Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 08:29 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times

Advertisements

As someone who has been geeking out about this stuff since I was a kid, I sometimes forget how little others pay attention to it. A couple of weeks ago, my fiancee and I were driving over the Delaware Memorial Bridge (North) and I pointed out the Philadelphia skyline in the distance. She initially didn't believe that it was Philly (thought it was smoke stacks in the distance). Her logic was that we were crossing a bridge between Delaware and New Jersey, so why would we be looking at Pennsylvania? I laughed, but if you're not a geography or skyline geek, the logic checks out. Thankfully, she figured it out pretty quickly on Google Maps. But as someone who has geeked out over skylines for a long time, the confusion didn't even register to me initially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 09:06 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
As someone who has been geeking out about this stuff since I was a kid, I sometimes forget how little others pay attention to it. A couple of weeks ago, my fiancee and I were driving over the Delaware Memorial Bridge (North) and I pointed out the Philadelphia skyline in the distance. She initially didn't believe that it was Philly (thought it was smoke stacks in the distance). Her logic was that we were crossing a bridge between Delaware and New Jersey, so why would we be looking at Pennsylvania? I laughed, but if you're not a geography or skyline geek, the logic checks out. Thankfully, she figured it out pretty quickly on Google Maps. But as someone who has geeked out over skylines for a long time, the confusion didn't even register to me initially.
Its so funny everytime I come out of the Wegmans in Cherry Hill NJ, the Philadelphia skyline hits you like bam. Im like whao lol

Old 01-31-2023, 03:26 PM

372 posts, read 449,707 times
You can see New Orleans from crossing Lake Pontchartrain Twin Span bridge on I-10 West from about 25 miles from downtown. You can see it from Bonne Carre Spillway on I-10 East which is almost the same distance. I know you can see it from the Pontchartrain Causeway coming from Mandeville/Covington. But not sure at what distance you can start to see it. Maybe a little further since your view is completely unobstructed over the open water. Can't remember the last time I crossed the causeway.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
You can see New Orleans from crossing Lake Pontchartrain Twin Span bridge on I-10 West from about 25 miles from downtown. You can see it from Bonne Carre Spillway on I-10 East which is almost the same distance. I know you can see it from the Pontchartrain Causeway coming from Mandeville/Covington. But not sure at what distance you can start to see it. Maybe a little further since your view is completely unobstructed over the open water. Can't remember the last time I crossed the causeway.
I spotted the skyline years ago from Sunset Point park in Mandeville near the foot of the causeway. It was very hazy that day but I was able to make it out. Distance to downtown NOLA was approx. 28 miles from that spot.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 974 times
Austin's current tallest, the Sixth and Guadalupe tower, recently topped out at 874'. I am already spotting it from vantage points where downtown Austin was not previously visible. I will be exploring the area in coming months to find more of those spots.

This pic was taken from approx 22 miles NW of downtown Austin from atop a small ridge north of Lake Travis and Lago Vista. The Sixth and Guadalupe tower had not yet topped out.

To the right of Sixth x Guad is the Austonian (683') and the Independent (690')

Old 04-07-2023, 07:36 PM

325 posts, read 203,854 times
^^ I've seen some posts on SSP that you can see 6x Guad from somewhere in WilCo now too.

This is San Antonio 17 ish miles out a few months ago (shot on an old miniDV camera lol)

You probably can see DTSA from some of the hilltop houses in the Dominion/Cielo Vista which are about 22 miles out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.