, it borders Virginia which is most def. the South! It doesn't have the traditional Northeastern climate or culture either. 32 35.56%
Yes, it is too far north to be considered a southern state. 58 64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times

Advertisements

AA is the DC area have a very distinctive accent that is a mix of the Northeast and the Mid Atlantic.

They say bruva = brother; muva = mother and farva = father like Philly and NYC. Terrence is right about the way the R's are pronounced. They tend to drag it out. They also say Merlin = Maryland, Erk = Eric and Earn = Aaron. Taraji P. Henson is using the perfect DC accent in the movies Baby Boy & Smokin Aces. Martin Larence character Sha Ne Ne uses a DC accent when she/he used to say Ahrright = Alright.

White DC natives do not have the same accent as AA DC natives. Maury Povich definitely has a White DC accent. The Tidewater accent is very similar to the Mid Atlantic accent. Listen to Allen Iverson, Mike Vick and Alonzo Mourning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well many southerners don't agree with that. And who knows the South better than a southerner?

And like I said, if south VA was definitely the South, then there wouldn't be so much disagreement about it.
Well many Southerners especially in the Southereastern states of Georgia and South Carolina have a hard time agreeing with all of Texas being the South in which case all of it isn't. But we all know that Texas is still part of the Southern region. Which is the same as Virginia. I was too like the rest of the Texans and said that Virginia is not Southern until I came out here. VA outside of Northern Virginia is about as Southern as Georgia and the Carolina's. Not anyone can tell me that Richmond, Roanoke, Bristol, Blacksburgh, and more are excluded from the Southern. Virginia is most definitely a Southern state.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
Do you think Washington, D.C. is really the northeast or is it too "borderline South" to be considered a "Northeastern city"?
Definitely Northeast IMHO.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,836,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well many Southerners especially in the Southereastern states of Georgia and South Carolina have a hard time agreeing with all of Texas being the South in which case all of it isn't. But we all know that Texas is still part of the Southern region. Which is the same as Virginia. I was too like the rest of the Texans and said that Virginia is not Southern until I came out here. VA outside of Northern Virginia is about as Southern as Georgia and the Carolina's. Not anyone can tell me that Richmond, Roanoke, Bristol, Blacksburgh, and more are excluded from the Southern. Virginia is most definitely a Southern state.
Well somebody explain to me why when I hear people from Virginia talk, they don't sound southern? Michael Vick doesn't sound southern, but he doesn't northern either. He has an accent I'm sure many in the Mid-Atlantic do.

Looks...As beautiful as Richmond's CBD is, it doesn't really look like a southern downtown. In fact, it reminds me of DC. And the architecture around the city reminds me of Baltimore.

Besides all of this, many Virginians do not consider themselves southern. Pine trees and sweet tea don't equal the south.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Well somebody explain to me why when I hear people from Virginia talk, they don't sound southern? Michael Vick doesn't sound southern, but he doesn't northern either. He has an accent I'm sure many in the Mid-Atlantic do.

Looks...As beautiful as Richmond's CBD is, it doesn't really look like a southern downtown. In fact, it reminds me of DC. And the architecture around the city reminds me of Baltimore.

Besides all of this, many Virginians do not consider themselves southern. Pine trees and sweet tea don't equal the south.
I think Richmond is a mix of southern and northern. Anything above it is mostly likely drawn to the northeast (excluding a few cities). Cities like Fredricksburg, Charlottesville, etc all had a northern feel to them. I know people are going to disagree about CV, but it is what is. When we use to visit my dad's side up there; they use to always make fun of the way we talked.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think Richmond is a mix of southern and northern. Anything above it is mostly likely drawn to the northeast (excluding a few cities). Cities like Fredricksburg, Charlottesville, etc all had a northern feel to them. I know people are going to disagree about CV, but it is what is. When we use to visit my dad's side up there; they use to always make fun of the way we talked.
Well that's relative. People have made fun of the way I talk since I was 10.

I remember when I was 16, I was riding the city bus back home in little Columbus, GA to summer school (I'm bad at math what can I say) and the bus driver asked me where I was from (I was a "who me trouble maker". Shucks, still am) and I said Columbus. Then he was like "Ohio?" and I'm like "No Georgia where else?"

So yeah in school my lack of accent and "talkin' white" was always an issue but when I moved to northern VA/DC I'd get a lot of folks making fun of the way I talk "Oh you're so southern" but then again I'd get a lot of "Really? You're from Georgia? You don't have an accent." So yeah like I said its all relative.

Sometimes you just can't win. Some will say you're not "Southern" enough and some will say you're too "Southern". Sorry your relatives were teasin'. I'm sure they didn't mean any harm.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,545 times
I really can't believe we are actually arguing whether Virginia (as a whole) is Southern? The state hosted the capital of the Confederacy, still hosts the museum of the Confederacy, names alot of its roads and schools after Confederate "heroes," and is still the largest prodeucer of tobacco. West Virginia is a different story. The South starts in Fredericksburg.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well that's relative. People have made fun of the way I talk since I was 10.

I remember when I was 16, I was riding the city bus back home in little Columbus, GA to summer school (I'm bad at math what can I say) and the bus driver asked me where I was from (I was a "who me trouble maker". Shucks, still am) and I said Columbus. Then he was like "Ohio?" and I'm like "No Georgia where else?"

So yeah in school my lack of accent and "talkin' white" was always an issue but when I moved to northern VA/DC I'd get a lot of folks making fun of the way I talk "Oh you're so southern" but then again I'd get a lot of "Really? You're from Georgia? You don't have an accent." So yeah like I said its all relative.

Sometimes you just can't win. Some will say you're not "Southern" enough and some will say you're too "Southern". Sorry your relatives were teasin'. I'm sure they didn't mean any harm.
Oh, it didn't hurt my feelings lol

I know I can sound southern. It's was just something to show that some people in the lower northern parts of VA do mock us real southerners.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:17 PM

386 posts, read 987,740 times
Quote:

Some people in VA don't sound southern..but there are still many who do especially outside of Tidewater (Michael Vick, Iverson, Alonzo Morning, etc.) and Northern VA. Check out the video clips to hear some examples!

The first three are some AA Richmond VA examples

YouTube - CUZEN PETE SPITS FLAME @ WOODROW BLOCK PARTY (Fast forward to 55 seconds if you want to skip the rapping intro to hear a typical richmond va accent. lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFg-c_Dg0A&feature=related

YouTube - Where Da Twerkas At Got played in Los Vegaz last Night!!!!!!!!

Percy Harvin NFL for the Vikings from Virginia Beach (Tidewater)

YouTube - Upper Deck Interviews Percy Harvin, NFL No. 22 Draft Pick

Southwest VA Southern accent (Big Stone Gap VA)

YouTube - Big Stone Gap

Elliot Sadler Southside VA accent (race car driver from emporia va)

YouTube - NASCAR driver Elliott Sadler's interview with Allstate®

Elliot Sadler with his family. Typical southside VA accents

YouTube - Hermie, Elliott and Bell Sadler

This video features one guy from Lexington KY speaking, and then the rest are from Lynchburg VA, and parts of southside (south central) VA...notice the accents.

YouTube - IMPACT 2006 Interviews

Also there are still many Virginians who consider themselves southern. Most would outside of Northern VA, and Tidewater (military area), and Im guessing there still are a large portion who still would in Tidewater.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,321 times
Richmond sucks and is totally different then Nova or DC. Please do not compare us to that hick town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.