Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
Maryland is not southern. DC definitely is not southern. West Virginia, i dont know about them. Even though the sons of confederate veterans has a chapter located in la plata, MD. Why would the sons of confederate veterans have a chapter in a non-southern state? Maryland history definitely is southern, they have plantations and antebellum homes up there. Why should people from the deep south be the judges of what is southern and what is not? But who cares...

I'm from Northern VA and don't consider myself a southerner in anyway.

Upper South = Virginia, *Maryland, DC, Delaware*, West VA, Kentucky, Missouri

Mid-South = Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas

Deep South - South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, Florida, eastern texas - the rest of TX is southwestern to me. Don't know where to put Oklahoma though lol..

I guess all these states are considered the south?
>>>>>
Don't know where to put Oklahoma though lol
<<<<<

Let the map you cite be your guide = Oklahoma is grouped in with other Southern states for a reason, both historically and culturally.

Unlike some other border Southern states (such as Virginia, West Virginia, Missouri [obviously the least Southern] that are more split culturally) Oklahoma is overtly culturally Southern throughout the vast majority of the whole state. Moreover, along with Texas, Oklahoma is the western most boundary of the South. It is the western "bookend" of the South as lower Virginia/the Carolinas are the eastern most boundary of the South.

Certainly, Oklahoma is not totally like the Southeast = the Deep South (MS, Bammer, Georgia, South Carolina). Yet, as with all states that are truly Southern (and I've been to Delaware/Maryland = not Southern culturally at all) there are common traits that run through all Southern states = dialect, religious zeal, food choices, the prominence of college football, hobbies, etc. At its core, Oklahoma is essentially Southern with smaller slices of Western and Southwestern semblances mixed in.

The original poster did not include the subregions (West South Central, East South Central, for instance) of the South to truly do justice to properly designating the micro-regions within the South at large.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-30-2010 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,353 times
I don't agree with classifying NC as "Mid-South". I consider it "South Atlantic" and "Piedmont South" and parts of the Appalachian/Upland South.

Georgia is where South Atlantic and Piedmont South meet.

Texas and Oklahoma are Western South. Arkansas is where Mid-South, Western South and Deep South meet.

I do agree that Maryland is not the true south, except for the Eastern Shore and parts of Southern Maryland. The rest of the state feels like an extension of New Jersey to me.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore could pass off as Southern. Western Maryland towards Hagerstown and points west could pass off as Pennsylvania. Majority of Maryland is Mid-Atlantic and sometimes Northern in feel.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM

37 posts, read 145,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
ive actually mapped this out here

Being from Marietta Ohio, I would say this area from Parkersburg, WV and Huntgtion,WV has nothing in common with rural lower North. Culturally speaking and land wise would consider alot more southern/ appalachia culture then the North as most people that I know consider themselves that way.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:45 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
Being from Marietta Ohio, I would say this area from Parkersburg, WV and Huntgtion,WV has nothing in common with rural lower North. Culturally speaking and land wise would consider alot more southern/ appalachia culture then the North as most people that I know consider themselves that way.
On the other hand, the same can be said for much of rural western Pennsylvania.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times
Eastern shore of Maryland (Salisbury etc) and much of the Chesapeake region are southern. I also don't think Baltimore has the same vibe as NY, or Boston, thats for sure. West of Baltimore is really northern, it's like PA. Anywhere you go in MD there will always be people with straight up southern accents and sometimes there are those who sound like they came outta Philly or Jersey. I didn't know I had one until New Englanders and Mid-westerners starting asking me what part of the south i'm from. Yes, there are the sons of the confederate veterans and such, and there are confederate flag wavers who exist (there are two farms about a mile from me right now that fly the Stars and Bars NOT the battle flag though!) but I've noticed they keep it inside their homes usually and don't have any racist connotations attached. What can I say MD is just in the middle and it's as simple as that.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

160 posts, read 183,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Don't know where to put Oklahoma though lol
<<<<<

Let the map you cite be your guide = Oklahoma is grouped in with other Southern states for a reason, both historically and culturally.

Unlike some other border Southern states (such as Virginia, West Virginia, Missouri [obviously the least Southern] that are more split culturally) Oklahoma is overtly culturally Southern throughout the vast majority of the whole state. Moreover, along with Texas, Oklahoma is the western most boundary of the South. It is the western "bookend" of the South as lower Virginia/the Carolinas are the eastern most boundary of the South.

Certainly, Oklahoma is not totally like the Southeast = the Deep South (MS, Bammer, Georgia, South Carolina). Yet, as with all states that are truly Southern (and I've been to Delaware/Maryland = not Southern culturally at all) there are common traits that run through all Southern states = dialect, religious zeal, food choices, the prominence of college football, hobbies, etc. At its core, Oklahoma is essentially Southern with smaller slices of Western and Southwestern semblances mixed in.

The original poster did not include the subregions (West South Central, East South Central, for instance) of the South to truly do justice to properly designating the micro-regions within the South at large.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for clearing that up about Oklahoma. Though I would have to disagree with you saying that there is not anything even remotely southern about Maryland. Southern Maryland is quite different from the DMV area. I have never have been to Delaware so can't speak for that state.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
I believe what you are calling 'Upper South' already has a term its called the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Upper South:
-Maryland
-Washington, D.C.
-West Virginia
-Delaware
-Northern Virginia

Deep South:
-Everywhere else

Sorry but its been a pet peeve of mine that DC and Maryland are considered the south because of an imaginary line that was drawn back before America was a country
Although, I'm sure we have very different views on the South, I can't agree more with the bolded statement. TexasReb said it best a while ago. "Nothing Southern about them, save the Census definition". No one sees these regions as Southern except the stubborn fools who say "The Census says it, it must be true no matter what".

My pet peeve is the people who say "Whether you like it or not, they're considered Southern." By who? An outdated government label? I'm pretty certain that most members of the federal government do not even consider Delaware "the South". Wake up.
The question that I aways wondered is why do most Southerners have soo much hate and discriminative views against Maryland??????

Old 05-02-2010, 05:36 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
The question that I aways wondered is why do most Southerners have soo much hate and discriminative views against Maryland??????
What are you talking about? Maryland isn't even on the radar for most people from states that are generally recognized as Southern (e.g., the deep South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.