Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
WE have the opportunity to live wherever we want as long as we have access to a major airport. Right now, we live in Charlotte and it just is not for us. We want a place that is not transient...and it is very much so here.

Our ideal place would be:

Conservative Values & Politics, Good Schools...but we may also do Private, lots of families as we have 3 children, 4 seasons...but short winters, low crime, access to lots of activities, nice friendly-welcoming people.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback that you may have!!

Thanks!
Actually, the OP is looking for more than fiscal conservatism, but without all the transplants.

That's exactly why we did not move to Charlotte from Florida, back in 2005. The city looked like it had the potential to turn into the "IT" place to be; another Florida.

I think there was even one of those ridiculous articles from Forbes or Money or whatever. And anyone that could see the writing on the wall in Florida was heading to Charlotte. At the same time, there was a huge influx of people from the north heading into the Charlotte area.

That's why we went to Knoxville!

Now, we do have transplants, but they are not elbowing into each other and clogging up the roads. And we seem to be getting a lot of NATIVE Floridians that want to return to that easy, kind, Southern way of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of suggestion I should make since the post is kind of vague (No budget) but i'll try

Union, NJ is an affordable city (considering it's location)
You'd be very close to the Newark Airport and NYC. Union is also diverse, and schools are good. I'm not sure if your ok with leaving the southern lifestyle to the NNJ/NYC metro lifestyle, a big culture shock I would presume.
He wants Conservative. He sure isn't going to find it in NJ or anywhere in the North East. We have long, cold winters here too.
I'd look out west which is where I want to go when I retire. Western Nebraska, Southern Wyoming, Utah are some of the places I'm looking at.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
You are right...I was too vague. I was posting way too early in the AM. The Northeast is out...way too much of a mess and way to Liberal for us. We both grew up in Maine & Boston and moved South 5 years ago.

Our budget is around 1MIL for a home and do not need to worry about commute times...but need to be near an airport withing 45 mintues. Right now the two cities we are focusing on are Castle Rock, CO and Southlake, TX.

Also...When I say "Conservative" I mean more Fisically than Socially.

Thanks!!
>>>>>
<<<<<

Then the South-Central ain't for you. It's VERY socially conservative in these parts....From Tulsa to Dallas you basically have the most Evangelical-laced culture in all the United States. (This is a very good thing in my opinion.)

Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Greenville, South Carolina.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Greenville, South Carolina.
South Carolina income taxes are a bit on the high side, I think the poster should lean toward Tennessee because the person cares about schools but probably doesn't want to pay income taxes for the most part and low property taxes, since the person's budget is $1 million, they lot of options going for them

Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
<<<<<

Then the South-Central ain't for you. It's VERY socially conservative in these parts....From Tulsa to Dallas you basically have the most Evangelical-laced culture in all the United States. (This is a very good thing in my opinion.)
I do agree, although Dallas for example is becoming more diverse and changing although the suburbs are more conservative.

You need to be a bit less vague, will you benefit from no state income tax, do you have dividend and interest income which is taxed by Tennessee, if you are making say 50-100k a year no state income tax may not do you much benefit in states like Texas,

Have you lined up a job, will your salary be enough to cover a $1 million mortgage payment at 30% down or so, salaries can differ between localities.

Again, I can't stress the importance of this factor enough. Many people move here and there and regret it or move again especially to the South,West, a lot of different areas.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Amen!

For a big city, Knoxville really does have good public schools. A couple of Knoxville suburbs--Maryville and Oak Ridge--have outstanding
public schools. I think Knoxville's public school system is one edge it has over Chattanooga.

For $1million, the OP can buy a gorgeous home on a beautiful lake with a mountain backdrop and a private boat slip. And still have enough money left over for a yacht and a few BMWs.

While the area is overwhelmingly conservative, as hiknapster mentioned it's still a very live-and-let-live place where people will be friendly to you no matter your political or social outlook.

Weather-wise, our summers aren't excessively hot (certainly not compared to places west and south of here), and our winters aren't very long.

Our little airport is probably the only thing the OP might not like about Knoxville. On the other hand, having a small airport means you almost never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes to go through security. And I've found that international air fares out of Knoxville aren't any more than out of larger airports (Nashville and Atlanta). And compared to high-priced Charlotte Douglas, Knoxville's domestic air fares probably aren't too bad.
Bad idea, but not sure about the suburbs , a $1 million house would have a $12,000 tax bill in knoxville, I am not sure how the suburbs are taxed, in Williamson County which is closer to the international airport , the taxes would be half although the homes are more expensive in certain parts and in Franklin SSD, the taxes are high, there are places in Williamson where the taxes are low outside franklin but stay in country boundaries.

He wants close access to the airport so as far as TN goes that's probably his best choice, he doesn't have to live in Williamson, he can live around Nashville, again tax rate is double but homes may be cheaper, and you get airport access as well as all nashville has to offer with its economy, you mentioned activities.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
I do agree, although Dallas for example is becoming more diverse and changing although the suburbs are more conservative.

You need to be a bit less vague, will you benefit from no state income tax, do you have dividend and interest income which is taxed by Tennessee, if you are making say 50-100k a year no state income tax may not do you much benefit in states like Texas,

Have you lined up a job, will your salary be enough to cover a $1 million mortgage payment at 30% down or so, salaries can differ between localities.

Again, I can't stress the importance of this factor enough. Many people move here and there and regret it or move again especially to the South,West, a lot of different areas.
>>>>>
<<<<<

True. She mentioned Southlake so I'm sure she would be totally out of her element if she was looking for somewhere more socially moderate-liberal.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes!

I've had kids in Massachusetts and Florida schools. I like Knoxville schools. Notice that I said "Knoxville," though. Some of the smaller towns in Tennessee are not very good. Also, I've seen high spending and low performance in other states. Throwing money at something doesn't always work.
The highest performing schools in my area in Texas are also the highest-spending districts, and I saw the same correlation in another state I lived in. I admire educators who can do more with less, but I'd prefer not to force them to compromise or see the good ones leave for a better-paying district when it's my kids they're educating.

I can attest to your point about the smaller districts in Tennessee. I have a friend back there who graduated from high school in a public school district in an adjacent county to Knoxville. He's quite skilled technically and verbally, but he graduated from there unable to write and punctuate a sentence.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
<<<<<

True. She mentioned Southlake so I'm sure she would be totally out of her element if she was looking for somewhere more socially moderate-liberal.
South lake is expensive, has high taxes and a lack of character , its wealthy mainly due to its town square, however compared to other DFW suburbs , it doesn't have any special or rather unique character to really differentiate it, the schools and the respective zoning is probably what influences its values.

High taxes are not necessarily due to South Lake itself, in Texas they have a crazy school financing system referred to "Robin Hood" which can be unfair to a lot of districts and can be unfairly administered with certain districts running out of money, certain districts using crafty ways to get out of payments, poorer districts in Dallas and Houston being defined as property wealthy in comparison with even poorer districts, rural districts using special exemptions or else they becoming property wealthy with any new investments such as wind power, so Caroll ISD has to share its wealth and run out of money, even though school supplies and maintenance suffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.