Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,615 times

Advertisements

The main building on the university of Arkansas campus sits high upon a hill, so its clearly visible from maybe 10 miles or more away from some places. We don't have much of a skyline, though.

From Mount Sequoyah:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 AM

53 posts, read 136,057 times
This is the east view from Sugarloaf Mountain in Maryland, south of Frederick. Does anyone know what skyline is in the distance?

Sugarloaf Mountain East View by jmd41280, on Flickr

Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
^

The two dark buildings nearest the foreground are at Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg.
http://www.washingtoniancenter.com/s...jpg?1368725079

To the left on the horizon, I recognize the white box in downtown Rockville.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ockvillemd.jpg

To the right way off in the distance, it's hard to tell but I'd guess that's Tysons Corner. Angle and distance seem right.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg022587 View Post
It would seem unlikely, but if people say they've seen it, hey who am I to tell them they were wrong? Kingda Ka is pretty high.

I live about 22 miles from NYC (as the crow flies) and from the enormous, Driscoll Bridge (http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_im...7186-large.jpg) by my house, One World Trade Center, the Empire State Building, and a few of the surrounding larger buildings are visible most days, unless the weather is bad. If it's a clear day or night, there are some spots in town you can see NYC from flat land.

On that note, I'm about 55-60 miles from Philly and have never seen any of the skyline from anywhere around my area. It seems possible that from Jackson (where Six Flags is, about 45 miles from both cities) on a super clear day, a faint skyline of either city would be visible.
Jackson is about 44 miles from each (believe you are correct)

I know you can clearly see the Philly skyline from Ewing township NJ (in Mercer County) about 35 miles on 95 at ground level (though this area is a little elevated)

Also clearly from the PA TP to NJ TP connector I mean clear as day which is about the elevation of Kindakon I believe (though probably half the distance but can see all of the skyline clearly (and Trenton too). Als you can see the the Philly skyline from the NJ to DE turnpike connector bridge south of Wilmington, though again believe that is shorter than Jackson

FWIW there was an article that claimed from the lobby lounge that will 1,000 atop the new CTIC center in CC Philly will provide a view that includes the AC skyline 57 miles away

lastly I have heard that tat from the building right at the New Brunswick exit of the NJTP - from the top floors both NYC and Philly are visible (opposite sides of the building obviously) but not able to confirm

Its 52 miles from CC Philly and only 28 from the tip of Manhattan (assume NYC easy as a little further N on the NJTP you can see the skyline from ground level)

Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
^

The two dark buildings nearest the foreground are at Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg.
http://www.washingtoniancenter.com/s...jpg?1368725079

To the left on the horizon, I recognize the white box in downtown Rockville.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ockvillemd.jpg

To the right way off in the distance, it's hard to tell but I'd guess that's Tysons Corner. Angle and distance seem right.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking (when I was there) that Gaithersburg/Rockville may have been in the distance but I wasn't sure.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,391 times
Here's Seattle's skyline from Manchester, WA across Puget Sound:
Attached Thumbnails
From how far away can you see your skyline??-sea_man.jpeg  

Old 05-28-2014, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 21,000 times
The following places are visible from the Blue Mountain in West Penn Township, PA (Southeastern Schuylkill County) on a clear day:

Philadelphia ~ 90 Miles
Wilmington DE ~ 110 Miles
Allentown ~ 20 Miles
Bethlehem ~ 20 Miles
Easton ~ 25 Miles
Limerick Nuclear Plant ~ 60 Miles
Reading ~ 30 Miles

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUtcd33 View Post
The following places are visible from the Blue Mountain in West Penn Township, PA (Southeastern Schuylkill County) on a clear day:

Philadelphia ~ 90 Miles
Allentown ~ 20 Miles
Bethlehem ~ 20 Miles
Easton ~ 25 Miles
Reading ~ 30 Miles
no NYC? would think it would be also if the others are - probably as close as Philly to there I would think

And the Limerick Towers - they are nearly 500 ft (believe some of the taller cooling towers in the country) also at an elevation of like 400 feet or so

Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
FWIW there was an article that claimed from the lobby lounge that will 1,000 atop the new CTIC center in CC Philly will provide a view that includes the AC skyline 57 miles away
That should be interesting to see if that's true when the CTIC is completed.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUtcd33 View Post

Philadelphia ~ 90 Miles
Allentown ~ 20 Miles
Bethlehem ~ 20 Miles
Easton ~ 25 Miles
Reading ~ 30 Miles
Nice! Do you have any photos from that spot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.