Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times

Advertisements

I am getting the feeling that people are thinking of this as a culture map when it seems the idea is to divide it by geographic and not demographic reasons. The geographic criteria would be based on topography, climate, land use, geology, and other physical boundaries.

Some ideas in the South would be to have boundaries based on physical features. The most prominent is the piedmont/coastal plain line and the boundary between ridge and valley and piedmont. Another boundary is the Mississippi ebayment which is where coastal plain feature shoot much further inland to around the area of the Mississippi and Ohio River fork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM

44 posts, read 64,178 times
How did you make this map?
GIS?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 PM

44 posts, read 64,178 times
23 and 24 are off.

1) First...New York is in the Northeast...but DC and Bawlmer are NOT.
I have lived in both and can tell that DC and Bawlmer are not northeast in culture...they are more redneck (outside the urban core), and considering the accents and other factors, anything south of metro Philly is the MID-Atlantic.

2) As for New York...you do not give New York enough of CT. Having lived in CT, I can tell you the only part of CT which really has that New England feel is eastern CT.
-First the NY metro area extends all the way past New Heaven..so basically NY goes further E and N.
-Then the fact is, you have New Haven/Hartford and Boston all in the same classification. Wrong. New Haven is not close to Boston culturally...it doesn't have that New England feel, people do not drop their r's.
Eastern CT...E of metro Hartford I can see...but overall your classification of 23 and 24 are inaccurate sterotypes.

It really is a pet peeve when people place NY with DC and Bawlmer...and then place New Haven with Boston...that shows a lack of context.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Like the map but don't understand why Florida is divided into 3 regions.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Some ideas in the South would be to have boundaries based on physical features. The most prominent is the piedmont/coastal plain line and the boundary between ridge and valley and piedmont.
This is why the designations in the South are incorrect. The Piedmont and Coastal Plain are not taken into account at all. Rather there are arbitrary lines that slice the South in a graphic way that conveniently aligns with other boundaries of other designated regions. It's a pretty map but not very reflective of the true regions in the South. I imagine California can make a similar argument based on the the fact that the Coastal Ranges, Central Valley, deserts and Sierra Nevada range are not factors in the designations.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_(United_States)

Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
This is a psychographic map, not a geographic or demographic map.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogger View Post
23 and 24 are off.

1) First...New York is in the Northeast...but DC and Bawlmer are NOT.
I have lived in both and can tell that DC and Bawlmer are not northeast in culture...they are more redneck (outside the urban core), and considering the accents and other factors, anything south of metro Philly is the MID-Atlantic.

2) As for New York...you do not give New York enough of CT. Having lived in CT, I can tell you the only part of CT which really has that New England feel is eastern CT.
-First the NY metro area extends all the way past New Heaven..so basically NY goes further E and N.
-Then the fact is, you have New Haven/Hartford and Boston all in the same classification. Wrong. New Haven is not close to Boston culturally...it doesn't have that New England feel, people do not drop their r's.
Eastern CT...E of metro Hartford I can see...but overall your classification of 23 and 24 are inaccurate sterotypes.

It really is a pet peeve when people place NY with DC and Bawlmer...and then place New Haven with Boston...that shows a lack of context.
how can you tell by that map that new haven is lumped in with boston? it looks to me like new haven is in red and lumped in with the nyc metro. looks like danbury is included too. east and further north in CT should be lumped in with the rest of new england. i don't know about you but hartford county does not have the nyc influence. there were more red sox and celtics games on tv than anything from the YES network.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This is a psychographic map, not a geographic or demographic map.
Still a no go for me. I think it's amusing that DC conveniently finds itself in in the same region as NYC while Atlanta is designated to be in the deep South. Is there some bias here?

Again...even based on the fact that this is a psychographic map, Atlanta belongs with the cities in the Piedmont, not the deep South. Based on the definition of the psychographic, the region still closely follows the geographic region.

1.(used with a sing. verb) The use of demographics to study and measure attitudes, values, lifestyles, and opinions, as for marketing purposes.
2.(used with a pl. verb) The data obtained from such study.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
I shuddered before I clicked on this thread, terrified of what I'd find.. honestly, not bad, though! I'd tweak a few teeny, tiny things, but I'm in agreement with you on surprisingly many.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM

54 posts, read 165,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Like the map but don't understand why Florida is divided into 3 regions.
Not sure if you've ever been to Fl or which parts, but the panhandle is about as different from Miami as it could possibly be. The panhandle, Lower Alabama as it's called, is largely rural and poor outside of the beach communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.