Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:59 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
in decades past most of the blacks who came to NY were from the South. In rmore recent years, a lot are coming from the Caribbean; Haitians, Jamaicans, etc. There were quite a few where I used to work. Even those who did spend some time in the South as children, still maintained their Islands accents, and especially their native language (as in Creole).

Yes, most of the blacks nowadays are from the islands. I'd say 80% of the black people i work with in the city are from Jamaica. There are many of them on LI too.

I have noticed that the older black people in the city do sound a little southern. I'm talking about those that are like 50+ years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
My accent is the same, I was born and raised in New Jersey and currently live in New Jersey.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:06 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I went to college in Maine and my accent never went away. I never met anyone from NYC while I was in Maine, so I was really in the minority. Most were from small towns in New England. My friends told me my accent was a lot thicker though when I came back from spending time in NY.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
My Uncle was born and raised in NYC. After WW2, he met a girl from Indiana, married, moved there, and spent the rest of his life there. When he came back to NY when I was a kid, I hardly noticed anything about his accent, except he said pop instead of soda. However, by the time he was in his 60s and living there for almost 40 years, I definitely noticed that he had a Midwest accent.

I think it takes a very long time to develop an accent of the place where you move.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:31 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,894,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

I think it takes a very long time to develop an accent of the place where you move.
For some people. My Bayonne born and bred aunt married a serviceman from Arkansas (they met at the MOT, where she was working and he was assigned). After the war they moved to Arkansas, and she developed a drawl very quickly.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Well, not just my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
For some people. My Bayonne born and bred aunt married a serviceman from Arkansas (they met at the MOT, where she was working and he was assigned). After the war they moved to Arkansas, and she developed a drawl very quickly.
I spent all my summers as a kid in Indiana. I actually used to correct them there when I was 10 that it is SODA not pop.

Maybe if you don't like who you are, you will try to adopt an accent of some other place, but even as a CHILD I was very aware and proud of where I came from and who I was. I had no desire to become something I WASN'T, my dear. If you think you can escape this, wait until you move. You will be reminded of where you are from by the natives all the time.

Last edited by TANaples; 09-12-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM

130 posts, read 282,611 times
I'm from the northern woods of Maine, and when I joined the military for a little back in 1982 I thought I was going to go crazy, because everyone was correcting me on how to say my words,
It's walking not walken' or car and not ca' or going not go'n

Old 09-12-2009, 04:58 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
I have a different accent. I grew up in Atlanta and still live there, but due to my parents being New Yorkers I speak with a slight new york accent. However, since I did grow up in the South I spontaneously burst into a southern accent sometimes without knowing it. Sometimes the two mix and I end sounding like an Aussie. True story every bit.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Depends, some times when I'm not thinking about it a Norwegian accent comes through, thanks to my dad, ha ha.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I grew up in the Tidewater of VA in a family from Philly. So I learned from the Virginians how to drop "R"s and from my fam how to pronounce water as "wooder." Then I moved to North Jersey. I don't claim to have a North Jersey accent at all, but "cawfee" is very easy to pick up if you're not careful.

I don't quite sound Virginian. I don't quite sound Jerseyan. People in both states will hear me say something and ask "where are you from?" and often follow with guesses such as Alabama, North Carolina, Philadelphia, Boston, Australia, Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.