Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:07 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

What city would you say has the most happy people and which one would you say has the most disgruntled people? Here are my pics:

Happiest: San Diego. Everyone seems to always be happy all the time because of the nice weather. There is almost no crime there.

Most disgruntled: Detroit. Maybe because they live there. It is like the polar opposite of San Diego. The weather is not so good, and the crime rate is very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:56 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Most disgruntled: Youngstown, Ohio. The majority of metro residents hate their town. Just read the local newspaper's online forums...

Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Most disgruntled: Youngstown, Ohio. The majority of metro residents hate their town. Just read the local newspaper's online forums...
Same with Scranton, PA. Just check out DohertyDeceit.com. The writing is on the wall around them that the Electric City is on the verge of a major recovery, yet most residents continue to have a victimized and pessimistic outlook about their city's future.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:33 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Buckeyes are much grouchier than Wolverines. Hoosiers are relatively happier.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
In my experience, all lists in no particular order.

Happiest: Chicago (city proper), New York (Chelsea, Greenwich Vill., L.E.S. areas specifically,) Ft. Worth, Austin, Nashville, Galveston, extreme northern KY (except Florence).

Also, while I've never been to Detroit, Grand Rapids or Houston, almost anybody I've ever met from those cities has been incredibly polite, cheerful and outgoing. Especially Houston.

I've heard that L.A. (proper, plus Glendale, Burbank, and the beach communities) and San Diego have a "happy vibe" going on. I may be going out there next year to find out.

Middle of the road: Memphis, Dallas, Cincinnati, Knoxville.

Also, Atlanta folks can be M.O.R. or quite happy, depending on the day. Louisville and Birmingham, on the other hand, are M.O.R. or rather surly, depending.

Surly: Evansville (IN), Lexington (KY)

Southern Indiana (i.e. Evansville, Columbus) can be surly and cold. Whereas, folks I've met from northern and central Indiana (i.e.: Kokomo, Bloomington, Indy) have been a mixed bag. I've heard a lot of bad things out Boston (from my dad's business trips there,) Philadelphia (from people on this forum) and Dallas.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 09-27-2008 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 12:46 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Id say The Bay Area is one of the happiest because in a recent survey, nearly 70% of Bay Area residents rated California a great place to live(the only place in the state where a majority felt that way). If the question were asked specifically about whether they liked living in SF and The Bay, it would probably be upwards of 90%.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:27 PM

754 posts, read 1,738,830 times
I'd say people in Maui, Waikiki or anywhere in Hawaii are happy. And I definitely think people in Detroit are generally very unhappy.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:15 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
San Diego and Hawaii seem to have a lot of happy people content with life. The weather is always nice and you have nice beaches, scenery, and lots to do. It's hard to be angry when it's bright, sunny and 75 degrees outside most of the time.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Everyone here in Houston seems to be very happy living here. I guess when there is everything you need at your fingertips, a good job market and great people, how could one not be happy?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
I wouldn't be so quick to say Detroit is the unhappiest. When I was there the attitude was more "oh well this is life, what can you do" than " This sucks, I hate here". They weren't happy, but I wouldn't say they were the most unhappy.

Given the sheer amount of Florida bashing.... I'm sure there is a town here that many are unhappy with. Orlando comes to mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.