Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,424 times

Advertisements

i was born and brought up in ireland but i can safely say that i know of twenty different irish accents... for a tiny country thats serious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 04:28 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Maybe if you don't like who you are, you will try to adopt an accent of some other place,

My aunt liked herself well enough -- and she still does. There's no need to be insulting towards someone you don't even know.

but even as a CHILD I was very aware and proud of where I came from and who I was. I had no desire to become something I WASN'T, my dear.

You don't know me well enough to 'my dear' me. And I don't appreciate the condescension or patronizing tone.

If you think you can escape this,

Where are you getting this from? You're in my head now? You think you know how I think? Not hardly, honey -- in fact, where I'm concerned, you're completely clueless. Where did I say I wanted to escape anything besides winter?

wait until you move. You will be reminded of where you are from by the natives all the time.
And why do you happen to think this is a problem?

I don't ever intend to lose my New Jersey accent, and if I'm reminded of it by the fine citizens of Ocala -- fine with me. It may have been different for you in Naples (especially if your attitude toward the area extends toward the people), but the people in Ocala actually used my accent as a conversation starter -- and not in a bad way. People asked me where I was from, and welcomed me to the area. It was a very positive experience.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I spent all my summers as a kid in Indiana. I actually used to correct them there when I was 10 that it is SODA not pop.
Man -- talk about a cheeky kid. It's soda in New York -- but in Indiana it's pop. So in that case, you were in the wrong, not the people you were visiting.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I have a Brooklyn/Bronx like accent growing up in NJ.
It's because i grew up with a grandpa from Brooklyn and a mom from the Bronx, so i grew up in the same household learning their accent I guess.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Not in Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
And why do you happen to think this is a problem?

I don't ever intend to lose my New Jersey accent, and if I'm reminded of it by the fine citizens of Ocala -- fine with me. It may have been different for you in Naples (especially if your attitude toward the area extends toward the people), but the people in Ocala actually used my accent as a conversation starter -- and not in a bad way. People asked me where I was from, and welcomed me to the area. It was a very positive experience.
You cannot compare transplant/retiree/snowbird haven Naples to any place else. The majority of people here are from someplace else, including Europe. My snowbird neighbor is from Scotland. My other snowbird neighbor is from Pa. The family across the street are from Mexico. WHAT local accent? The majority of people, though, are probably transplants from the Midwest, especially Michigan. If you hear a southern accent in Naples, Florida, odds are the people are from Alabama, Georgia, Tenn., etc. There are very few native Floridians in Naples. They LEAVE Naples to live someplace else in Florida.

Nope. Nobody has a problem "fitting in" here, accent wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.