Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:34 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,682 times

Advertisements

Looking for places that are chill, live and let be.

To quote Phish:

Welcome this is a Farmhouse
we have cluster flies alas
And this time of year is bad
We are so very sorry,
There is little we can do
But swat them

I never ever saw the northern lights
I never really heard of cluster flies
Never ever saw the stars so bright
In the farmhouse things will be alright

Friendly easy going people, people work normal hours, normal house prices, people like to do stuff outside, go to bars, hang out and chill. No one cares about the car you drive or clothes you wear though you can have nice stuff if you wish.

Non materialist culture, low stress.

Interesting to hear about the South too. Here are my thoughts--

Vermont
Alabama
Jackson, Meridian, Mississippi
Memphis, Tennessee
Binghamton - upstate new york in the summertime
southern Delaware
coastal Carolina outside of Obx
the Northwoods

kind of places you can drive and zone out to Phish, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Post Well...

Any place in the rural Great Plains might be what you are looking for. The culture is non-materialistic for the most part. No one will really judge you too much based on the car you drive, the house you live in and the clothes you wear. The people are also fairly laid back and quite friendly for the most part.
Another laid back area would be northern Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan, and northern Minnesota.
Some smalller towns that are fairly non-materialistic in my experience include:
Hayward, Wisconsin
Ely, Minnesota
Park Falls, Wisconsin
Ironwood, Michigan
Millinocket, Maine
Kirksville, Missouri
Houghton, Michigan
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Mason City, Iowa
Berlin, New Hampshire
London, Kentucky
Johnson City, Tennessee
Limon, Colorado

Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,216 times
The only place I can think of in my travels is Burlington (where I used to see Phish for $5 in local bars before they made it big).

Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Any place in the rural Great Plains might be what you are looking for. The culture is non-materialistic for the most part. No one will really judge you too much based on the car you drive, the house you live in and the clothes you wear. The people are also fairly laid back and quite friendly for the most part.
Another laid back area would be northern Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan, and northern Minnesota.
Some smalller towns that are fairly non-materialistic in my experience include:
Hayward, Wisconsin
Ely, Minnesota
Park Falls, Wisconsin
Ironwood, Michigan
Millinocket, Maine
Kirksville, Missouri
Houghton, Michigan
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Mason City, Iowa
Berlin, New Hampshire
London, Kentucky
Johnson City, Tennessee
Limon, Colorado
Up there you work 8-5 and take no breaks. People dont do down time at work heard of the Minnesota work ethic. That ain't chill lol.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
OH yea, the Plains states do have a good work ethic, but trust me, we do take breaks. But it's like Plains10 said, the people aren't judgmental about what you have or what you do for a living. And if you want to get away, there are miles and miles of country to just drive around in and listen to Pink Floyd OR Classic Rock depending on what era you grew up in.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OH yea, the Plains states do have a good work ethic, but trust me, we do take breaks. But it's like Plains10 said, the people aren't judgmental about what you have or what you do for a living. And if you want to get away, there are miles and miles of country to just drive around in and listen to Pink Floyd OR Classic Rock depending on what era you grew up in.
Well I don't like the cold and I'm going to school in Birmingham, Alabama. I think it will be chill enough. Always have the option of living in some places like in Tennessee or the Gulf Coast. I like it down there in any case.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:54 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,568 times
Um .... the Big Easy. Duh.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Alaska, by far.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,873 times
Burlington, Vermont by a long shot. Incredibly firendly and laid back. Great place to live too if you can bear the winters.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,585 times
madison wi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.