Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times

Advertisements

My older brother and his wife who currently live in Toronto are expecting their first child, and they have decided they want to move back to the US. My brother and his wife are both doctors, so they have job opportunities in any city and should be able to afford to live in any city. They are looking to move to a suburb of a major city since they don't want to raise a kid in the city. I know a lot about cities, but I don't know very much about suburbs, so this is where I need your help. They are considering Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Boston, Denver, San Diego, DC, Dallas, and Atlanta. They are looking for a suburb that isn't too cookie cutter that have a lot of young families such as themselves that is very close to the city so they can still conveniently enjoy all of the amenities of the city. What are some great suburbs of these cities (or of other cities you think might be a good fit) that fit the description? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
San Diego. Check out a cool little town about 1/2 north called Leucadia.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
If they're looking to stay away from cookie-cutter, then they should avoid Atlanta and Dallas. The newer cities like those are known to be that way.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
San Diego. Check out a cool little town about 1/2 north called Leucadia.
Leucadia seems like a nice place from the pictures I just looked it, I'll be sure to mention that to my bro. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
Brookline, MA - right next to Boston (parts of it feel like you're still in Boston), the T (train) runs through it, very close to one of the major medical areas, top notch school district, cute, walkable commercial areas with shops and restaurants. Very expensive though - single family homes are probably around 1M+ and we're not talking new construction. Lots of charm though.

Newton, MA as well. Right next to Brookline and another very nice suburb.

Many medical professionals with families live in these areas because, well, they can afford it, the public schools are great and close proximity to Boston hospitals.

ETA - Brookline is the birthplace of JFK. One can tour the childhood home.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
The job market is really tough in California right now for most professions, so I don't know how easy it would be to get a job, even for doctors.

DC has a relatively good job market and has many family-friendly suburbs with some character (and good schools). I'm not sure of the schools, but areas around Alexandria, for example, are filled with character, are convenient to getting into DC, and have a lot of kids.

They might want to consider Minneapolis as well. There are many neighborhoods within the city that aren't traditionally "city," as well as some very non-cookie cutter but very nice inner suburbs with character and convenience (St. Louis Park, for one), great schools, and lots of young kids. Minneapolis/St. Paul offers a lot of the amenities associated with bigger cities but at a lower price tag (but still relatively high salaries), so although they may be able to afford anywhere, they'd still get a lot more for their money in Minneapolis than in somewhere like Boston. Minnesota is known for its good schools.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Leucadia is great; so, too, is neighboring Encinitas. If you live in the older part closer to the beach you can still get a sense of the traditional beach town. Beautiful beaches, nice weather, great downtown. Scripps Hospital is very convenient, otherwise there's also commuter rail (or not an unbearable drive) to get into San Diego.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:09 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Washington DC hands down.

The job market even now continues to be good and has great family friendly suburbs with character as uptown_urbanist pointed out. In Northern Virginia, other than Alexandria (where schools overall are just OK) they might want to look at Vienna (the old center section versus the newer section to the west) or the town of Fairfax (central core as well). Both are served by the Fairfax County School System which is one of the best in the nation.
Vienna, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Town of Vienna, Virginia, Town Government . (http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Info/visitorinfo.htm - broken link)
Fairfax, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Destination Fairfax: City of Fairfax, Virginia

Suburban Maryland offers some nice choices but for character would focus on Chevy Chase and Bethesda. Montgomery County Schools are also excellent, and both towns have a lot of well kept character homes.
Town of Chevy Chase
Bethesda, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.bccchamber.org/content.as...&contentid=800

Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 AM

My brother and his wife have (as of now) narrowed it down to Boston, Minneapolis, and SF. They are looking into Needham, Newton, Wellesley, and Brookline in the Boston area, Edina, Eden Prairie, and Wayzata in the Minneapolis area, and San Mateo and Berkeley in the SF area. Thanks for all the help, it is very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.