Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:41 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,419,654 times

Advertisements

I've been lucky enough to have worked most of my adult life in the sunny and dry Southwest, a place a lot of people consider for retirement and relief from arthritis, allergies, snowy winters, etc. But I feel like I've soaked up enough sunshine for a lifetime, and can't stop wondering if I should try someplace else in retirement (in 5 years), or just stay put. A small city or college town sounds nice and manageable. Part of me feels like picking up and getting a fresh start somewhere else, somewhere greener, somewhat rainier and snowier, but not severe. I grew up in New York and New England but wonder if I could survive the winters there now without going crazy.

Here's my question: Has anyone reading this left the Southwest, or a warmer, milder climate, to retire in a place that's cooler, and are you happy with your decision? Or am I nuts to think about leaving? I've known people here who moved away and then moved back, realizing they'd made the wrong choice, and there are others who moved away that I never heard from again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 05:11 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Retiring in the Northeast is a great choice with many different opitions available. The northeast urban cities have so much to offer a senior in the form of attractions and things to do.

Northeast Retirement Communities

Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,838 times
Retiring in the Northeast is just about the last thing I would ever consider. I have heard from plenty of people who have left NJ/NY to retire in North Carolina, Florida, Texas, and Arizona, and the majority seem quite happy. I have heard from very few who move from a Southern or Southwestern state to the Northeast and are pleased. Most end up moving back within 2 years.

My suggestion is try a place like Tennessee. Plenty of greenery, four seasons but not an overwhelmingly harsh winter (although they have gotten more snow than usual this year), no state income tax (a positive overall, even with regard to your position), lower cost of living overall, etc.

Look at the winters we are getting up here this year. I'd give anything to be where you are now. Don't throw that away on foolishness.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Retiring in the Northeast is a great choice with many different opitions available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Retiring in the Northeast is just about the last thing I would ever consider.

You two are funny, I think we should settle this somewhere around where 42 meets 55.

New Jersey's version of the Hatfields and McCoys - carry on (I know sarcasm does not always translate in these forums)

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-20-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times
I moved from the South to the Northeast and would not want to go back. I have dreams of retiring in Northern New England. I know others who have the same dream. We're not in the herd, but we're not crazy either.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
The taxes keep many from retiring in the northeast. Property taxes in many desirable areas can be simply unmanageable for someone on a retirement income. There are areas that would be nice. If I had a good amount of money, I could see having a nice condo in Back Bay in Boston for example.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I moved from the South to the Northeast and would not want to go back. I have dreams of retiring in Northern New England. I know others who have the same dream. We're not in the herd, but we're not crazy either.
Well, if I had to live somewhere in the North, and perhaps I've said this before - I would choose Northern New England. The taxes aren't as insane as the Mid-Atlantic and Southern New England states, there is more fresh air and room to move around, and they aren't as insanely one-sided liberal (With the exception of areas in Vermont, most of which have been influenced by years of migration from New York and Massachusetts).

If I had to choose a Northern state, it would probably be Maine.

Never New York or New Jersey though.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I've been lucky enough to have worked most of my adult life in the sunny and dry Southwest, a place a lot of people consider for retirement and relief from arthritis, allergies, snowy winters, etc. But I feel like I've soaked up enough sunshine for a lifetime, and can't stop wondering if I should try someplace else in retirement (in 5 years), or just stay put. A small city or college town sounds nice and manageable. Part of me feels like picking up and getting a fresh start somewhere else, somewhere greener, somewhat rainier and snowier, but not severe. I grew up in New York and New England but wonder if I could survive the winters there now without going crazy.

Here's my question: Has anyone reading this left the Southwest, or a warmer, milder climate, to retire in a place that's cooler, and are you happy with your decision? Or am I nuts to think about leaving? I've known people here who moved away and then moved back, realizing they'd made the wrong choice, and there are others who moved away that I never heard from again.
Considering that most places in the U.S. are greener, rainier, and snowier than where you live - you have many options. There are many middle-of-the-road areas as far as weather where you wouldn't experience the extremes of desert or tundra. North Georgia is a very attractive retirement spot that would be opposite your area without the extremes. Asheville NC is another one.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 AM

65 posts, read 62,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

I think that you should definately make the move. Visit a place in the north and go for it if you would like it.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,419,654 times
Thanks to all for your input... I'm still waiting to hear from people who moved north specifically for retirement and are glad they did (or not). When I lived in NY/New England I knew lots of people who had moved there from the South for work or school, but at that time I didn't know any retirees who did that. It's a different ball of wax.

Expenses will definitely be a factor, I'm a fairly average wage earner and can retire in my early 50's with a modest pension. If money weren't an issue I'd probably choose Boulder, Colo., or maybe Seattle. But yes the cost of property taxes and heating bills are a definite consideration.

Places I've been thinking about (which might make a nice project for exploring on vacations over the next few years) are Eugene, Ore., Colorado Springs, Bloomington, In., Ithaca, NY, Northampton, Mass., Brattleboro and Burlington, Vt. I have a strange cousin in the Asheville NC area which would make it weird to move there. I would like to avoid places that are steamy hot in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.