Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 09:30 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times

Advertisements

The community of Firstview, Colorado, was named that because it was where early travelers got their first glimpse of Pikes Peak, 135 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 11:19 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
The community of Firstview, Colorado, was named that because it was where early travelers got their first glimpse of Pikes Peak, 135 miles away.
There you go. That can be verified easily with Google Street View, if you have a good monitor. Go to the coordinates link on the Wikipedia page for Firstview Colorado. Select: Google Maps - Street View. The view will be to the north, so turn it to the west straight down the highway. Then go to maximum zoom and you should be able to see a faint blue line just above the horizon. That's the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains 135 miles away. But I'm sure that's not the farthest they can be seen. My understanding is that the Rockies can be seen from many high elevation points in extreme Western Kansas.

Quote:
Firstview, Colorado

Firstview is an unincorporated community in Cheyenne County, Colorado. It is on U.S. Highway 40; the nearest city is Cheyenne Wells. The geographic coordinates of Firstview are roughly the antipodes of the coordinates of ÃŽle Saint-Paul, a French island in the Indian Ocean. This island is one of only three land areas with antipodes in the contiguous United States.

The town was laid out in 1911. It was named for the spot where travelers got their first glimpse of Pikes Peak, 135 miles (217 km) to the west.
Firstview, Colorado - Wikipedia

Old 08-01-2022, 05:20 AM

853 posts, read 693,687 times
I've seen Denali from the Anchorage airport.

Mount Washington is visible from many of the higher peaks of the Vermont Green Mountains.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
From our house we can see Mt. Baker, WA, about 150 miles away during the winter when the trees have no leaves. Drive about a block and we can see Mt. Rainier, about 75 miles away. From my office at work in Seattle I can see the Olympic Mountains, about 140 miles away. Now I have to disclose that in our climate, no mountains are visible from anywhere much of the year, with the rain and clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.