Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM

106 posts, read 382,070 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that by living in the South people are more likely to conform and be like others rather than being more independent and free willed thinkers?

I ask this question in that our English class was reading a Ralph Waldo Emerson poem (Emerson was known for his individualism) and one of my classmates got from it that he belived that in the South people are more likely to conform to the expectation of others rather than if they lived out West or in the Northeast.

So needless to say do you think that by living in the South people feel more pressured in a sense to join a certain church or network with a group of people to feel fully accepted??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
No, not at all.

The south, southwest and western portions of the United States are all about privacy, exclusion and the lone ranger, if you'll pardon the old-timey expression. It's mostly a culture based on being very very private.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,821 times
So why then does everyone in the South ask what church you go to?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:09 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
So why then does everyone in the South ask what church you go to?
If you really believe that crap then I think you need to look at why YOU conform to believing tired, old stereotypes. You can't predict what people are like based on their color, race, religion, economic status, GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION, etc.

There are people in every region of the U.S. that are conformists...then there are others who are individualists. There isn't a concentration of one or the other in any particular region.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
The South? No. Midwest, Yes! Very conformist culture in many areas of the Midwest. If you act independently of the herd it is frowned upon and often times they try to run you out of town. That has been my experience in some parts of the Midwest.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:52 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
I think it's mainly rural areas. Areas that don't want to stand out and are used to their ways; don't care for change.

I do understand where the OP is coming from though. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people in the south say, "if you don't like what we have here, move back north where you came from" ..or something along those lines.

Such close-mindedness. Fortunately, it's not like that everywhere in the south.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:29 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I think it's mainly rural areas. Areas that don't want to stand out and are used to their ways; don't care for change.

I do understand where the OP is coming from though. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people in the south say, "if you don't like what we have here, move back north where you came from" ..or something along those lines.

Such close-mindedness. Fortunately, it's not like that everywhere in the south.
While I've never actually lived in the South, I've never felt unwelcome there even when passing through a small town for a night or two at the local motel and eating at the local restaurants. Can't say the same for the Midwest though. Some small towns and even some metro areas like Kansas City are filled with people that will try to run you out if they don't like you or because you won't conform to their way of life.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I dunno. I have always felt like I could be more myself and be accepted in Texas than I ever did in California.

Though I guess that's not technically the south.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
Texas is the South in many many people's opinions.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Texas is the South in many many people's opinions.
I would disagree. But what do I know? I just live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.