Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 04:18 PM

54 posts, read 134,182 times

Advertisements

Ok,after a week of posting threads on this board about relocting from washington,dc to atl,ga i had alot of insight some bad most good and usefull. somone told me to look in a area called johns creek and i was on aha1s web site and i couldn`t find such count or townetc. can anybody tell me what part of georgia is johns creek located please? i am just trying to find a safe nice place to raise my kids go back to school further my education and hopefully get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM

before anybody read yhis and point out my mistakes i know i missed spelled some words one being relocating,and i meant aha`s website and county instead of count.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Johns Creek is in North Fulton county (Johns Creek, Georgia - Find out what's new from the official City website) It is a new city that is just a few years old, which is why it is not on some maps. It is a fairly well-off suburban area.

I saw part of your other postings. I didn't really pay too much attention after all the trash being thrown around.

North Fulton County is really nice, but will also be pricey. Gwinnett and Cobb Counties will have good suburban school systems, but have more areas in different price points. They will be longer drives to work and lack expansive or good transit. They do have lots of retail places to work. I don't know how Sec. 8 housing works exactly to be honest, but you will have a harder time finding Sec 8 housing in Cobb, North Fulton, or Gwinnett. If any posters know differently...please correct me.

South Dekalb will be cheaper and has different types of areas to live in. The school system isn't as great as the north metro area. I would suspect most of the Sec. 8 Housing areas would be in South Atlanta, Clayton County, and Dekalb County. Clayton County's school system lost their accreditation a few years ago, so I would be cautious about moving there. Dekalb County is probably the nicer of those three options. Another another forum someone mentioned the City of Decatur (in Dekalb County). This would be a good option in that it is slowly becoming an "up and coming area." If you can use Sec. 8 to buy here. There is a good chance the property will increase in value over 15-20 years. I would also give the City of Decatur schools an edge over the county schools.

Also, I don't want to discourage you, but D.C. has had a more stable economy during this recession. I would recommend visiting Atlanta, try starting to look for a job before moving down. I would also consider trying to line up job interviews while in DC and then stay in an extended stay hotel (about $150/week) for a few weeks, while you are interviewing and continue look for jobs. Another option might be to delay a move for a year or two while the economy recovers if you can. (I don't know what your purpose for moving here or leaving DC is)

You might want to give a few more detail about what you are looking for and what constraints you have... where you are looking at working? That might help other posters give you better advice.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 AM

ok that was very imsightfull i appreciate it and currently i am a stay at home mom who wishes to further my education and seek job placement i don`t know how colleges,trade schools,etc. is in atlanta but my reasons for wanting to leave dc is simply because i feel dc is not the same dc that it used to be i dont want to raise my kids here not saying atlanta equals better but its few people that actually tries to pursue others like myself not to move to atlanta,perhaps maybe because they catorgorize me and feel that since i aint provide enough in-debt info about my goals,achievements,and overall purpose that i am just another person with no real purpose for success coming to their city.i dont know but i cant wait any longer to relocate so if it dont be atlanta or any parts of georgia i honestly have to look into other cities.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 AM

typo i meant insightfull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia