Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,339 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am a 25 year old female currently living in Minnesota and working as a Social Worker. I have lived around the world growing up, as my parents worked as teachers through the Government. I like change and I also enjoy warm weather! I clearly am in the wrong state for that aspect! I do eventually want to get my Masters in Social Work, wherever I move to. I will apply for jobs before I move, that way I will be financially ready. However, I am undecided on what city to look at.

So far, I have been thinking about Charleston, South Carolina and Wilmington, North Carolina. I enjoyed both cities when I visited them. I am open to all areas in the U.S. though, and am willing to hear opinions from other young professionals, such as myself, as to which areas they found most thriving and interesting! I would be moving by myself, therefore I am a tad nervous, as I will not know anybody. I am interested in cities where there are plenty of outdoor activities to be involved with and other clubs/organizations that would increase my chances of meeting people/making new friends!

Any advice or input would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:23 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Thriving and interesting definitely describes Charleston though I think you could find Wilmington a little quiet. You might also consider Savannah if you're interested in coastal living. In terms of job demand and subsequent higher salaries you might consider a city like Atlanta which is booming again and offers some great affordable neighborhoods for young professionals and plenty of things to do in what is generally a pretty friendly city.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:49 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Why is Minnesota wrong for you?

Would you consider a climate with less harsh winters than MN, such as the lower Midwest? You might have mild winters in the Carolinas, but you will have to deal with considerable heat and humidity in summer months, and the occasional hurricane or perhaps tropical storm. Is that a problem?

What types of recreational activities interest you? Check local recreational assets carefully.

E.g., more than many states, Ohio has for a century authorized the acquisition and maintenance of nature preserves as county parks. These systems, often called metroparks, are quite impressive and provide recreational opportunities to residents. Other states would find it impossible to duplicate these systems in already developed urban areas.

Residents of Greater Cleveland benefit from both its "Emerald Necklace," but also from the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and metropark systems in surrounding counties, state parks, and private nature preserves such as the large Holden Arboretum. Active individuals use these parks in winter for downhill skiing, tubing, cross country skiing, sledding, ice skating, hiking, etc. The Cleveland Metroparks even have toboggan runs. Most parks have bridle trails and horse-riding is very popular.

With the exception of last January and February, winters in Ohio have been much more mild in recent years, likely due to global warming. Being further south, winters are shorter and more mild in the likes of Ohio than in MN. Cincinnati is warmer than Cleveland. Ohio, however, likely is more cloudy than even MN in the winter.

For any destination, check weather averages for each month of the year carefully, including heat and humidity in the summer. You can do this at the excellent weatherspark.com.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Last edited by WRnative; 06-07-2015 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Don't punish yourself by moving to Ohio.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Don't punish yourself by moving to Ohio.
If the OP is interested in high culture, pro sports, and a dynamic downtown area, there is no place in VA that could wear Cleveland's baby shoes, unless she would consider Washington, DC, suburbs.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:05 AM

Cleveland's not that much larger than the area I live in, bub, but that doesn't mean I was necessarily going to recommend it.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Cleveland's not that much larger than the area I live in, bub, but that doesn't mean I was necessarily going to recommend it.
Who cares what you recommend, as you likely, based on your comments, have no knowledge of Cleveland or its attributes?

I don't know where you live, but Cleveland, unlike even Washington, DC, has all three major pro sports venues in its compact downtown. Its University Circle is one of the nation's best cultural centers, with one of the nation's best art museums (with free admission), one of the world's best orchestras in what typically is considered the nation's most beautiful concert hall, one of the world's best medical centers, and a top-40 national university, as well as several other excellent cultural institutions. Cleveland's Little Italy, adjacent to University Circle, is one of the best remaining in the U.S. Cleveland otherwise is an acclaimed foodie center, with James Beard winners such as the "Chew's" Michael Symon, and with its Market District centered around the West Side Market.

Here's an article from the Washington Post from five years ago, discussing the West Side Market. The Market District is much more robust today with an additional major brewery, more restaurants, and a hostel, and due to a massive redevelopment of the eastern "Flats" (Cuyahoga River valley downtown), the Waterfront rail rapid line has resumed operation through the East Flats and along the lakefront.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092404092.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g5...de.Market.html

And what attributes does your community feature?

Most Clevelanders live 10-15 minutes from parks such as these and good lakefront parks, or within 30-45 minutes of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park with its great trails, biking, Blossom Music Center, and downhill skiing/tubing. The Cuyahoga River through downtown now features a rowing center and rental kayaks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Metroparks

http://www.ohiobikeways.net/emerald.htm

http://www.neonaturalist.com/parks/c...etroparks.html

http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm

This park system with exquisite parks, including both swimming and wild beaches, also is part of Greater Cleveland but separate from the Cleveland Metroparks.

http://www.lakemetroparks.com/parks/

http://ianadamsphotography.com/news/...s-lake-county/

The OP should consider her needs and do her own research.

Unlike you, I'm familiar with MN and winters in the Midwest and the advantages and negatives of the region. I know that MN is different than the lower Great Lakes region, especially regarding the lengths of winter. Lake Erie affords Greater Cleveland a giant air-conditioner in the late spring, and a giant heater resulting in beautiful autumns, but also "lake effect" snow especially in the higher elevations of its eastern suburbs until Lake Erie freezes over in February, which hasn't always occurred in recent years.

Of course, many MN natives enjoy winter sports. I've spent time in a MN county with thousands of miles of groomed cross country trails.

As the OP already lives in MN, she's there for some reason. If she moves to another region, she may find there are things that she misses about MN or even the climate, depending upon where she currently lives. There are remote areas of MN that are much different than Minneapolis/St. Paul.

This last thought about seeking the "greener grass" inspired my comment.

Last edited by WRnative; 06-07-2015 at 07:59 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 07:26 AM

Actually, I'm quite familiar with Minnesota. I lived in South Dakota last year, and made frequent trips to Minneapolis (the only city in the Midwest I actually like). Don't make assumptions that I don't know what the Midwest is like, because I know what the midwest is like more than I'd care for. I'm well-traveled.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Actually, I'm quite familiar with Minnesota. I lived in South Dakota last year, and made frequent trips to Minneapolis (the only city in the Midwest I actually like). Don't make assumptions that I don't know what the Midwest is like, because I know what the midwest is like more than I'd care for. I'm well-traveled.
My assumptions were based on your comments.

I've since read that you promote the Hampton Roads area.

I guess you're counting on the federal government to bail you out as global warming continues and sea levels begin to rise in earnest in coming decades. Candidly, many persons in the Midwest and elsewhere are sick of tens or hundreds of billions of "hurricane relief" for states that refuse to pay their own way, and likely won't be willing to ante up the trillions needed to deal with sea level rise.

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/24/324891...g-and-planning

Bad News Keeps Flowing From Antarctica | Climate Central

Equating South Dakota with Greater Chicago, the Michigan Gold Coast, or Greater Cleveland, is ridiculous IMO. South Dakota is over twice as far from Cleveland as Washington, DC. Well-traveled? :-)

Last edited by WRnative; 06-07-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,339 times
Thank you for the opinions everybody! I appreciate all suggestions, even if people disagree with some of them! I do not have an interest in Ohio, but that is interesting to know about the park system there! Minnesota is a great state in many aspects, but the winters are what gets to me the most!

Does anybody else have suggestions for cities? I have heard that Savannah is really nice, as well, but I have yet to visit there! I also have heard great things about Austin, Texas too.

Any suggestions from all walks is much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.