Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,080 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a 21 year old guy, and I am graduating next month from the University of Michigan with a degree in Biology and Physics. As great of a place Ann Arbor is for college, I want a change so I'm planning on moving out of Michigan in August once I'm back from traveling Europe and my apartment lease ends. My parents moved back to Israel last year, and as much as I love Israel, I want to stay in the US for now so moving in with my parents is not an option. Just some background info, I was born in Tel Aviv, Israel (I am a US citizen though), but I grew up in the suburbs of Baltimore and spent my teen years in Los Angeles. I'm not planning on going to grad school until I figure out exactly what I want to do, so I'm pretty much open to moving anywhere. I have some money saved up, and my parents are willing to help me out financially until I find a job.

Here is what I'm looking for:
- A city with a metropolitan area of at least around 2 million.
- Liberal, or at the very least liberal-leaning.
- Pro sports or major college sports
- Nightlife
- Some cool, vibrant, walkable neighborhoods with decent public transportation
- Good restaurant scene
- Lots of young, physically and socially active people around my age
- Good job outlook (good for this economy anyways)

Weather is not really an issue for me. Some cities that I am interested in are Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, Seattle, Austin, Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Philly, but I honestly don't know much about these cities outside from visiting them as a tourist, and I'm open to other cities as well.

What cities would you recommend, and why? Any insight will be very much appreciated!

Last edited by soccerplayer87; 04-19-2010 at 02:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:10 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,116,454 times
Pittsburgh has much of what you are looking for and will be more affordable than the cities you listed. Since you are just getting started in life that might be a good option to consider.

While Pittsburgh is not a really left leaning metro area you will find plenty of neighborhoods within the city that are socially and politically left leaning. The 20 something crowd is rediscovering the city and starting to move in and this has resulted in a more vibrant night life in many areas of the city.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,857,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerplayer87 View Post
Here is what I'm looking for:
- A city with a metropolitan area of at least around 2 million.
- Liberal, or at the very least liberal-leaning.
- Pro sports or major college sports
- Nightlife
- Some cool, vibrant, walkable neighborhoods with decent public transportation
- Good restaurant scene
- Lots of young, physically and socially active people around my age
- Good job outlook (good for this economy anyways)

Weather is not really an issue for me. Some cities that I am interested in are Boston, NYC, Chicago, SF, Seattle, Austin, Atlanta, Miami, DC, and Philly, but I honestly don't know much about these cities outside from visiting them as a tourist, and I'm open to other cities as well.
You might add Denver to your list.
Also, Austin has no real public transit and I was really unimpressed with the restaurant scene there.
I don't know if Miami has public transit either, and considering FL's economy I'd be hesitant on that one.
I'm not quite as familiar with Atlanta and Philly.
The others all sound like good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Pittsburgh has much of what you are looking for and will be more affordable than the cities you listed.
Good point, that's another to consider on the list.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,116,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
You might add Denver to your list.
Also, Austin has no real public transit and I was really unimpressed with the restaurant scene there.
I don't know if Miami has public transit either, and considering FL's economy I'd be hesitant on that one.
I'm not quite as familiar with Atlanta and Philly.
The others all sound like good choices.

Good point, that's another to consider on the list.
Denver is also a good choice. Half the population of the Front Range has moved to the area from other states and countries. You won't feel like an outsider in Denver. Housing is more expensive than Pittsburgh but rentals are reasonably priced. And the Denver area is a great place to meet singles.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM

201 posts, read 823,814 times
Sounds like Seattle would be a good fit- very liberal leaning, tons of bars, restaurants and nightlife, pro and college sports, lots of young folks- I am not sure what the job market is doing there.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,468,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Pittsburgh has much of what you are looking for and will be more affordable than the cities you listed. Since you are just getting started in life that might be a good option to consider.

While Pittsburgh is not a really left leaning metro area you will find plenty of neighborhoods within the city that are socially and politically left leaning. The 20 something crowd is rediscovering the city and starting to move in and this has resulted in a more vibrant night life in many areas of the city.
I've read some really good things about Pittsburgh.
Sounds like a great place for people just out of college.

There are jobs, many people your age in the same situation, and it's affordable.

The people I've met from there are all down to earth, good people.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 12-19-2016 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-19-2016, 02:55 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,899,453 times
Sigh. Advice from people who don't live in Pittsburgh and only have read about it. Average economy but you have a biology degree so you may be able to work at one of the hospitals. It costs a lot to live in one of the good and popular neighborhoods. Because Pittsburgh has been Trendy for the last few years, our housing costs have spiked. The public transportation is only average, you really need a car to live here. We have one light rail line that runs from the North Shore to the South Hills, you will have to rely on buses or a car for the rest of the city and county. I've lived throughout the country and consider this to be the worst food city in the US. You will like that there are a lot of college kids because of the universities and the city core is liberal. Nightlife is only average, though there is a street of bars on the Southside and the popular neighborhoods have their bars. If you love Pittsburgh sports teams, then you will love it here. If you are a fan of any other team, then life will be difficult.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:56 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,235,737 times
2nd Pittburgh, Also DC it's not affordable but it's unique and very hip and progressive and ultra diverse.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:19 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,712,874 times
Minneapolis.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:01 PM

23,503 posts, read 44,177,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
Sounds like Seattle would be a good fit- very liberal leaning, tons of bars, restaurants and nightlife, pro and college sports, lots of young folks- I am not sure what the job market is doing there.
Definitely a 'go-to' city for Millennials. My daughter moved there a few years ago and loved it. She relocated to California for a job opportunity but is jonesing to get back there someday. You do have to contend with the problems endemic to a rapidly growing city, however: bad traffic, rapidly escalating rents and house prices, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.