Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Here are some places in PA that are commonly mispronounced:

Lancaster - LANK-uh-stir (definitely not Lann-cast-ur)
Ephrata - EFF-ruh-tuh
Lebanon - LEB-nin
Carlisle - car-LIE-ull
Dauphin - DAW-fin
Shamokin - shuh-MOE-kin
Shenandoah - SHEN-dough or sometimes SHEN-uh-dough but not shen-un-dough-uh
You can blame John Denver for the last one, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You can blame John Denver for the last one, lol.
In Virginia it is Shen-an-doh-uh.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Illinois...you'd think it wouldn't be hard but:

1) The first syllable is pronounced "ill" and not "ell"
2) The 's' is silent...SILENT!!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 AM

50 posts, read 134,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Illinois...you'd think it wouldn't be hard but:

1) The first syllable is pronounced "ill" and not "ell"
2) The 's' is silent...SILENT!!
I work in driver recruiting for a trucking company...and i hear co-workers all day long saying it with the S--drives me insane!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 AM

269 posts, read 911,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
When there is no "H" anywhere in the name! This one has always challenged me. The common pronounciation is probably the best example of how a literary word can be so transformed. Someone please explain!
In Boston and parts of the surrounding area they can't pronounce Rs correctly they say H instead. Car becomes Caah, Worcester becomes Wooh-ster. Outside of the greater Boston area the Worcester pronunciation stayed with no R but mostly everything else is goes back to having Rs.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
In Boston and parts of the surrounding area they can't pronounce Rs correctly they say H instead. Car becomes Caah, Worcester becomes Wooh-ster. Outside of the greater Boston area the Worcester pronunciation stayed with no R but mostly everything else is goes back to having Rs.

As a linguist, I can't begin to tell you how many things are wrong with this explanation.

1) People in Boston (and most of eastern New England) are not incapable of "pronouncing Rs correctly." The /r/ is articulated the same as any other English speaker when it precedes a vowel, as in 'rat' or 'track', for example.

2) The /r/ is NOT pronounced as [h]. People approximate the pronounciation as "cah" to indicate the long [a] vowel, not because there's actually an [h] sound there.

3) The reason why /r/ is not articulated in words like "car" is because it is the result of a systematic, rule-governed process that deletes [r] in positions where it does not precede a vowel. This process is active in many English dialects across the world, including most in England, Australia, and New Zealand. These are called non-rhotic dialects.

4) The origins of the pronunciation of "Worcester" have nothing to do with the non-rhotic dialect of eastern New England. It is pronounced the way it is because that's how the (original) city of Worcester in England is pronounced.

Also consider towns like Gloucester (GLAWSS-ter) and Leicester (LESS-ter), whose pronunciations were also imported from England to Massachusetts. These names have no /r/ in the middle of them, further discrediting your theory.

As for why Worcester and these other English town names evolved to their current pronunciations -- I'm not sure. But language inevitably changes over time, and town names in England have had hundreds (if not thousands) of years to evolve. There are a plethora of other examples. Consider, for example, the section of London named Marleybone, which is roughly pronounced MARR-uh-bun.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM

55 posts, read 76,604 times
Houston County Georgia pronounced ˈhaʊstən not ˈhjustən like Houston TX.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM

181 posts, read 323,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
here's one in Sedona: Tlaquepaque

I think it was on CD where it was brought up as a place to see. I asked "How in the HELL do you pronounce that?" and, IIRC, not many could agree!

I settled on "TUH-LACK-UH-PACK-EE"
It's actually TUH-LOCK-UH-POCK-EE

Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Las Vegas, is a Spanish name, in Spanish: Lahs Bay-gahs. V's become B's in Spanish. Nevada: Nay-bahd-ah.

San Diego: Sahn Dyay-goh. Not San Dee-eh-go. Two syllables, not one.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
in KY

versailles= ver- SAILS

lebanon - LEB uh nin

danville - DAN vull

louisville - LOU uh vull

yosemite - YO suh mite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.