Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times

Advertisements

Looks like the midwest will be the next spot for high speed rail. $810 million to add rail from Milwaukee to Madison. Then they are fixing up the existing track from Chicago to Milwaukee to be suitable for the 110 mph train. Also mentioned in the future extending it from Madison to the Twin Cities.

Great thing in my mind for public transit. Hopefully this gets moving in other places around the country as well. It mentions that Obama will be down to discuss it in Tampa soon.

Wisconsin to get $810 million for high-speed rail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Looks like the midwest will be the next spot for high speed rail. $810 million to add rail from Milwaukee to Madison. Then they are fixing up the existing track from Chicago to Milwaukee to be suitable for the 110 mph train. Also mentioned in the future extending it from Madison to the Twin Cities.

Great thing in my mind for public transit. Hopefully this gets moving in other places around the country as well. It mentions that Obama will be down to discuss it in Tampa soon.

Obama announced the plans for several high speed rail projects last Thursday in Tampa. The biggest winner was CA who received 2.7 billion for their high speed rail project to connect San Francisco to L.A., then FL who received 1.25 billion for their high speed rail project to connect Tampa to Orlando and then eventually Orlando to Miami. the rest of the locations received less than 1 billion, which is not nearly enough. CA wanted 4.7 billion and FL wanted 2.5 billion, and there is no way any other location can build high speed rail with under a billion dollars. I don't know if these projects will actually help the economy that much but i guess we will see what happens.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:

He already announced it.

I know Illinois got $1.2 billion on Thursday, but that's for the Chicago-St. Louis route.

I don't think they're doing anything on the Milwaukee-Chicago route yet. They already have infrastruture in place there, and there are a dozen or so trains a day that go between the two cities.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
He already announced it.

I know Illinois got $1.2 billion on Thursday, but that's for the Chicago-St. Louis route.

I don't think they're doing anything on the Milwaukee-Chicago route yet. They already have infrastruture in place there, and there are a dozen or so trains a day that go between the two cities.
That Hiawatha Line is only from Kenosha to Chicago though right? This might help things out a little bit more and will definitely be a quick train ride.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:10 PM

306 posts, read 475,902 times
There has been talk of a Twin Cities - Chicago line for a while now. MN Officials Support TC-Chicago High-Speed Rail - wcco.com (http://wcco.com/local/twin.cities.chicago.2.1399421.html - broken link)

Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
High Speed Rail Finally Coming to the US: A Look at the Plans (Video) : TreeHugger

this article and video breaks it all down. Looks like FL's high speed rail will be the first to be complete. Mainly because FL has been planning this for a while now and is already land ready to start construction. I heard that the hiring for the jobs will begin within 60 days from now for the Tampa-Orlando corridor.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
SF to LA in 2 1/2 hours! Can't wait for that. Its normally a 5 to 6 hour drive between the two cities so it makes it hard to do a day trip to either cities unless you are flying.I can leave for LA in the morning and make it back to the Bay Area before dinner.However last night on the news I saw that some cities like Palo Alto were actually fighting the train because they were worried about the fast speed...someone always has to ruin the party.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
That Hiawatha Line is only from Kenosha to Chicago though right? This might help things out a little bit more and will definitely be a quick train ride.
No, you're thinking of the Metra Line. The Hiawatha Line runs Chicago-Milwaukee.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:46 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
810 Million for just the Milwaukee to Madison route? why so 15 people can ride it. Madison is not that big why not just concentrate on Milwaukee-Chicago-St.Louis-Twin Cities-Detroit. Great more tax dollars down the drain.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No, you're thinking of the Metra Line. The Hiawatha Line runs Chicago-Milwaukee.
O yea. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.