U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2009, 08:28 PM
 
182 posts, read 442,805 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

OHHHH so many options lol. Thanks.

Why is the boom in Florida over if you dont mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Reputation: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Raleigh:
  • Fastest Growing Metro in the US
  • Projected highest growth rate through 2025
  • On "top ten list" after "top ten list"...
  • Huge creative class population
  • Recently listed as America's Smartest City (Raleigh/Durham)
  • Huge university scene
  • Anchors NC's most progressive major metro area (Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA) blah, blah, blah...
It depends on how you define fastest growing. If we are talking based on percentages, then yes it is. But if we are talking numeric growth (meaning gaining most new residents total), then DFW followed by Atlanta, Phoenix, and Houston are at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2009, 11:24 PM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 6,118,885 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I see North Carolina and Tennessee as some of the next boom areas. People are leaving the Midwest and Northeast in large numbers, and some of the more traditional sun belt states boom times are over

Sun belt boom over (at least for now):

-Florida
-Arizona
-Nevada
-California, but it will recover quicker than the others

New sun belt/desirable areas that are primed to boom:

-Tennesssee is getting a lot more transplants
-North Carolina is getting a lot from both NE/Midwest and halfbacks from FL
-Texas is getting all sorts of new residents: immigrants, northeast, Midwest, West....
-Colorado, a lot of Californians are heading there
The boom might be over in Florida, which last I heard was losing population for the first time in history, but the rest of the Sunbelt is doing just fine in terms of population growth.

Arizona is still the fastest growing state in the country. I would still say that Phoenix is the most up and coming place. The city is making strides to become more of a "real city" and people are noticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It depends on how you define fastest growing. If we are talking based on percentages, then yes it is. But if we are talking numeric growth (meaning gaining most new residents total), then DFW followed by Atlanta, Phoenix, and Houston are at the top.
The OP was about up and coming cities. I don't think DFW, Atlanta, Phoenix and Houston qualify as up and coming.
But, then again, perhaps you are just replying that absolute numbers are different from growth rates? Who knows?
But, I'll add that the Triangle will likely be "reunited" with the Durham/Chapel Hill Metro by that time and the total population will be closer to 2.5 million instead of the almost 1.9 projected for the 3 county area in the current Raleigh/Cary metro. This would be a larger absolute growth number but a smaller growth rate since Raleigh/Cary grows much faster than the current Durham/Chapel Hill metro. Alas, in reality, these two MSA's function more like one single metro now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
The boom might be over in Florida, which last I heard was losing population for the first time in history, but the rest of the Sunbelt is doing just fine in terms of population growth.

Arizona is still the fastest growing state in the country. I would still say that Phoenix is the most up and coming place. The city is making strides to become more of a "real city" and people are noticing.
Nevada and Arizona are in the same dire straits as Florida is with the housing crisis. They might be getting residents still, but they aren't booming like they were.

They also both have a massive fiscal crisis, like Florida.

The economy has taken a huge hit there as well as Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfire View Post
OHHHH so many options lol. Thanks.

Why is the boom in Florida over if you dont mind me asking?
For the first time in decades, more people are leaving Florida than entering. This also includes immigrants, which is really alarming since immigrants usually offset the state by state migration to result in a net increase.

The budget is a disaster, many Florida cities lead the country in foreclosures, the tourism based economy was nearly shattered by this recession and there is rampant unemployment.

Granted I do think Florida will recover relatively soon, but for now the boom is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 AM
 
182 posts, read 442,805 times
Reputation: 24
Thanks for all your posts. So do you think San Jose CA is a good option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Reputation: 11136
Depending on your career path, a stint in San Jose might be a good decision. However, it's VERY expensive to live there and having a huge salary would be helpful. I grew up in San Jose and now work for a San Jose company. I work for them remotely and ocassionally take trips there. I wouldn't call it up and coming though. It's a very established city that grew explosively from the 50's-70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: St Louis
1,117 posts, read 2,591,185 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I see North Carolina and Tennessee as some of the next boom areas. People are leaving the Midwest and Northeast in large numbers, and some of the more traditional sun belt states boom times are over

Sun belt boom over (at least for now):

-Florida
-Arizona
-Nevada
-California, but it will recover quicker than the others

New sun belt/desirable areas that are primed to boom:

-Tennesssee is getting a lot more transplants
-North Carolina is getting a lot from both NE/Midwest and halfbacks from FL
-Texas is getting all sorts of new residents: immigrants, northeast, Midwest, West....
-Colorado, a lot of Californians are heading there
Not too many people are leaving the midwest and northeast these days. Most have finally realized the the sun belt is overblown and doesnt compare. I think the only major city still losing population is Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Not too many people are leaving the midwest and northeast these days. Most have finally realized the the sun belt is overblown and doesnt compare. I think the only major city still losing population is Detroit.
Pittsburgh and Cleveland metros are going to be shrinking too through 2025. I don't know if you consider these to be major cities or not.
I also wouldn't hold my breath for long term growth in Dayton, Akron, Toledo, Youngstown, Flint, Syracuse, Rochester or Buffalo either. All of these metros are projectd to contract over the next 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top