Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 AM

165 posts, read 657,047 times

Advertisements

our you happy with your move.and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 PM

15 posts, read 51,436 times
Default Anymore that moved from FL to GA

I'm thinking of relocating to GA from FL. I need some feedback from some of you that have made the move. Are you glad you moved? Why or why not? Help!!!! I'm not sure if it's the right moved to make

Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,008 times
make sure you have a degree, thats all

Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
nope.

depends mostly on where in florida you're coming from and where in georgia you're going to.

florida had beaches, warmer winters (if you're a native floridian, an "atlana winter" is cold), easier and more relaxing way of life in florida.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM

43 posts, read 219,055 times
I agree. I am a blue collar worker, and the pay scale here is horrible compared to the northeast.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,981 times
Thumbs down fla2ga2fl

I am unhappy with the job market and the pay scales, they want you to have a degree (which I do) and all this experience but, they do not want to pay you for what you are worth. They traffic is the worse I've ever seen it takes me 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get to work in the morning and sometimes 2 1/2 hours to get home depending on the traffic. We've been here for 6 months we have a 7 month lease. We were going to buy a home here thank god we did not. We are looking to purchase a home in Fort Lauderdale Florida that's where we are from originally we did sell our house to move here my husband is an Attorney and going back to his firm that he worked at before we moved here.

We did a lot of research and visited over a 5 year period and I read this forum a lot and we decided lets try it if we don't like it we can always go back home. I don't want to discourage others just because it didn't work for us doesn't mean it won't work for you. Good Luck with your move!! (I was called a yankee at work yesterday which is strange because I'm from Florida well, this South Florida Yankee is out of here)

Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
I did and I love it here! I lived in Ft. Lauderdale (Plantation to be exact) and moved two years ago.

I love the change of seasons and spring and fall are my favorite!! My first fall foliage was the most amazing experience!

I love being near the mountains, lakes, trees...nature! Where I live my yard is huge (compared to what I had) and it is full of mature trees. In about fifiteen minutes I can be at Red Top Mountain and the views are amazing.

People are so much friendlier here then Florida and my area is more family friendly.

I don't deal much with traffic because anyone that moves to Georgia knows you live near your work or you will have a drive. But guess what? Traffic in Ft. Lauderdale sucked too and I heard it has gotten worse.

I got a good deal on my home, my property taxes are cheap, my homeowners insurance is a joke...

I don't miss the beach that much and we have lakes and pools, etc. If you have to have a beach...just take a drive!

I don't know about pay...I am getting the same pay as my co-workers in South Florida and I know my standard of living is better.

So...I guess it depends who you ask

Old 06-28-2007, 05:29 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy2007 View Post
I am unhappy with the job market and the pay scales, they want you to have a degree (which I do) and all this experience but, they do not want to pay you for what you are worth. They traffic is the worse I've ever seen it takes me 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get to work in the morning and sometimes 2 1/2 hours to get home depending on the traffic. We've been here for 6 months we have a 7 month lease. We were going to buy a home here thank god we did not. We are looking to purchase a home in Fort Lauderdale Florida that's where we are from originally we did sell our house to move here my husband is an Attorney and going back to his firm that he worked at before we moved here.

We did a lot of research and visited over a 5 year period and I read this forum a lot and we decided lets try it if we don't like it we can always go back home. I don't want to discourage others just because it didn't work for us doesn't mean it won't work for you. Good Luck with your move!! (I was called a yankee at work yesterday which is strange because I'm from Florida well, this South Florida Yankee is out of here)
Good Luck sorry it didnt work out for you. I am hoping to have good results when I move from SWFL and I am a yankee..Im from NH originally...Ya know all the accents sound the same lmao...Take Care..Lisa

Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I did and I love it here! I lived in Ft. Lauderdale (Plantation to be exact) and moved two years ago.

I love the change of seasons and spring and fall are my favorite!! My first fall foliage was the most amazing experience!

I love being near the mountains, lakes, trees...nature! Where I live my yard is huge (compared to what I had) and it is full of mature trees. In about fifiteen minutes I can be at Red Top Mountain and the views are amazing.

People are so much friendlier here then Florida and my area is more family friendly.

I don't deal much with traffic because anyone that moves to Georgia knows you live near your work or you will have a drive. But guess what? Traffic in Ft. Lauderdale sucked too and I heard it has gotten worse.

I got a good deal on my home, my property taxes are cheap, my homeowners insurance is a joke...

I don't miss the beach that much and we have lakes and pools, etc. If you have to have a beach...just take a drive!

I don't know about pay...I am getting the same pay as my co-workers in South Florida and I know my standard of living is better.

So...I guess it depends who you ask
Sounds good to me..payscale wont matter to us either as my husband is an OTR trucker and I am a waitress so our payscales(assuming we are still wonderfully hospitable and timely lol) as we are here in SWFL(Naples).
I am not worried about traffic...sucks doesnt even begin to describe it here in Naples(on or off season) and the taxes (talk about a joke...NOT) and the homeowners...(Damn) I cant afford not to move. I have heard wonderful things about GA and we are planning a trip there next month to see if it is as good as everyone says it is..I think we will be happy from evertying and everyone we have heard from in great detail...If you have anything further to suggest or advise on please do...PM or here whatever you like...Thanks for your info..It helped me ALOT...Lisa

Old 06-30-2007, 01:04 PM

70 posts, read 295,899 times
We moved from crime ridden Ft. Lauderdale to very near Athens.I grew up in
So. Fl, been there since 1st grade and do not miss it one bit. Georgians wave and say hi, they are pleasant to deal with and very respectfull. Their children are religous and well mannered. I am here since beginning of March 07 and I love it. The golf courses are amazingly beautiful and difficult. Added 10 strokes to my game. The roads are well maintained and the scenery is gorgeous. I am so glad we moved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia