Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,645 times

Advertisements

Tell about any culture shocks you have experienced while traveling or moving.

I'll start. When I went to NYC, it was a shock to me how loud the subways were and how crowded Penn Station was. Also I wasn't used to the density since I live in a suburban area. (I didn't dislike it, I just had to adjust it. I loved NY, hence my location status).
When I went to the Bay Area, the gold hills and clear skies made everything seem really wide open. It was also nice how the suburbs had nice walkable downtowns and were extremely well kept.
When I went to London, it was shocking how cold it was. Also it was weird in a way because a town I went to was exactly like I had imagined England. Going there was really cool because it was my first trip outside North America.

Anyway, tell your experiences!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM

434 posts, read 1,165,391 times
While visiting Hawaii a couple of years ago, I was shocked by the lack of air conditioning use. The condo complex we stayed at only had ceiling fans. It was so warm and so humid (day and night) and the air felt stagnant, but by the time my vacation was over I had become used to it all!

Also, when I was in San Francisco last summer I experienced my coldest 4th of July ever. I'm used to the typical Great Lakes 90-degree summer temps; so a 50-degree cloudy, windy evening was kind of shocking. However, despite lower temperatures in SF, I was still able to get sunburn! Go figure!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 AM

5,869 posts, read 11,932,472 times
San Francisco in the summer definitely. We went in mid-August and I had no idea it was going to be so cold!!

I would also say moving from a small town in Central Florida in 1977 to Houston was a major culture shock for me. It took me a year before I wasn't afraid to get on the freeway. Didn't help that I had just gotten my drivers license a couple of months prior to moving!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,683 times
Visiting family in Michigan from Florida.

The weather for one thing. Once I visited in the spring and there was still snow on the ground. The landscape is way different. The farm culture and amish are something I've never experienced before. The demographics were like 99% white. Almost everyone in town knows everybody else. And there is such a lack of things to do other than fishing or hunting.

A small town in Michigan is nothing like a city in Florida. But I still like them both.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
My friend and I were pretty culture shocked when we went from Chicago down to Mountain Home, Arkansas to visit a friend who was doing a work rotation there. Had to drive 2.5 hours from the nearest city, shopping mall, airport, freeway.

I was amazed at how almost everyone we talked to referenced us as "yankees". I have heard the term before, but never heard anyone actually say it out loud. There was this constant "well you northerners" or "up north". I'd never even thought about that before. To me Arkansas is in the south, just like New York is in the Northeast, Washington is in the Northwest, Phoenix is in the Southwest. Just another region.

The whole NORTH VS SOUTH thing was so prevelent to people, it was very strange to me. Also how religiuos people were. We had strangers asking us what churches we went to within a few minutes of meeting them! Also the fact there was only TWO bars in an area of 30,000 people. One was dead, and the other had a big sign out front that said ABSOLUTELY NO GUNS ALLOWED. My friend and I were like - are you fu$$$$$ kidding me!? It was fun, but totally not what I'm use to in a preppy/gay/high income area of Chicago.

It was fun, but I don't think I could have survived there given my preference for a lack of religion and a plethera of alcohol. My friend had a ton of stories about living down there. The guy across from her had cut-outs of Jesus hanging all over his front door and windows, and hosted his own church services every other night. When we walked by one night a huge sign said CHURCH IS CANCELLED - MY LEG HURTS. Haha. She worked in a small office that was 100% white (I think the whole town was pretty much). People would openly talk pretty racist and anti-gay. She was talking with a woman once about flying back up to Chicago, and the lady burst out "well whatever you do - DO NOT fly out of the Memphis airport. That whole airport is run by the blacks!!!!". She would ask a ton of questions just getting into people's heads about their lives, and it was very interesting. People were talking about gays, and she said "well what if a gay person worked here - would that be ok?". People were just so confused at the question, like it just wouldn't happen there.

They were suppose to fly a group to Chicago for training, and my friend was really excited to show them around. None of the people had been to Chicago before, and only one had been "up north". The trip ended up being cancelled, and my friend was amazed how everyone was EXTREMELY relieved that they didn't have to go to Chicago. They confessed that they were terrified about being in the city up there.

Not trying to bash at all, or imply that all areas are like this. It was a small town of 30,000 people that was almost entirely white, blue collar, centered around hunting and fishing, and tucked away hours from anything. Very beautiful area though. The people seemed happy, just very insular.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 03-24-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Kansas City. Having grown up in a Spivy League, Prep culture in Connecticut I can honestly say that two regions could not be more culturally dissimilar. Summertime in KC is way too hot and humid for my taste. Hedonism is the dominant attribute of the culture in KC with people thinking about partying first and enjoying themselves. In New England making money and being a home body is a dominant trait once you get married or get out of your 20's. I have almost nothing in common with these people. Women in KC are more aggressive and shallow than most I've met in New England.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,927 times
A summer trip to Boston, MA from Norfolk, VA

I was amazed at how everyone actually walked where they wanted to go. It sounds silly, but Im from Tidewater where you basicly need a car to get around, but people were actually walking in Boston. Everyone just strolled along taking there time. Ive been to NYC plenty of times, so I've had the city experience, but something was just different about walking in Boston. It was more casual and relaxing. No matter if it was a weekday, weekend, rain, or shine.

Another thing was my accent. I found myself repeating things a lot. I know that I am a little country/southern, but I didnt think it was that bad. It was funny though.

The Food was another shocker. I didnt enjoy the food at all. It was so BLAND. No matter where we ate. Also there was no Brewed SWEET TEA!!!! Anywhere!!! Only the artificial fruit flavored kind that doesnt taste a thing like tea.

It was just so different but it was worth the experience.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
I had fun once, taking my good friend back to Iowa City with me for the weekend. He's gay, Cuban, worked as a bartender his entire life, grew up in Miami during the 70's, and lived in NYC since the 1990's.

To him Philly was some random backwater, and the Midwest was this mythical place where it's always cold and people are white. Chicago was a shock enough to him when he moved here 2 years ago to get a fresh perspective on life, but he actually really loved Iowa City. He was very surprised that it was actually a city, and not some dusty town. That there were people who dressed "normally", large modern buildings, freeways, nice indoor malls, very open minded liberal people, the fact we drove past a legal gay marriage at a church, etc. I think he expected farm town with overalls. We had a blast, and it was very relaxing.

One thing he said time and time again was how much Midwesterners drink, like to party, and like to party HARD. Especially coming from being a bartender in Manhattan, where people obviously like to drink, but it's not as much the "lets all go out on Wednesday and drink until we wake up naked on the living floor".

Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,887,513 times
Moving to Arizona was so different for me.
The people here are not as friendly, it's hot as heck, and it's so damn dry here!

I moved to Arizona in 2001, after I got out of the Army. I'm originally from southeast Texas. When I came here I liked it at first, but when I came in contact with some folks, I'd smile and say, "Hi, how are you?" to everyone and some looked at me like I was crazy. I told myself, "Man! We aren't in Texas anymore, Toto!" It's such a different type of culture than Texas. I've been here now for almost 9 years (October will be 9 years in Arizona for me) and I still can't get used to it and the people either.

I still miss Texas. Because back home, where I lived, most people are really nice, smile at you, and greet you when you come in or something. Not here much, but certain places yes, I must agree there are some nice folks here too. But it's so different though!!

On occasion my skin breaks out on my arms because of the dryness here. Man, do I miss the humidity!! At least in the humidity my skin never broke out and I had silky, smooth skin always, and never had to use lotion (like I do here now every time I get out of the shower or from swimming). That sucks!

But I'm moving to Florida next year and I've been there 5 times already. It's more of my speed and has a little bit of home feeling to it for me. So, I can't wait. Southeast U.S.A., here I come!!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Kansas City. Having grown up in a Spivy League, Prep culture in Connecticut I can honestly say that two regions could not be more culturally dissimilar. Summertime in KC is way too hot and humid for my taste. Hedonism is the dominant attribute of the culture in KC with people thinking about partying first and enjoying themselves. In New England making money and being a home body is a dominant trait once you get married or get out of your 20's. I have almost nothing in common with these people. Women in KC are more aggressive and shallow than most I've met in New England.
What is "Spivy League"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.