Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 AM

229 posts, read 1,180,719 times

Advertisements

Rebel Flag, sign of southern proud or sign of racism?

It seems I get different responses based upon which part of the country the person is from.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Its both a sign of pride and racism. This topic has been done to death. All youre gonna do is attract all the Betty-Lou's and Bobby-Joe's who say its "heritage and not hatred", like we've heard a million bajillion times, but people like me wont believe it.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times
I grew up in the South, arguably the most sectionalist part of the country, and for many it seemed to be a thing of regional pride. To me, it seemed a thing that had too many negative/hurtful connotations that I didn't want anything to do with it. The only time I saw people waving those flags around was at a local high school. Some kids paraded around outside the school with the flags. They didn't do it because they had southern pride. They did it because they knew it would cause controversy, a scene, and it did.

While for many people the rebel battle flag may conjure up regional pride, I think it has been used/bastardized by so many groups to frighten/intimidate people that there are many people throughout the country who now have different connotations when they see it. I think most people in the U.S. are aware of its divisiveness as a result. I think a good compromise is something like what Georgia did with its state flag. I'm not one to have "regional pride," but if someone really feels a need to express regional pride or identity, an alternative Confederate flag (one that does not have all the controversial baggage of the battle flag) is more appropriate, IMO.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,587,191 times
I think people who show off rebel flags do it in defiance and has nothing to do with genuine pride. They are starving for attention.

I always associate the confederate flag with bigotry and racism and ignorant people fighting for the right of wealthy Southern plantation owners to keep their slaves and to spread slavery out west.

I still don't see why theres anything to be proud about. Its not like the Southern cause was all that noble.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
The KKK also adopted the cross and most people don't see that as racist.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its both a sign of pride and racism. This topic has been done to death. All youre gonna do is attract all the Betty-Lou's and Bobby-Joe's who say its "heritage and not hatred", like we've heard a million bajillion times, but people like me wont believe it.

I detect a little anti-Southern bias in your use of Betty-Lou and Bobby-Joe..

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,639 times
I used to like the CSA Battle Flag...but it really is associated with country hicks (and I have several Confederate soldiers and one Senator in my family line). I won't associate myself with it, and I definitely identify as a Southerner.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
For once we agree on this topic. Which is that it has been done to death. Otherwise, you haven't changed much in your anti-Southern bias. But that's ok, as I had to laugh heartily over your "people like me won't believe it" remark. Given the prefacing saracasm over names associated with the South, I take it to mean that "people like you" are those cut from some variety of superior cloth...Hmmmm?

But anyway, for the OP, I don't know how to post links to past threads, but a good one (if you or anyone else has time to read it) is "The Confederate Flag -- How Do You Feel About It". It is on the "Politics and Other Controversies" board, and was started 8-25-2007 if anyone feels like backtracking and reading just about all that could be said on the subject. In fact, it is now closed so it can't be restarted again. And yeah, Steve-O and I both contributed quite a bit, and had a few one-on-one exchanges in fact.

Finally, unless something really new comes up on the topic, I will likely just sit this one out as I have said/replied/responded/asserted just about all I can on the thread mentioned above. For the record though, it is probably obvious from my screen moniker where I stand on the issue!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I detect a little anti-Southern bias in your use of Betty-Lou and Bobby-Joe..
Well, more like anti-Confederate bias, but I can see what youre saying. I shouldnt have used names as it does sound kinda anti-southern I suppose, which Im not. Im heavily anti-Confederate though.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
For once we agree on this topic. Which is that it has been done to death. Otherwise, you haven't changed much in your anti-Southern bias. But that's ok, as I had to laugh heartily over your "people like me won't believe it" remark. Given the prefacing saracasm over names associated with the South, I take it to mean that "people like you" are those cut from some variety of superior cloth...Hmmmm?
Read my response above.

As for the "superior cloth" comment? More like "superior army", get it right! lol . I know you and I sharply disagree over that flag and the Confederacy it stood for, so we'll leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.