Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I know it's been brought up and they have voted against statehood several times, but the news is now talking about the first time the vote is sanctioned by congress, etc..

Regardless, anyone think it's a good or bad idea? I personally feel it's a good idea, they already use our currency, they are US citizens, but they don't have the representation (then again they don't have the federal income taxes either so...)

It would be interesting.... it would also push San Juan to the #1 Historical US city, or most European (in most discussions people say Boston)

Just curious what others think... reasons for or against, etc...
It's not for me to be for it or against it, I don't live there, so I could hardly care less, for me the 50 states are whats important lol.

It's a commonwealth, and I think they like not being a state. And they don't seem to have that "push" to become a state of the US. So why bother trying?

They're the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and they're happy with that. But have been striving for independence. Which once again, I could care less about. lol. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Puerto Rico is already part of the United States with American citizens. If Puerto Rico wanted to become a state, it would be in the best interest for Americans (in Puerto Rico) for it to do so. To say that only the interest of the continental states should be evaluated is very one-sided.
Here we go.

The American citizenship debate is irrelevant here.

Yes, this argument should be evaluated to primarily benefit real Americans.

Yes, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, and Indiana will always be seen as more American than Puerto Rico.

Want to help further destroy this country? Grant statehood to a poor population that speaks a foreign language.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
The governor and delegate from PR are Republicans. It would not be an automatic blue state.
A lot of Blue states like California have Republican governors, and formally Massachusetts with Mitt Romney. But they were still blue states. Governors and delegates don't represent the area as well as the voters for that area do.
I'm sure the locals of Puerto Rico are "Blue" voters though. If voters in Puerto Rico are not a majority of democrats, then I will officially change my name.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
NO no no, they have already become enough Americanized. I was there a couple summers ago, and some parts felt like south Florida. I'm sure about 10 years ago they didn't have the chains they did. Luckily it hasn't gotten too bad yet. But, if they become another state, it won't be any different than south Florida.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
A lot of Blue states like California have Republican governors, and formally Massachusetts with Mitt Romney. But they were still blue states. Governors and delegates don't represent the area as well as the voters for that area do.
I'm sure the locals of Puerto Rico are "Blue" voters though. If voters in Puerto Rico are not a majority of democrats, then I will officially change my name.
The PR Senate is 70% New Progressive. That is the Conservative party in PR.

Quote:
The majority of the PNP leaders are also members of the US Republican Party, with only two PNP governors, Carlos Romero Barceló, and Dr. Pedro Rosselló González, being registered as US Democrats. The current Governor, Luis G. Fortuño, caucused with the Republicans when he was in Congress and serves as Puerto Rico's Republican National Committeeman. The current House Speaker Jennifer González and the Senate President Thomas Rivera Schatz are Republicans.

The party's platform is decidedly conservative and it holds intrinsic values of this deeply religious Caribbean island.
They have a 72% majority in the PR House. And a majority of Mayoral seats are held by them.

You gotta change you're name dude.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I'm not sure this is the best time for the USA to take on another state. We have a ton of problems. I have no idea if America will be able to pull out of its mess. I thought that Puerto Rico wanted no part of statehood, so I also wonder what has changed to bring this up again.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm not sure this is the best time for the USA to take on another state. We have a ton of problems. I have no idea if America will be able to pull out of its mess. I thought that Puerto Rico wanted no part of statehood, so I also wonder what has changed to bring this up again.
It wasn't Puerto Rico's choice to bring it up. It was a fluke of this Congressional session basically...

Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
It won't happen. PR currently gets almost all the benefits of statehood without having to pay all the taxes. They are not stupid and will always vote against statehood.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 AM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times
I think Puerto Rico should be allowed to become a state, but only after certain conditions are met, somewhat similar to the ascension of new countries to the E.U.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM

19 posts, read 54,026 times
NO THANK YOU.

50 is enough, + Puerto Rico is spanish speaking. It's also poor!
It doesn't even deserve being our territory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.