Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 12:33 AM

19 posts, read 162,111 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I forgot something. I would have to say the entire south suburbs of Chicago including part of the South Side (not all of it) and most of NW Indiana, not just Gary. There are lots of towns that I could talk about: Harvey, IL; Calumet City, IL; Blue Island, IL; Chicago Heights, IL; Ford Heights, IL (supposedly the poorest town in the country); Markham, IL; Robbins, IL; Phoenix, IL; Dolton, IL; South Holland, IL; Park Forest, IL; Whiting, IN; East Chicago, IN; Hammond, IN.

There are many more than this. I used to have a driving job centered in this area and drove through these towns every day. It sucked. I've never been to or saw such a huge area that is in such economic decline or crime ridden as this one. I just thought I'd throw my thoughts in on this. Don't get me wrong, I love the South Side of Chicago and my beloved White Sox, but to be realistic, there are plenty of neighborhoods (most notably {sp?} the Southeast side that borders Indiana) in this part of town I would never go to (given the choice). The south suburbs truthfully might be worse off.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 AM

109 posts, read 405,366 times
Default Paradise is pretty elusive, ain't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
That Mexican restauant was there a long time ago, probably still is. IIRC you had to go further up that alley, like a little past the Fire Station. The alley was between Boylston / Newberry.

The sad thing I don't really have any super best places to live in the USA. Today I guess the plan is avoid all major population centers. So I try to get by in SE Ohio. Sort of works, you can be far enough out of the loop but still sort of connected. The features that make all those town so undesirable have been exported to just about every place in the USA, tiny to large, lot of it is a matter of degree. Very difficult to find Paradise anywhere in the World. Way too many people looking for it.

One of my brothers even tried the Phillipines, I guess that sort of works, is back in the USA once a year. Maybe the secret is travel a lot and be a moving target. Once you are committed to one place, the negatives seem to ooze out.
Cosmic,

I know the area exactly where that Mexican restaurant is! I used to work around the corner from there years before I lived in Chelsea, in a little French bistro. Would have liked to have gone there.
Yes, everything is starting to look and sound more and more the same, isn't it? Still, I do think every place has a different vibe, and sometimes I find a place where I really think I could live.
It does seem that many people are looking for their own version of Paradise, especially on this forum. Isn't it interesting how all seem to flock to one area or place, then ruin it and try to outrace one another to the next Great Place!
Human nature!
We're going to have increasing problems with drought, erosion, wild fires and floods in the next couple of decades, but we just keep building and developing, hoping the aquifer will hold out.
Global warming, water shortages and overdevelopment= more people looking for another new Paradise to ruin.
When, Oh-dear-God WHEN will we ever learn???!
A lot of truth to your statement about not being a moving target. Pretty much describes my life, except now I'm getting antsy again.
Calgon, take me away!!

ChampWSox05,

Yes, I've seen a bit of that area, and it's pretty bad. Sounds like it should win the Superfund Site of the Year award.
However, you still haven't seen Chelsea, the only town to have been put in receivership since the Depression. ( Thanks for the Wikipedia reference, Cosmic .) I left Chelsea right about the time that happened, oh-so-long ago. The fact that Chelsea won an All-American City award in 1998 tells you a lot about the decline of America since 1991, doesn't it?
I've got to give Chelsea some credit for its pluck and staying power, though. They've tried to burn it down twice, and, Phoenix-like, I mean Zombie-like, it keeps dragging itself from the ashes, and stumbles its way back to Pseudo-life. Ahh, Chelsea! I had such high hopes for you!

Old 11-05-2006, 02:47 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,607 times
Default Jersey City, That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The problem with this thread is people are talking about only one geographical area they are familiar with. And it's all relative to whatever they know. Certainly San Antonio is not one of the "crummiest town's in America" to anyone that has lived around the U.S., certainly Atlanta is not the hottest humidest place in the U.S. (in fact it's elevation up the piedmont means it's at least a few degrees cooler than the rest of the south), certainly Roanoke is not a hellhole to someone that is familiar with Detroit.

I've been to most everywhere in the U.S. and I can give my own top 5 worst list from a universal outlook:

Albany, GA
Fresno, CA
Detroit, MI
Jersey City, NJ
and the worst town to live in, in my opinion is:
Gary, IN
Funny you mentioned Jersey City. Now that Manhattan has basically gotten out of reach the average person, people have flocked to NJ trying to find a close by area to commute from. They try to make Jersey City this new cool place but man, it sucks, in my opinion. But what do I know?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:55 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,607 times
Default new jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aca1 View Post
Why does everyone hate New Jersey. Ive been a few times and really like it. I havent been to the western states like California, but Im suprised the real worse city hasnt been posted (or i havent seen it) New Orleans. the worse city ever. The smell of Louisana is like a dead decaying dog you cant find to dispose of. The city is built under sea level and was just destroyed. it sucks so bad the government didnt care to save it. If you walk on bourboun street by yourself you know some crackhead going to try to get money from you and quuite possibly do it with a gun. Its hot humid and, everyone is stupid, really its not a lie. People in the south in general coulndnt tell you who the first president was and so many people think illnois is in chicago i wanted to kill myself
How can Detroit be the worse city ever if its so close to the greatest country ever- Canada.
New Jersey is useless. I've been from Jersey City all the way south to Camden and Atlantic City. Pathetic state. I left NY (because i couldn't afford to buy a home) and said to myself that i'd rather go all the way down South than to try to move to NJ. Sorry but it's true.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 PM

148 posts, read 520,747 times
I am surprized not to see alot of Pa comments

I would have to say Pgh Pa. I grew up there for 29 yrs and finally left Pgh.

Taxes are horable,
Gangs, drugs, rape, theft, they built a jail just up the street from Downtown Pgh.

Let me say this. North Side is like Brooklin Ny and LA. Seriously, they have 7 different gangs, every drugs on the block, hookers, and it is bad. All you see is kids wearing their gang colors standing on the corner waiting for trouble or drugs.

My mom grew up in East Libirty and when she went back there about 15 yrs ago on her street it was bad, she said that when she drove down her street she saw 2 black kids say about 12 yrs old with guns and smoking.

I grew up in South Side and Greenfield area. I would say those two are ok, not too bad at all. The crime is ok but it is very close to the bad crime. South side has too many bars to be near by.

The worst areas in Pgh is North Side, but if you would read newspapers or watch the news at least 5 killings at each news times, drunk drivings and many rapes.

I remember growing up being able to walk down the streets at 3 am no prob, leave keys in the car unlocked, left the big door open and the screen doors would be unlocked. I miss those days really.

Well I have found a place I call home where we can do the same. Our area we just moved to have very very little crime and it is like what I used to live. I do miss my neighborhood South Side and Greenfield but it is not what it used to be anymore.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 PM

328 posts, read 239,977 times
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

1. Crime

2. After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, housing increased 25% and now there are almost none to even choose from....forget renting.

3. Infested by people who think the government owes them for everything.

4. The corrupt government and one senator (won't mention names, but her first name is Mary) who stated that the buses were underwater...that's why they didn't use them.

5. Ranked 49th for public schools...one can understand once you live here.

6. Worst work ethic I've ever seen.

7. Rude and unfriendly people...not all, but a LOT!

8. In the summer, it is possible to gather enough condensation from a pair of glasses to fill a small inflatable swimming pool...that's how humid it is here, although that might be a slight exaggeration!

9. Louisiana taxes everything as much as they are able to get away with.

10. THEY BITE THE HEADS OFF OF CRAWDADS AND LITERALLY SUCK OUT THE GUTS...AND CALL IT "EXCELLENT CUISINE".

Old 11-06-2006, 11:56 PM

13 posts, read 32,842 times
I have to say Anderson,Alaska.

Every year they have "booze fest" a.k.a. Blue Grass Festival. It attracts allthe

drunken hippies,potheads, and anyone else who thinks camping with everyone

else, and listining to the worst music is fun. The town is less than 900 people

living in shacks out in the middle of nowhere. They advertise the event as

"family friendly" compard to a similer event in Talkeetna,Alaska which is

supposedly much worse. All in all it's a worthless little town off the highway

that you wouldn't wan't to waste your time in.

Fairbanks about 60 miles north, is a much nicer place to visit if you go that far north.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times
I have three cities:

Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 92,690 times
I have a smaller city to add to the list. The Dalles Oregon is down the gorge about 70 miles from Portland. The city is full of drunks,druggies,ex-cons,and bad attitudes. Yea it's the people who make it bad not the location.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:56 AM

124 posts, read 461,761 times
I'm going to throw another vote in for El Paso. The pollution there is uber thick. It actually blocked out the sun one of the days we stayed there on our way to phoenix. It's stinky and definately a border town. I'm sure I would throw a vote in for Chelsea too if I had been there before after reading all these comments. thanks for an entertaining thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.