Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That map is a nice broad brush look, but a lot of those states that went Democratic or Republican did so by by a small percentage, with individual counties going the opposite. Most of Michigan IS conservative overall, with the larger cities leaning more Liberal which takes the whole state to the Democratic side. The areas that did vote Liberal did so by small marguns
Exactly. This map is a better indication of how conservative the Midwest is.

File:2008prescountymap.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Looks like Wisconsin is the most liberal state in the Midwest. That doesn't surprise me, and that doesn't please me.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
How? I was just pointing out things that people don't typically think of when they think of "Middle America" or conservative. I'm not a conservative by any means. Did you read the whole post or are you jumping to your own assumptions about "typical midwestern"?
I read the whole post- you grouped a number of things that you described as the gritty, underbelly of living in the city and then contrasted them to the positive (your words) cultural aspects in the city. You grouped knowing gays in the former, with truckers picking up prostitutes and guys running around with guns.

I actually don't think you planned it that way as you wrote it, perhaps quickly thinking about the less typically conservative middle-American aspects of your experiences and unwittingly popped in knowing gays and illegal aliens along with only what most folks (not just me) would describe as the more negative aspects of living in the city. I just pointed it out, showing that perhaps one could misconstrue the message you were trying to convey into a more conservative bias than you actually have.

I didn't make any more sweeping generalizations than that. My father's family is from Nebraska and I've spent many years working on farms there- I wouldn't say that represents everything mid-west either.

Count to 10 and calm down.

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-05-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

YouTube - HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO

YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt

All kidding aside, I think it goes back to the whole "Americana" thing of agriculture, family, church and nature. Personally, I've always been curious to visit the midwest and south and see for myself what it's all about. Most of the people I've met from there have been cool beans and very friendly.
You do know those were made by a Cleveland comedian aka they are parodies.. LOL I used to find it funny when people actually thought they were serious. But, Middle America is just such a broad area, that most people view farms and stuff but barely anyone lives there. Most of the Midwests population is from large urban centers.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That map is a nice broad brush look, but a lot of those states that went Democratic or Republican did so by by a small percentage, with individual counties going the opposite. Most of Michigan IS conservative overall, with the larger cities leaning more Liberal which takes the whole state to the Democratic side. The areas that did vote Liberal did so by small margins
Most of the state might be conservative LAND WISE... but most of the populas is from the cities / suburbs. Take Ohio for instance.. 11 million people and 8 million of those people live in urban areas. Sure a large portion of the state is rural, but practically NO ONE lives there.. understand?

Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Most of the state might be conservative LAND WISE... but most of the populas is from the cities / suburbs. Take Ohio for instance.. 11 million people and 8 million of those people live in urban areas. Sure a large portion of the state is rural, but practically NO ONE lives there.. understand?
Yes, it's true that the majority of the state is conservative land-wise but the majority of the population lives in liberal areas. But that doesn't change the fact that if you're driving through the state, you're going to pass through a lot of conservative areas (even if very few people live there).

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Looks like Wisconsin is the most liberal state in the Midwest. That doesn't surprise me, and that doesn't please me.
ive always thought "middle america" was the lower midwest and the east south central and south central states.

it seems like there are definitely some commonalities between the rural inland south and the lower midwest, i always though those were the "middle america" quality.

is wisconsin really "middle america"? or is middle america just "midwest"

Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
^ I've always heard "middle america" as meaning the Midwest. Not just physically in the middle of america.

Honestly though, Middle America tends to represent anywhere in the USA that is centered more around family values, smaller towns and not huge urban areas. I think people saying that the Midwest is suppose to embody those traits more than their counterpart areas in the south, southeast, northeast or out west is just a stereotype.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
ive always thought "middle america" was the lower midwest and the east south central and south central states.

it seems like there are definitely some commonalities between the rural inland south and the lower midwest, i always though those were the "middle america" quality.

is wisconsin really "middle america"? or is middle america just "midwest"
I've always heard Middle America as Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, etc

Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Just a simple question to get some discussion going. What does the midwest have to offer that is wholly unique and special that can't be obtained on the west and east coast metropolitan areas? What do you consider special(terrain,people, dining scene,outdoors ect?)
I would say fields of wheat. This might sound dumb, but I've never been in the middle of the country where they grow all the grain, and I would like to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.